Mr.Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E -Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Hi, I'm confused.. I'm taking a trip and my destination only has a Tesla Charging station.. My ? is, will my Lectron Tesla Adapter work?
Thanks in Advance..
Doug
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
It depends on what type of Tesla station. Need more info.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Google TeslaTap

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Is a Tesla destination charger the same as a Tesla Wall Charger?
Roughly yes, I don't know if they've done this yet but the rumor is the newer generation wall connectors communicate the VIN # as well and could potentially block non-Tesla vehicles

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Tesla charging adapters (such as the TeslaTap and Lectron) work at Tesla AC chargers (such as home chargers, destination chargers at businesses, public chargers, and even Tesla mobile chargers).

They DO NOT work at Tesla DC chargers (aka Tesla SuperChargers).

I have the TeslaTap version (they claim to be the original) and it has instructions on the handle (and in the box) that specifically says to:

1. Connect the adapter to the Tesla charge cord FIRST.
2. Connect to your car SECOND.

(oh, and they suggest waiting a few seconds. My instructions say to wait 30 seconds although when I see people demo this they never wait 30 seconds ... but they do wait a few seconds. Apparently something in the adapter gets power from the Tesla charger, wakes up, negotiates, and is then ready to connect to the car.)

Apparently doing it in the right order matters.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Tesla charging adapters (such as the TeslaTap and Lectron) work at Tesla AC chargers (such as home chargers, destination chargers at businesses, public chargers, and even Tesla mobile chargers).

They DO NOT work at Tesla DC chargers (aka Tesla SuperChargers).

I have the TeslaTap version (they claim to be the original) and it has instructions on the handle (and in the box) that specifically says to:

1. Connect the adapter to the Tesla charge cord FIRST.
2. Connect to your car SECOND.

(oh, and they suggest waiting a few seconds. My instructions say to wait 30 seconds although when I see people demo this they never wait 30 seconds ... but they do wait a few seconds. Apparently something in the adapter gets power from the Tesla charger, wakes up, negotiates, and is then ready to connect to the car.)

Apparently doing it in the right order matters.
Do you find that it's really useful having one on hand, or have you found that there are enough L3/L2 chargers around your destinations that you really haven't needed it much?

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
Do you find that it's really useful having one on hand, or have you found that there are enough L3/L2 chargers around your destinations that you really haven't needed it much?
I think the answer to this will vary by location, and over time. You should use an app like ABRP, PlugShare or Chargeway to inspect the available chargers along your route a few days before you travel to decide.

That said, in my personal experience I have road-tripped from Chicago to Denver and day tripped around both and never needed to use a Tesla station. IMHO, as long as you are on a commonly traveled route, have the portable charger in the trunk, and allow enough time if you absolutely must use a 110v outlet you will be just fine. And new stations are being added all the time (and I anticipate many more rural stations will pop up as the F-150 Lightning comes to market).

Last edited:

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Curious... Can Teslas charge at EA and other non-Tesla superchargers? Do they have an adapter to use other superchargers?

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Curious... Can Teslas charge at EA and other non-Tesla superchargers? Do they have an adapter to use other superchargers?
There's not really a good CCS adapter (yet), but there is a CHAdeMO adapter you can use to charge at EA. Also some 3rd party stations now include Tesla connectors.

Right now it seems limited to 50KW charging using those adapters

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
They can use a Chademo adapter. So they are limited to 50kw charging on a non-tesla fast charger.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Great question! I needed one just a few weeks ago.

I had a death in the family requiring a trip to another state. I found a hotel with charging (two J1172 stations and two Tesla stations). The hotel was having a problem with their J1172.

Turns out the stations were mis-wired. Each station was meant to have it's own breaker, but the electrician wired both J1172's to the same breaker ... so if two EV's charged at the same time it would pop. The other car was an Audi Q6 plug-in hybrid. That was lucky for me because PHEVs don't have big batteries so I figured it would probably be full in an hour or so ... and once the Audi completed it's charge, my car was able to charge.

But the Tesla stations were empty ... if I had the adapter it would have solved the problem.

I had ordered the TeslaTap but unfortunately it didn't arrive in time.

(I had worked out some backup logistics because for all I knew the hotels chargers might be completely taken.)
Sponsored