Next Gen Mustang - why not just create an electric 2 door Mustang Coupe and GT from the Mach-e platform?

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The next generation Mustang (aka S650) is reportedly going to use the same platform (or at least some components) as the new Explorer. Ford has said it will offer ICE, as well as Hybrid, AWD and at some point a BEV. I'm wondering why Ford would not just create an electric 2 door Mustang Coupe and GT from the Mach-e platform?
Sponsored

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
The next generation Mustang (aka S650) is reportedly going to use the same platform (or at least some components) as the new Explorer. Ford has said it will offer ICE, as well as Hybrid, AWD and at some point a BEV. I'm wondering why Ford would not just create an electric 2 door Mustang Coupe and GT from the Mach-e platform?
Because the proportions would be all wrong.

The Mach-E's wheelbase (driven by the battery) is 10" longer than Mustang's.

The cowl is too high, the battery is too tall.

It wouldn't have Mustang proportions if they used the Mach-E underpinnings.

A thinner battery is needed, and a new architecture with a very low cowl.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
I think theyre making a mistake by offering all those variations. They will be spreading themselves thin trying to try and get market cap. They should really concentrate on PHEV and BEV's

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Could it look like this?

F013A3EE-B136-4D96-BD9D-FE1F49267FA7.jpeg

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Simply, the Mach E platform is pure electric, and the Mustang is ICE with a driveshaft for RWD. Their architectures are as different as Apples and Windows. You know how it's hard to shoehorn an electric drivetrain onto an ICE platform? It's similarly difficult to shoehorn an ICE onto an electric platform.

It's why the Fusion Energi (I loved mine!), for example, has an awesome grocery trunk, but a not-nice vacation trunk.

The hybrid and electric F150 are different, because they're body-on-frame (full chassis). There's a lot of space available on the existing chassis for electrification. The tophat doesn't have to change substantially or at all to fit on a full chassis.

I don't know the full details on the S650, and I probably wouldn't be able to share. I'm guessing, though, that we're going to try really damned hard to make hybrid/ICE/EV underbodies that interface with a single tophat. I'm not even sure if S650 or future model will be EV.
Sponsored