Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 MME Prem LR-RD; 2013 Focus Electric
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
This https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/apple-car-play-ios-16-car-manufacturers-features?op=1 is a good overview of the next generation Apple Car Play that will be released with iOS 16 in Sept'22. Apple's WWDC Keynote devoted more time to it and also showed off several visuals, two of which were taken directly of the Mach-E's instrument cluster and center screen. Notable by their absence from the list of companies supporting the new Car Play are Tesla, Gubment Motors and Fiat-Chrysler, or whatever its current name is.

Although the new Car Play will be released with iOS 16, the new screens may not show up until 2023, according to Apple. Either way, it looks like a compelling upgrade.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/apple-car-play-ios-16-car-manufacturers-features?op=1 is a good overview of the next generation Apple Car Play that will be released with iOS 16 in Sept'22. Apple's WWDC Keynote devoted more time to it and also showed off several visuals, two of which were taken directly of the Mach-E's instrument cluster and center screen. Notable by their absence from the list of companies supporting the new Car Play are Tesla, Gubment Motors and Fiat-Chrysler, or whatever its current name is.

Although the new Car Play will be released with iOS 16, the new screens may not show up until 2023, according to Apple. Either way, it looks like a compelling upgrade.
I wonder how long it will take Job 1 cars to get that update? We can bet which will come first: support for iOS 16 CarPlay or the remote frunk release 😀😀😀

OP
OP

HBGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 MME Prem LR-RD; 2013 Focus Electric
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
The Frunk Release functionality will likely precede it. According to the WWDC announcement, the new Car Play will show up in vehicles in late 2023. The functionality is enabled in iOS 16, but what will be evident to us in Sep'22 isn't clear. I recently received an update to CarPlay that enabled better navigation, etc. that showed up out of the blue - not pass of a Ford OTA, not part of an iOS update.

As much as I like the idea of reconfiguring some of Ford's screens, I'd like to be able to test it out before deploying in my Mach-E.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I wonder how long it will take Job 1 cars to get that update? We can bet which will come first: support for iOS 16 CarPlay or the remote frunk release 😀😀😀
I actually don’t think it will be that difficult. With CarPlay the phone is doing all of the processing, the car just needs to provide the data in one place.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I actually don’t think it will be that difficult. With CarPlay the phone is doing all of the processing, the car just needs to provide the data in one place.
Oh, I don’t doubt that it’s MUCH simpler than implementing a remote frunk release! 😀

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I doubt any of the Mach-Es on the road right now will ever see this update.
as for the Frunk update, maybe, some day, if we’re good.