First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I just noticed that NHTSA is finally publishing side crash and rollover ratings for our vehicle. The Mustang Mach-E achieves 5 stars in both categories, and it receives positive marks for including all of NHTSA's recommended safety technologies as standard equipment.

These test results apply to 2021 through 2023 model years, so I expect we'll start seeing 5-star results on new vehicle window stickers soon.

Front crash ratings haven't been published. Therefore the overall safety rating and technical report aren't yet available.

Side crash testing involved the sacrifice of a 2021 Space White Select and took place in March of this year, according to the imagery NHTSA is sharing on its web site.

Ford Mustang Mach-E NHTSA safety ratings starting to be published for 2021-2023 Mach-E v14076P039

Ford Mustang Mach-E NHTSA safety ratings starting to be published for 2021-2023 Mach-E v14078P039

Ford Mustang Mach-E NHTSA safety ratings starting to be published for 2021-2023 Mach-E 1667628655586

More at the source:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/FORD/MUSTANG%2520MACH-E/SUV/RWD#safety-ratings-frontal

Drr1232

First Name
DonRam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-E Premium (RIP)
Country flag
Well, I can say from personal experience this is true. The car held up well and protected me very well after getting t-boned from a guy who ran a stop sign. Hit me right on the driver's side. Still got some lingering back issues but went out and got another MME.

Mmejbx23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I just got my window sticker for my 23 late last week and it does have 5 stars listed for the side and rollover lines on it.

Kafka

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE Nite Pony Vapor Blue
Occupation
Techie
Country flag
About the Front Crash Test Results, it's weird, because the NHTSA site for the MME lists the Frontal Crash Category and sub-categories Front Driver Side and Front Passenger Side as "(Not Rated)", whereas Side Crash and Rollvoer Categories report results (5 stars for all sub-categories).

I assumed that all tests are mandatory, but some posters seem to imply that they just haven't finished writing the report for the frontal crash in particular. But this Frontal Crash Test result is missing even for the 2021 and 2022 models, long enough to have finalized those test reports.

Is it possible that the test results are just so bad that they are choosing not to submit results for those tests?

My concern is that a car with an ICE has a big hunk of metal helping to armor the car in a frontal crash, but in an EV, the front is largely empty space (hence the Frunk)... with a lightweight Aluminum frame.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
About the Front Crash Test Results, it's weird, because the NHTSA site for the MME lists the Frontal Crash Category and sub-categories Front Driver Side and Front Passenger Side as "(Not Rated)", whereas Side Crash and Rollvoer Categories report results (5 stars for all sub-categories).

I assumed that all tests are mandatory, but some posters seem to imply that they just haven't finished writing the report for the frontal crash in particular. But this Frontal Crash Test result is missing even for the 2021 and 2022 models, long enough to have finalized those test reports.

Is it possible that the test results are just so bad that they are choosing not to submit results for those tests?

My concern is that a car with an ICE has a big hunk of metal helping to armor the car in a frontal crash, but in an EV, the front is largely empty space (hence the Frunk)... with a lightweight Aluminum frame.
Sandy off You Tube talked how the design made the front wheel help block frontal and off set impacts.

Kafka

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE Nite Pony Vapor Blue
Occupation
Techie
Country flag
Sandy off You Tube talked how the design made the front wheel help block frontal and off set impacts.
I have watched some of their videos, but not all of the Mach-e ones.
Which video is that in?

And why would Ford opt not to conduct the Frontal Collission testing under NHTSA like it was done for the Side, etc. Collision tests, unless they know that the results are not going to be good and will generate bad PR?

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
And why would Ford opt not to conduct the Frontal Collission testing under NHTSA like it was done for the Side, etc. Collision tests, unless they know that the results are not going to be good and will generate bad PR?
NHTSA pays for the vehicles it tests for crash worthiness. As far as I know, manufacturers do not play a role in deciding which tests are published. Also, we don't know that frontal collision testing wasn't performed. Maybe it was, and the results are still being analyzed and reviewed? Or maybe NHTSA only purchased one vehicle?

NHTSA isn't able to test every new vehicle due to budgetary constraints. Here's a bit more info about that:

IIHS tested the Mustang Mach-E very early on... We discussed it here:

Euro NCAP, the European Union's equivalent to NHTSA's star rating system, also tested the Mach-E:

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Crumple zones are good at reducing kinetic energy that transfers into the cabin by absorbing force over a distance and redirecting vectors outward rather than in the direction of impact. Big hunks of metal don't tend to crumple, but they will find the next thing that will, like your legs.
Sponsored