Nissan Ariya Debut on July 15th

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
To be fair, the published specs of the MME fall short of the Model Y in basically all the important metrics: range, charging speed, and acceleration. Plus that you've got the whole thing of Supercharger Network being superior to the CCS network.

We'll have to see what the MME is really made of in a couple-three months.
Depends on what you consider important. I see the Model 3 and Y lack a lot of basic car features, likely due to reduce cost. The Mach E has almost all the typical car features other cars on the market have.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Sounds like I should have researched this a little better before ordering a Mach-E haha. So....taking a cross-country, or long road trip will be a hassle for us?
No, not really. When it comes to charging, city to city driving should not be a problem in the MME. We also will benefit from further development in the CCS network between now and the MME debut in 5 months.

I think Ford has learned a lot about the Tesla owner experience, both good and bad, and is trying to improve upon the best parts of why people love their Teslas.

If the Ariya is indeed CHAdeMO, then it's pretty limited in its useful road trip range. Electrify America reluctantly only has a single CHAdeMO adapter and they're limited to just 50kW.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No, not really. When it comes to charging, city to city driving should not be a problem in the MME. We also will benefit from further development in the CCS network between now and the MME debut in 5 months.

I think Ford has learned a lot about the Tesla owner experience, both good and bad, and is trying to improve upon the best parts of why people love their Teslas.

If the Ariya is indeed CHAdeMO, then it's pretty limited in its useful road trip range. Electrify America reluctantly only has a single CHAdeMO adapter and they're limited to just 50kW.
A revised CHAdeMO 2.0 specification allows for up to 400 kW. Let's see if charging companies in the US go beyond 50 kW. If not, that is their Achilles' Heel. Per ChargePoint:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Nissan Ariya Debut on July 15th ChargePoint_Leaf_Plus_chargin

A Leaf Plus with a 62 kWh battery charges to 80% in 45 minutes on a 100 kW charger. For a 300 mile range, the Ariya will have to have a 50% larger battery. That's well over an hour for an 80% charge. With most CHAdeMO chargers at no more than 50 kWh, those are 2 hour charges (4 at the common 25 kWh CHAdeMO stations).

I'm definitely not a fan of the looks. It looks like a love-child of a Model X and a Lexus RX, and it got the worst of both deals with the Lexus' nose!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Nissan Ariya Debut on July 15th Screenshot 2020-07-03 09.41.21

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The market has pretty much decided that CCS is the standard going forward. It would be suicide for Nissan to go with CHAdeMO for any new product. Guess we'll find out for sure on July 15.

The specs seem great though. AWD, 300mi range, <5 seconds 0-60mph, along with handsfree driving capability.

Personally, I'd be open to the Ariya if it were CCS and the charging speed was adequately sufficient but it's the upcoming Kia EV is the one I'm really looking forward to and is the crossover I'm most likely to ditch my Mach-E reservation for if the looks and price work to my favor.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I'm definitely not a fan of the looks. It looks like a love-child of a Model X and a Lexus RX, and it got the worst of both deals with the Lexus' nose!
In all fairness, very few production models look like the concept vehicles. We'll see in a couple of weeks what it will actually look like... although, as a Nissan, I'm sure it will have "love it or hate it" aesthetics.
It'll be interesting if they can really claim 300 mi. range with <5 sec 0-60 and price of $40k. I suspect that's a mix of specs for different trims and models, and what you get for the starting model at $40k is not that range and acceleration. In fact, that range and acceleration may also be for two different trims.
But it'll be worth checking out.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It'll be interesting if they can really claim 300 mi. range with <5 sec 0-60 and price of $40k. I suspect that's a mix of specs for different trims and models, and what you get for the starting model at $40k is not that range and acceleration. In fact, that range and acceleration may also be for two different trims.
Yes, just like Ford's marketing of the Mach E.

Evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Nissan jumping into the SUV game after already having the Leaf might be difficult... Not sure about anyone else, but one of the deciding factors for me of getting a Mach-E was to be able to take advantage of the $7,500 tax credit. A lot of the other big car makers, and big future electric car makers (Tesla, Nissan, Chevy, Toyota) have all exhausted their allocation of cars eligible for the full tax credit. If I'm paying full price (read: no tax credit), honestly, I'm probably going to buy a Tesla....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Nissan jumping into the SUV game after already having the Leaf might be difficult... Not sure about anyone else, but one of the deciding factors for me of getting a Mach-E was to be able to take advantage of the $7,500 tax credit. A lot of the other big car makers, and big future electric car makers (Tesla, Nissan, Chevy, Toyota) have all exhausted their allocation of cars eligible for the full tax credit. If I'm paying full price (read: no tax credit), honestly, I'm probably going to buy a Tesla....
I would have preferred a bigger vehicle than the Leaf, and certainly more range, when we got it. the lack of the tax credit just means it needs to be priced $7500 less to be competitive.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A lot of the other big car makers, and big future electric car makers (Tesla, Nissan, Chevy, Toyota) have all exhausted their allocation of cars eligible for the full tax credit. If I'm paying full price (read: no tax credit), honestly, I'm probably going to buy a Tesla....
Has Nissan exhausted the credit? I thought they were at approximately 140 or 150k in sales at the end of 2019. With U.S. sales of the Leaf at only 12-13k per year, they'd have the credit still now and even by the time the Ariya launches.

Edit: And Toyota? I don't think they even have 120K in qualifying sales. The only ones who have exhausted the full tax credit are Tesla and Chevy.

Last edited:

vikramb92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021, Volt 2017, Ford Focus Electric 2013
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Tesla and GM exhausted their tax credits and are being followed by Ford and Nissan which are actually pretty close (140K to 150K) to each other and will probably run out of credits in the next couple years. Toyota on the other hand has been pretty critical of plugins and they have a lot more credits to go through similar to FCA.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
The pictures show a charge door outline on the left and right side. Not sure if that means left hand and right hand vehicle, or two doors like the Audi Etron, in which case it would be smart to put both Chademo and CCS.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I love that the MME is mentioned. Every new EV launched has been compared to Tesla products, as they remain the benchmark. and probably will be for a long time. However, it's great to see that, even though it hasn't even hit the roads yet, the MME is already being mentioned as another point of comparison.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
On paper, the Ariya works out. Kudos to Nissan for building a quality EV with respectable specifications.
  • CCS
  • 63 or 87 kWh usable battery packs
  • AWD or FWD
  • Liquid cooled
  • 225-300mi range
  • 130kW DC fast charging
  • 75% of range in 30min on 150kW charger
  • 0-60 in 5.1 seconds
  • OTA updates
  • Available 2021
  • Starting price $40k for 63kWh FWD
Sponsored