NJ BPU plans to reboot the rebate, lower it to 2,500 below 45K/1,000 @45K-55K

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
Just got a message from BPU. They are proposing to reboot the program by moving some money and revising the incentive structure. This would take effect soon, once approved by the Board.

The revisions include cutting the incentive to $2,500 below 45K; $1,000 45-55K. They are planning to move $20 million from other funds to finish out the rest of the fiscal year.

They are taking comments. These are due 10/12 but better yet would be to register to give testimony at a public hearing (on Zoom). The public hearing is 9/30 at 1:00 p.m.

Looks like grabbing that $5K for my base select was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'll likely be keeping this car a LONGG time.

For those wondering whether to buy or wait, you should definitely make your voices heard.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just got a message from BPU. They are proposing to reboot the program by moving some money and revising the incentive structure. This would take effect soon, once approved by the Board.

The revisions include cutting the incentive to $2,500 below 45K; $1,000 45-55K. They are planning to move $20 million from other funds to finish out the rest of the fiscal year.

They are taking comments. These are due 10/12 but better yet would be to register to give testimony at a public hearing (on Zoom). The public hearing is 9/30 at 1:00 p.m.

Looks like grabbing that $5K for my base select was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'll likely be keeping this car a LONGG time.

For those wondering whether to buy or wait, you should definitely make your voices heard.
So virtually no rebate at all :rolleyes:

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
They went through that $30 mil in phase 2 very fast......I would love to know how many cars were in phase 1 and how many in phase 2.......it would seem to me, in our small, but populated state, that the amount of cars sold under the charge up incentive program was very large.....

Was phase 1 also $30 mil??, does anyone remember??......

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, the original budget was supposed to be $30M per year, but I am pretty sure they cut the phase 1 program short last year - I want to say somewhere around $18M. There's no way in hell that there were enough EV's sold to eat $30m in 3 months this year. Assuming an average of $3000 per car that would mean 10,000 EV's hit NJ roads in 3 months. Granted some of the money went to those who ordered before December 15th last year and got those orders by March 15, but that would be a staggering number of EV's given the total volume that sell nationwide in a year.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
on their website, under available funds, they show several $100,000 left of the $30 mil for phase 2.....I agree $60 mil represents many, many new EV's......I wonder if we'll ever know the true number of EV's sold in the 2 phases....

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Governor Murphy Launches Year Three of Charge Up New Jersey Electric Vehicle Incentive Program and Unveils New Residential EV Charger Program

Ok folks. Heres the rebate program for NJ.

The problem is you need to have ordered or got a car as of July 25th, 2022. Since I got my 2 allready. And one was just last month.

I am SOL......

DAM, this state is terrible. There a pittance in there for chargers. I have to go through the paperwork. So anyone thst JUST ORDERED OR JUST GOT THIER CARS, GET ON IT. best of luck.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
you had to order AFTER that date
Yes. We can all read that. Thank you Max. Lol...or take delivery after that date and only withing the BOPU time frame. I spoke to 2 people yesterday and one today.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yes. We can all read that. Thank you Max. Lol...or take delivery after that date and only withing the BOPU time frame. I spoke to 2 people yesterday and one today.
yes we can all read that,,,,but you said one had to order or take delivery "as of July 25, 2022"......Charge Up says AFTER that date....2 different things, no???.......or am I not reading what you wrote correctly.....I too am just trying to get the correct info out there....

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
yes we can all read that,,,,but you said one had to order or take delivery "as of July 25, 2022"......Charge Up says AFTER that date....2 different things, no???.......or am I not reading what you wrote correctly.....I too am just trying to get the correct info out there....
My mistake. I apologise for that. BUT you sure read it right.

Maybe youll be happy to just hang me. Lol

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
it's just about the correct info that's all......not about you or me......as they used to say on a very, very old TV show "just the facts".....having gone through the incentive program in year 1, I know how annoying, frustrating it can be.......good luck and the best to all.......

and I have absolutely no desire to "hang you" at all.....we all just try our best.......

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
it's just about the correct info that's all......not about you or me......as they used to say on a very, very old TV show "just the facts".....having gone through the incentive program in year 1, I know how annoying, frustrating it can be.......good luck and the best to all.......

and I have absolutely no desire to "hang you" at all.....we all just try our best.......
Thank you Max. I was pretty frustrated not being able to get in on the program. And like I said, just trying to get the word out on here. So any one on this site, thats is able to get the money, finds out.

"JUST THE FACTS MA'AM"

Sgt. Friday.
Sponsored