Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thats fantastic, here in Illinois the yearly registrations are going up for EV cars

Nice doggy, looks like mine

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am very very sorry to hear that. I feel your loss. We lost our first Dashound about 8 yrs ago. She started having seizures and two days later gone. This is Tia, she just turned 8 and very spoiled.

Thanks

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I am very very sorry to hear that. I feel your loss. We lost our first Dashound about 8 yrs ago. She started having seizures and two days later gone. This is Tia, she just turned 8 and very spoiled.

Thanks
She's a cutie! Lucy was a very spoiled girl, too

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag
This new rebate could be trouble for Ford in NJ. We have a reservation and have initially selected the Premium Extended Range AWD, MSRP $58,700. Which is over the $55k limit (obviously). It looks like you won’t be able to get a Premium with ER for less than $56k. By contrast, a Model Y AWD Long Range is coming in less than $55k. This may tip the scales in Tesla’s favor for us. I wonder how many others will consider the same?

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This new rebate could be trouble for Ford in NJ. We have a reservation and have initially selected the Premium Extended Range AWD, MSRP $58,700. Which is over the $55k limit (obviously). It looks like you won’t be able to get a Premium with ER for less than $56k. By contrast, a Model Y AWD Long Range is coming in less than $55k. This may tip the scales in Tesla’s favor for us. I wonder how many others will consider the same?
Yes, but with Ford you get the $7500 federal rebate instead of the $5000 state rebate - at least in 2021. The extended range California edition is under the limit, although it does not have AWD. When the commission implements the program, they could allow for manufacturer rebates to get the price under the $55k threshold - we'll have to see what comes out by July.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, but with Ford you get the $7500 federal rebate instead of the $5000 state rebate - at least in 2021. The extended range California edition is under the limit, although it does not have AWD. When the commission implements the program, they could allow for manufacturer rebates to get the price under the $55k threshold - we'll have to see what comes out by July.
My back of the envelope Still shows Tesla slightly ahead. I think I got $52k for Model Y and $56k for the cheapest ER Premium. So already $4k cheaper, plus the $5k from NJ. So I’d be slightly better off with a car that claims better range and is faster (though not as nice looking) plus there’s a Supercharger only 3 miles from my house. I love the way the Mach E looks, but I better hope for some incentive magic because my better half may not agree that it is worth paying more. I hope something is done to change this.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The California edition is $52,400 and has almost all that the same bells and whistles as the ER premium. The only thing you lose is heated seats and foot-control on the liftgate, but it has the extended range battery. If she doesn't know about those, then she can't nix them :cool:. With the NJ $5000 and fed $7500, you're talking a pretty big savings over the Tesla.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The California edition is $52,400 and has almost all that the same bells and whistles as the ER premium. The only thing you lose is heated seats and foot-control on the liftgate, but it has the extended range battery. If she doesn't know about those, then she can't nix them :cool:. With the NJ $5000 and fed $7500, you're talking a pretty big savings over the Tesla.
All good points. A lot to consider. I still wish Ford would drop the price a bit to get within the window and it’s a slam dunk.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
All good points. A lot to consider. I still wish Ford would drop the price a bit to get within the window and it’s a slam dunk.
Agreed, it would be nice but I don't think it will happen. I'm having a hard time selling the Mrs on keeping my convertible and getting an E (due to cost of insuring both in NJ), so I am pretty much stuck with the standard range of the Select edition. If I was willing to sell/trade-in the convertible, I would definitely get the route 1.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually you also lose power seat on the passenger side (silly?), You also have to compare to the equivalent Model Y (RWD ER) which is more “loaded”,
Agreed, it would be nice but I don't think it will happen. I'm having a hard time selling the Mrs on keeping my convertible and getting an E (due to cost of insuring both in NJ), so I am pretty much stuck with the standard range of the Select edition. If I was willing to sell/trade-in the convertible, I would definitely get the route 1.
It just annoys me the way they seem to cut off features that are either easy to implement in software or make little sense. Like why not have dual power + heated seats on the Route 1? I was just in SoCal last week and it was low 50s at night and my rental car heated seats were just right, so you can’t say you don’t need heated seats in a “California” edition. It just kind of bothers me that Ford may be up to the usual stupid auto MFR tricks as well. I’m not a Tesla fanboy by any means (have an F150 and love it), but Ford needs to realize they can’t compete on looks alone.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It just annoys me the way they seem to cut off features that are either easy to implement in software or make little sense. Like why not have dual power + heated seats on the Route 1? I was just in SoCal last week and it was low 50s at night and my rental car heated seats were just right, so you can’t say you don’t need heated seats in a “California” edition. It just kind of bothers me that Ford may be up to the usual stupid auto MFR tricks as well. I’m not a Tesla fanboy by any means (have an F150 and love it), but Ford needs to realize they can’t compete on looks alone.
Since they are offering the California edition at a cheaper price, they need to distinguish it feature-wise from the ER premium edition. Otherwise no one would buy an ER RWD premium edition. Tesla charges $2000 for red paint and $1000 for a non-black interior, which is more ludicrous IMHO.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I live in Jersey and I am having a hard time with this. I even sent my legislators emails saying the MSRP limit was too low and maybe not necessary at all. To no avail. I ordered an AWD Premium, extended battery which takes me to basically $60K. To get under the $55K limit, I have to forgo the extended battery. If I choose rear wheel drive and extended, still takes me past limit with Premium. As timbop said above, with the Select AWD, standard battery, final cost becomes $34,095 with Fed and State rebates, the Premium with AWD and standard battery, $40,800. California, $39,900. All are such compelling prices, that I am considering sacraficing my preference, what I ordered, and backing off on some item. While we don't get a ton of snow in NJ, I am nervous about getting a rear drive only car. And since this will be used as a commuter in all weather, AWD may outweigh range. Head is spinning. I want to be ready to pull the trigger when the time comes. First world problems, though.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
First world problems, though.
Ain't that the truth! I've been driving myself crazy, too, trying to figure out what the actual costs will be without adequate information. I have never had an AWD as my daily driver and most of the time that has been good enough - my '87 and 2000 mustangs had no ABS, traction control, or weight over the drive wheels and I muddled through the snow and ice when necessary. Lately my wife has had AWD/4WD SUVs so I have had that option in really bad weather (she works 2 miles from home), but not always (some of the time she has had FWD minivans). What I do have is the option of working from home in bad weather, which is the MUCH better way to go if your job permits it. So, I keep coming back to the RWD Standard range Select edition as the best compromise of cost and capability. The 230 mile range is sufficient for my current and future worst-case commutes (I'll move if my commute is over 100 miles), and we only get 5 to 10 really bad weather days so the RWD is "good enough". I'll be 55 next year, so as my wife points out we need to keep costs down. In my field my earning potential is likely on a downward trajectory AND we need to put more away for retirement rather than buying a sexier car.

In your case you'll have to skip the ER or AWD, and I would suggest that the ER is less useful than the AWD unless you have a long commute. The ER makes long trips more convenient if you don't have a second car, but having an AWD could actually prevent an accident.
Sponsored