NJ rebate - What should I ask the dealer?

ppm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E
Country flag
Hey guys,
I'm about to make a new online order and trying to understand how the rebate program works.
To get the maximum $5K NJ rebate the final price should be $45,000 or lower, correct? What additions, taxes or fees can be included in this cut-off price limit?
To receive the rebate money the program should be still available on he delivery date, correct? How can I know for how long the rebates are going to last?
And what should I make sure the dealer do from their side, they have to put it on the sticker price? Any other recommendation how to make sure it won't be missed or delayed?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Jd43325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Nitro
Country flag
Hey guys,
I'm about to make a new online order and trying to understand how the rebate program works.
To get the maximum $5K NJ rebate the final price should be $45,000 or lower, correct? What additions, taxes or fees can be included in this cut-off price limit?
To receive the rebate money the program should be still available on he delivery date, correct? How can I know for how long the rebates are going to last?
And what should I make sure the dealer do from their side, they have to put it on the sticker price? Any other recommendation how to make sure it won't be missed or delayed?
Thanks in advance!

Hey,

I just purchased a Mach E in NJ a month ago from a dealer.

In order to get the max $5k Charge Up NJ rebate the MSRP must be lower than $45k. I believe that you also have to factor in $1,110 destination/delivery charge as shown in the image below. This $42k car + $1,100 destination/delivery charge + comfort package becomes $46k. So even though the car is only $42 the packages and delivery charge put it over the $45k threshold

The only way to qualify for the $5,000 off the car would be to get a Mach E, RWD and no additional packages (no comfort or technology packages). Any additional package would cause the car to go over $45k with the delivery fee. And there is no way to get an AWD Mach E and still qualify for $5k off.

I would have loved the $5k off but decided that AWD is more important for NJ winters.

If the car MSRP is between $45k - $55k you will qualify for $2k off.

The dealer automatically signed me up through Charge up and the $2k automatically came off the price of my car.

NJ also has no sales tax on electric vehicles which automatically came off the price.

You will receive the $7,500 back when you do your federal taxes (as long as you have paid at least $7,500 in federal taxes this year)

Ford also has a $100 rebate right now.

So the best you will get off is

-NJ Charge up: $5k off if total MSRP < $45k
- No sales tax on electric vehicle in NJ ~$3k
- $7,500 federal credit
-$100 ford rebate

Don't quote me on this (since I didn't buy my car online) but I believe that when you purchase the car online you are allowed to use the rebates that were available when you physically purchased the car or the ones that are available when you pick up the car (Whatever ones are greater).

Attachments

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I believe that you also have to factor in $1,110 destination/delivery charge as shown in the image below.
Not entirely correct - in the past they have not incuded the D&D charge, but they do include any options like paint color and the tech packages. Any rebates or dealer fees are not included in the MSRP calculation. The net result is the same in that only the RWD select model without the comfort or appearance package qualifies FOR THE $5000 instead of $2000, but it is important to note the difference if shopping for other BEV's or if Ford changes pricing in 2022. As for how long it will last and if you could miss out on it, those are unknowns. NJ ended the mail-in program last December 15th, but if you had ordered your car before that date and received it by March 15th you were still eligible - which is how I got my rebate on my Mach E. However, no one here knows if they will do that again if the program runs out of money before next year's budget.

Last edited:

Jd43325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Nitro
Country flag
Not entirely correct - in the past they have not incuded the D&D charge, but they do include any options like paint color and the tech packages. Any rebates or dealer fees are not included in the MSRP calculation. The net result is the same in that only the RWD select model without the comfort or appearance package qualifies, but it is important to note the difference if shopping for other BEV's or if Ford changes pricing in 2022. As for how long it will last and if you could miss out on it, those are unknowns. NJ ended the mail-in program last December 15th, but if you had ordered your car before that date and received it by March 15th you were still eligible - which is how I got my rebate on my Mach E. However, no one here knows if they will do that again if the program runs out of money before next year's budget.
They reinstated the rebate program last month and instead of a mail in rebate the dealer completes the charge up NJ contract with you and you get the $2k or $5k immediately off the vehicle

https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562021/20210706a.shtml

I purchased my car a month go and received the $2k NJ rebate

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
They reinstated the rebate program last month and instead of a mail in rebate the dealer completes the charge up NJ contract with you and you get the $2k or $5k immediately off the vehicle

https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562021/20210706a.shtml

I purchased my car a month go and received the $2k NJ rebate
Yes I know; I corrected the language in my post to be more clear. I also didn't mention the fact that the ER AWD Mach E's are not ineligible for any rebate, so you can get EITHER ER or AWD if you want the $2000.

arkv

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
I purchased a Mach E Select AWD yesterday and as mentioned above, the 2K came off the price immediately. The eligibility criteria for the Charge Up program are given in detail here - Charge_Up_New_Jersey_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf (njcleanenergy.com) . Hopefully the following helps to clarify it. The destination and delivery charges are not included.

The MSRP cap will include all line items on the purchase or lease agreement which relate to the value of the vehicle itself (including but not limited to battery upgrades, autonomous upgrades, wheel and tire packages, audio and infotainment system). The MSRP cap will not include maintenance or vehicle care packages, additional vehicles accessories (ex: first aid kits, floor mats, cargo nets, etc.), destination and delivery charges, tax, registration fees, title fees, and documentation fees since these line items do not relate to the value of the vehicle itself, but rather to logistics, care, and maintenance of the vehicle

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
The best guarantee is to go to the lot and get one at any NJ dealer NOW. NJ still has the money in the budget.

i got a base select—no options—to get the $5K. Car is stupidly cheap with the 5K NJ rebate + 7500 fed tax credit + 2500 Ford options rebate. Like STUPIDLY cheap. For the money, best value in an EV. When paying so little, I’m much more forgiving of not having the heated seats or the pano roof or not even my first choice color. The car is still well equipped and looks fantastic—and I don’t even notice my monthly payment.

arkv

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
The best guarantee is to go to the lot and get one at any NJ dealer NOW. NJ still has the money in the budget.

i got a base select—no options—to get the $5K. Car is stupidly cheap with the 5K NJ rebate + 7500 fed tax credit + 2500 Ford options rebate. Like STUPIDLY cheap. For the money, best value in an EV. When paying so little, I’m much more forgiving of not having the heated seats or the pano roof or not even my first choice color. The car is still well equipped and looks fantastic—and I don’t even notice my monthly payment.
I had the same logic and decide to eat the 3K for an AWD. Great car after the rebates etc.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Governor Murphy Launches Year Three of Charge Up New Jersey Electric Vehicle Incentive Program and Unveils New Residential EV Charger Program

Ok folks. Heres the rebate program for NJ.

The problem is you need to have ordered or got a car as of July 25th, 2022. Since I got my 2 allready. And one was just last month.

I am SOL......

DAM, this state is terrible. There a pittance in there for chargers. I have to go through the paperwork. So anyone thst JUST ORDERED OR JUST GOT THIER CARS, GET ON IT. best of luck.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Governor Murphy Launches Year Three of Charge Up New Jersey Electric Vehicle Incentive Program and Unveils New Residential EV Charger Program

Ok folks. Heres the rebate program for NJ.

The problem is you need to have ordered or got a car as of July 25th, 2022. Since I got my 2 allready. And one was just last month.

I am SOL......

DAM, this state is terrible. There a pittance in there for chargers. I have to go through the paperwork. So anyone thst JUST ORDERED OR JUST GOT THIER CARS, GET ON IT. best of luck.
Yes, it's a bit silly that orders prior to Jul 25 aren't eligible, even if they haven't come in yet. Anyone ordering after July 25th won't get the car before the program runs out of money, either. So it is essentially an incentive for those paying markups for cars on the lots - and the cap is $50k MSRP so only Select and SR premium Mach-E's are eligible anyway.

** EDITED because the press release had a typo in it; the limit is actually still $55k **

Press release:
Ford Mustang Mach-E NJ rebate - What should I ask the dealer? Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.29.16 PM

Actual details of program: https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/

**** EDIT 2 ****
I emailed the deputy press secretary who sent the press release at 9:30pm tonight. He actually responded 15 minutes later to say that they would be correcting the press release.

Last edited:

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
the program just re-started and according to Charge Up NJ website, they have already used up 41% of the $60 mil set aside.......59% left, approx $35 mil.....to the OP, charger amount seems to be $250

NJ_MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E Select RWD wComfort/Tech, '16 Honda Fit
Country flag
Yes, it's a bit silly that orders prior to Jul 25 aren't eligible, even if they haven't come in yet. Anyone ordering after July 25th won't get the car before the program runs out of money, either. So it is essentially an incentive for those paying markups for cars on the lots - and the cap is $50k MSRP so only Select and SR premium Mach-E's are eligible anyway.
My understanding from the fine print is that if you order now (which you can't anyway, LOL) you can reserve your incentive now (through the dealer) even if it takes a year to come in. I believe this was the case last year as well. I'm really glad I moved when I did though (in January) because I get to drive around an at MSRP Mach-E now and those who waited are going to be looking at a much lower federal credit and a huge MY price increase, and will be waiting a while for the car.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Having gone through the program year 1, I would trust no one, call Charge Up NJ or email.....they were always VERY helpful when I dealt with them......getting the facts from them is better then "rumors"

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
I sure agree with you Tim. Its stupid as can be. I think I might buy another gas guzzler and pollute the air more. LOLOL

THANK YOU for a reply to me.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My understanding from the fine print is that if you order now (which you can't anyway, LOL) you can reserve your incentive now (through the dealer) even if it takes a year to come in. I believe this was the case last year as well. I'm really glad I moved when I did though (in January) because I get to drive around an at MSRP Mach-E now and those who waited are going to be looking at a much lower federal credit and a huge MY price increase, and will be waiting a while for the car.
If it works like before, there is a time limit after the program closes to file your claim. I lucked out in the first year and got my car February 16th after the program ended in December 2020, just before the last date to file in March 2021.
Sponsored

Last edited: