shoopla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE, '16 Volvo S60 CrossCountry, '16 XC60
Occupation
Proj Engineer
Country flag
I just leave mine sit in the garage when it's below 40 or snow on the ground here in PA, though I have driven it in some cold sub 40 degree mornings with warm afternoons. Fortunately I have a Volvo for winter, and honestly, if I had to trade it in to get the GTPE, I probably wouldn't have bought the GTPE in the first place to be my only car. I don't consider this trim to be "winter friendly" between low front fascia and high torque, even if it came with all-seasons. AWD doesn't automatically mean winter worthy in cars, even with all-season tires. But I have seen plenty of posts where people were to successfully install all-seasons tires and/or other wheels, with a trade-off in performance. Or just swap them out for the cold months.
I do agree that they should offer the magna-ride in other trims... I assume that is in the works for the next build cycle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
So what I'm hearing from most of you all is "performance" vehicles should only run on summer/warm weather tires because "performance" means sticking to the road at the fastest speeds possible. Question; so why can't that same logic apply in colder weather and snow. For me the term "performance" means getting the best out of a vehicle under all conditions.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
So what I'm hearing from most of you all is "performance" vehicles should only run on summer/warm weather tires because "performance" means sticking to the road at the fastest speeds possible. Question; so why can't that same logic apply in colder weather and snow. For me the term "performance" means getting the best out of a vehicle under all conditions.
This is why they are saying that all-seasons are a compromise for those who live in extremely cold or extremely warm climates. Winter tires are for use during coldest weather because they perform best in that temperature range. Summer tires perform better in warmer weather. ?‍♂??

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Then move to Florida so you aren’t a hazard to the rest of the people on the road where you live. If you live somewhere that regularly sees snow and/or ice you should be running winter tires anyway, not all seasons. All season are not snow tires. Ford did us all a favor by including high performance tires on their high performance vehicle instead of compromising on some crap generic all season tire that doesn’t perform as well when it’s warm and dry and still sucks in the snow. I had winter tires installed on mine a few days after I took delivery (middle of January) and kept the stock tires to put back on in the spring. Best of both worlds and the only way to get both results. It would have been far more disappointing to get the vehicle with all seasons that couldn’t match the performance of the vehicle and still sucked on snow and ice.
I live in Michigan and have an F-250 4X4 with a plow that has all season tires, and I can plow deep snow up a hill. I also have an all wheel drive Escape with all season tires that never gets stuck. All season tires work great with all wheel drive vehicles!

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
This is why they are saying that all-seasons are a compromise for those who live in extremely cold or extremely warm climates. Winter tires are for use during coldest weather because they perform best in that temperature range. Summer tires perform better in warmer weather. ?‍♂??
If someone gets some really good high performance all season tires I really don't think it makes that much of a difference unless you are competing on a race track, or drag racing someone, then maybe that extra tenth of a second would matter. I'm not that anal.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
The non-PE GT has all-seasons and its performance is almost the same as the GTPE. In fact some recent reviews shows that strangely non-PE GT is faster than the GTPE in a straight line.
So I don't buy the argument that GTPE needs summer tires because of its performance. They should provide the options who drive in cold climates so they are not forced to buy another set of wheels.

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
The non-PE GT has all-seasons and its performance is almost the same as the GTPE. In fact some recent reviews shows that strangely non-PE GT is faster than the GTPE in a straight line.
So I don't buy the argument that GTPE needs summer tires because of its performance. They should provide the options who drive in cold climates so they are not forced to buy another set of wheels.
Exactly my point, I just wanted the MagneRide suspension. People should have the option to order the the MagneRide with all season "performance" tires or summer "performance" tires.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
If someone gets some really good high performance all season tires I really don't think it makes that much of a difference unless you are competing on a race track, or drag racing someone, then maybe that extra tenth of a second would matter. I'm not that anal.
Exactly my point, I just wanted the MagneRide suspension. People should have the option to order the the MagneRide with all season "performance" tires or summer "performance" tires.
I'm not an expert, nor have a stayed in a Holiday Inn in decades...

The problem with your argument is 2-fold.

1) To get the full performance of the GT-PE, to the ground, requires the tire that's been sold with it. You can watch the episode of Leno's Garage, posted here and found on Youtube, where the Ford rep clearly states that. Therefore, your statement that you don't think it makes that much of a difference is correct - but you don't know.

Quote - "The tire technology is amazing. ...The reason this one has 634 is because of those summer Pirellis that are on here. We can actually get it to the ground."

2) If they allowed multiple tire combinations, then a dealer could order a GT-PE and sell it to a customer thinking they were getting the advertised performance / specs, and they wouldn't.

Also, as you can see by the overwhelming response here, geeks that are into cars like this don't care how many sets of tires / wheels they need to buy. Me - I drive what comes OEM until it must be replaced, and would never buy a car that came with summer tires unless I live in the warmer climates.

Last edited:

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
1) To get the full performance of the GT-PE, to the ground, requires the tire that's been sold with it.

2) If they allowed multiple tire combinations, then a dealer could order a GT-PE and sell it to a customer thinking they were getting the advertised performance / specs, and they wouldn't.
Porsche sells their cars including the Taycan, even the top performance Turbo model, with an option of either summer or all-season tires. BMW does that too for iX and their ICE cars, and many other manufacturers. They don't have these issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I'm not an expert, nor have a stayed in a Holiday Inn in decades...

The problem with your argument is 2-fold.

1) To get the full performance of the GT-PE, to the ground, requires the tire that's been sold with it. You can watch the episode of Leno's Garage, posted here and found on Youtube, where the Ford rep clearly states that. Therefore, your statement that you don't think it makes that much of a difference is correct - but you don't know.

Quote - "The tire technology is amazing. ...The reason this one has 634 is because of those summer Pirellis that are on here. We can actually get it to the ground."

Also, as you can see by the overwhelming response here, geeks that are into cars like this don't care how many sets of tires / wheels they need to buy. Me - I drive what comes OEM until it must be replaced, and would never buy a car that came with summer tires unless I live in the warmer climates.

The problem with your argument is 1-fold, simply put Ford can easily give separate specs for the vehicle for either set of proprietary tires offered. Again, this is about giving the consumer a choice at point of purchase.

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
GTPE people here seem to buy a 2nd set of wheels/tires for the winter months.
Or put the GTPE tucked into the garage for the winter months. I'll bring mine out in April. (like many higher end / GT Mustang owners)

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
I have/had summer performance tires on my Edge ST and previous 2 Edge Sports. I live in the PNW where every 2 years or so we get about 8-10inches of snow. I went uphill on a 20% grade with 4 inches on the ground and didn't have any problems. Not to mention, I had just gotten my car back from the body shop and it started to snow while I was waiting for my car to be finished. Multiple large SUVs were dumped on the side of the hill/sidewalk. Tires are only one part of the equation as most of the finesse is in the driving ability, type of snow (wet,dry,icy,etc...) and AWD/4WD capabilities.

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
While I would have liked it if there was an option to spec all-seasons, it wouldn't have helped me because I bought my PE off the lot.

Summer-tires-only on the performance model is not uncommon at all, it's just a thing (my previous car was exactly the same) that you get to deal with when buying the "performance model". I had another set of rims + winter tires for my last car. This time around I bought better Conti all-seasons than Ford puts on the GT, and am selling the summer tires. Hoping to get close to what I paid for the all-seasons, but no matter what happens it will be cheaper than a dedicated set of winter wheels + tires.

On a totally unrelated note, I am selling a lightly used set of Pirelli PZERO (PZ4) ELECT 245/45 R20 103Y XL if anyone is interested ;)

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Or put the GTPE tucked into the garage for the winter months. I'll bring mine out in April. (like many higher end / GT Mustang owners)
Hope your garage is heated so it stays above 45 degrees, I for one didn't buy my Mach E to be a garage sculpture for 5 months out of the year...

"The Pirelli P-Zero tire that is on the GTPE has this in it's description:
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in summer performance tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° F (7° C). The P-Zero, like all summer tires, are not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

This in the Pirelli P-Zero warranty section:
The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below 45° F (7°C) or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F (7°C), UHP summer tires are not recommended for lower temperature conditions."
Sponsored