Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Has anyone in the other half of the world (temperatures that can get below 45 degrees Fahrenheit) been able to get an explanation from Ford on why they won't provide all season tires as an option with the performance package. I don't think it is fair to force people living in the colder climates to choose between performance and safety when we should be able to have both. This is the first time I have ever had to throw away brand new tires off a brand new car in order to keep it functional safe. I can only assume Ford and Pirelli stuck up an agreement to only use a proprietary tire in the performance package. If that was the case why can't Pirelli offer an all season version tire with the performance package?
Sponsored

Last edited:

IceAge

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many too list?
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Great post and yes kinda a joke sell a AWD car that actually can’t be driven in the cold winter months?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Has anyone in the other half of the world (temperatures that can get below 45 degrees Fahrenheit) been able to get an explanation from Ford on why they won't provide all season tires as an option with the performance package. I don't think it is fair to force people living in the colder climates to choose between performance and safety when we should be able to have both. This is the first time I have ever had to throw away brand new tires off a brand new car in order to keep it functional safe. I can only assume Ford and Pirelli stuck up an agreement to only use a proprietary tire in the performance package. If that was the case why can't Pirelli offer an all season version tire with the performance package?
Short answer as to “why” probably has to do with the advertised 0-60 times. 3.5 wouldn’t happen on all seasons.

That said, isn’t this the case with most performance vehicles? They only come with summer tires?

Can you get the Mustang GT performance package with all seasons? Doesn’t seem so:
Ford Mustang Mach-E No all season tire option with GT performance edition 33241F0E-63A3-4B6D-A663-B3185884AEAF

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Great post and yes kinda a joke sell a AWD car that actually can’t be driven in the cold winter months?
Yup, found this in another post, which confirms the absurdity...

"The Pirelli P-Zero tire that is on the GTPE has this in it's description:
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in summer performance tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° F (7° C). The P-Zero, like all summer tires, are not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

This in the Pirelli P-Zero warranty section:
The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below 45° F (7°C) or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F (7°C), UHP summer tires are not recommended for lower temperature conditions."

IceAge

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many too list?
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I love this posting you have no idea how many arguments I have had just about this. And it gets violent being others will call you out and say that’s all hog wash and drive her no matter. You will truly be called out and yes all season or winter tires for sure.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I love this posting you have no idea how many arguments I have had just about this. And it gets violent being others will call you out and say that’s all hog wash and drive her no matter. You will truly be called out and yes all season or winter tires for sure.
Who is telling you to drive summer tires in freezing conditions?

I don’t think you’ll see that argument made here.

GTPE people here seem to buy a 2nd set of wheels/tires for the winter months.

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Short answer as to “why” probably has to do with the advertised 0-60 times. 3.5 wouldn’t happen on all seasons.

That said, isn’t this the case with most performance vehicles? They only come with summer tires?

Can you get the Mustang GT performance package with all seasons? Doesn’t seem so:
33241F0E-63A3-4B6D-A663-B3185884AEAF.jpg
All I really wanted was the MagneRide Damping System with all season tires. I think Ford's right hand doesn't know or care what it's left hand really needs. My EV should not be a track race car in sunny warm weather only vehicle. Ford need to step up and fix this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Who is telling you to drive summer tires in freezing conditions?

I don’t think you’ll see that argument made here.

GTPE people here seem to buy a 2nd set of wheels/tires for the winter months.
Why for the love of Pete should I, or need to? Not only would I have to buy another set of wheels/tire, but change them out twice a year. That's ridiculous, I'd rather move to Florida and be like you with one set of tires like a normal person! Oh wait, I can just get all season tires when I order up my Mach E GT PE... not!

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
???‍♂ Ford and many other makers eschew all-season performance for outright max grip in their Performance models, as @Mach1E has stated. The PP1 and PP2 GT coupes utilize summer tires only, as do the 1LE variants of the Camaro. Our son’s ‘17 WRX (non-STI) is awd and still comes exclusively on Dunlop summer tires. It’s common.

Ford has positioned the GTPE as a performance vehicle. So, if you want the best lateral and longitudinal grip #s, be prepared to have to switch to AS tires where temps are frequently below 40F and/or freezing precip occurs. It’s the cost of ownership. Otherwise, buy an MME GT.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
All I really wanted was the MagneRide Damping System with all season tires. I think Ford's right hand doesn't know or care what it's left hand really needs. My EV should not be a track race car in sunny warm weather only vehicle. Ford need to step up and fix this.
This is a bit extra. Summer tires are great in the wet if you get good ones, the summer moniker doesn’t mean only dry weather. And, they are plenty good down into the 40s F, especially with awd. Again, some better than others. When you buy the most dedicated performance model, it’s common for summer tires to be the sole option, like it or not.

And yes, Ford should and probably will offer MagneRide dampers on the reg GT before long. $1695, like the Mustang GT coupe.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why for the love of Pete should I, or need to? Not only would I have to buy another set of wheels/tire, but change them out twice a year. That's ridiculous, I'd rather move to Florida and be like you with one set of tires like a normal person! Oh wait, I can just get all season tires when I order up my Mach E GT PE... not!
Why should you need to? Because you live somewhere that it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Next are you going to rant that you have to wear a sweater when it gets cold?

It’s a performance vehicle. If you want the best performance and live somewhere it gets both hot and cold, you’ll need two sets of tires.

All-seasons are a compromise. And they suck at performance in both hot and cold weather. They don’t belong on a performance vehicle.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Almost all high performance vehicles come with summer tires. Car enthusiast understand and appreciate this. It's best for most enthusiasts to just buy an additional set of winter performance tires. This will allow the owner to extract the best performance from their vehicle during all 4 seasons.

IMO, the performance edition simply won't perform as expected on a set of all season tires. All season tires should be called no season tires because, to most enthusiasts, they're a joke 24/7/365

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
In Jay Leno's garage, it was stated that the tires on the GT-PE are what provides the extra torque to the road.

As stated, these types of tires are normal for this type of vehicle.

Ford can't claim performance that doesn't exist selling a vehicle "as equipped", now can they?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Why should you need to? Because you live somewhere that it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Next are you going to rant that you have to wear a sweater when it gets cold?

It’s a performance vehicle. If you want the best performance and live somewhere it gets both hot and cold, you’ll need two sets of tires.

All-seasons are a compromise. And they suck at performance in both hot and cold weather. They don’t belong on a performance vehicle.
Agree 95% - however, the newest AS UHP tires from Michelin (AS4) and Goodyear (Exhilarate) are now turning out lateral G and braking distances of the best summer tires from just a tire generation ago. .94+G and 70-0 braking in the 150s ft. Also, they have those 45K treadwear warrranties.

But yeah, the current best summers clearly beat them.

bristol16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, '15 SS
Country flag
Then move to Florida so you aren’t a hazard to the rest of the people on the road where you live. If you live somewhere that regularly sees snow and/or ice you should be running winter tires anyway, not all seasons. All season are not snow tires. Ford did us all a favor by including high performance tires on their high performance vehicle instead of compromising on some crap generic all season tire that doesn’t perform as well when it’s warm and dry and still sucks in the snow. I had winter tires installed on mine a few days after I took delivery (middle of January) and kept the stock tires to put back on in the spring. Best of both worlds and the only way to get both results. It would have been far more disappointing to get the vehicle with all seasons that couldn’t match the performance of the vehicle and still sucked on snow and ice.
Sponsored