No all season tire option with GT performance edition

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Porsche sells their cars including the Taycan, even the top performance Turbo model, with an option of either summer or all-season tires. BMW does that too for iX and their ICE cars, and many other manufacturers. They don't have these issues.
BMW and Porsche also sell vehicles with 50 different interior option combinations.

It doesn’t keep costs down.

The whole argument is silly though. You can very easily buy a GTPE and buy new tires. You can even sell the old ones!

And if $$ is a problem, sell the stock wheels and tires for MORE than aftermarket wheels and tires and you make a profit!

Bottom line? Unlike people who complain they can’t get mag ride on lower models, getting all season tires is very easy on a GTPE.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
BMW and Porsche also sell vehicles with 50 different interior option combinations.

It doesn’t keep costs down.

The whole argument is silly though. You can very easily buy a GTPE and buy new tires. You can even sell the old ones!

And if $$ is a problem, sell the stock wheels and tires for MORE than aftermarket wheels and tires and you make a profit!

Bottom line? Unlike people who complain they can’t get mag ride on lower models, getting all season tires is very easy on a GTPE.
Again like others here you have missed my point, I am not saying MagnaRide should be offered on lower models. I am saying that the GTPE should have "one" very important option, not "many", and that one option is to order it with all season tires.

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Why just not buy Pirelli winter tyres ? And switch when appropiate.
In the long run it is just as expensive as all season tyres

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Geez Louise I see now I have falling into a rabbit hole with this thread...
Again my point is not having to buy two sets of tires in the first place, we the customer should have this one very important option. It is too late for me and anyone else until Ford makes it an option. I speak now for the future Mach E GT PE customer.

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Geez Louise I see now I have falling into a rabbit hole with this thread...
Again my point is not having to buy two sets of tires in the first place, we the customer should have this one very important option. It is too late for me and anyone else until Ford makes it an option. I speak now for the future Mach E GT PE customer.
I would never want allseasons anyway. It is a compromise of both worlds. So they will never be good option. Especially not on a vehicle with that much power.

I do get your point.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I mean sure it sucks we have to buy a set of all seasons on the GTPE if we’re in colder climates but what can you do? You bought the performance model so Ford gives you the Performance tires. I drove them for a few days in very cold weather and it was scary lol like marble at points.
Undecided if I’ll sell the Pirellis now that I have Continental DWS06+. I don’t think it’s worth the hassle of swapping tires every six months, and I like the stock wheels more than any aftermarket I’ve seen.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Has anyone in the other half of the world (temperatures that can get below 45 degrees Fahrenheit) been able to get an explanation from Ford on why they won't provide all season tires as an option with the performance package. I don't think it is fair to force people living in the colder climates to choose between performance and safety when we should be able to have both. This is the first time I have ever had to throw away brand new tires off a brand new car in order to keep it functional safe. I can only assume Ford and Pirelli stuck up an agreement to only use a proprietary tire in the performance package. If that was the case why can't Pirelli offer an all season version tire with the performance package?
Nobody forced you to buy a car that is advertised to be delivered with summer-only tires. Your arguments are specious. If you want to drive a performance car in snow, buy snow tires. That way you do have both. Please let us know where you threw away roughly $1800 in brand new tires so someone with more sense than you can use these.

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Nobody forced you to buy a car that is advertised to be delivered with summer-only tires. Your arguments are specious. If you want to drive a performance car in snow, buy snow tires. That way you do have both. Please let us know where you threw away roughly $1800 in brand new tires so someone with more sense than you can use these.
Seriously...
Maybe you should read this entire thread before responding. By the way I don't need a second set of proprietary tires, all season tires do just fine in the snow.

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I would never want allseasons anyway. It is a compromise of both worlds. So they will never be good option. Especially not on a vehicle with that much power.

I do get your point.
Not much difference in power between the GT and GTPE, the only diff is when you order the MagnaRide suspension we don't get the option of an all season tire. There must be a lot of Pirelli summer tires on Ebay, lol. Thanks for getting my point.

OP
OP
Eugene

Eugene

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Because all season tires do just fine in the winter snow and ice. Ford puts them on the Mach E GT, but doesn't give the option with the GTPE. I'm not looking for a remedy, damage is done. Again my point is having the option to order a vehicle with the tires I want.

Cherlin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS , Premium EX4, 22' M3 SR+, R1T Order
Occupation
Electric Utilities - Management
Country flag
This is pretty standard for performance vehicles even with AWD. No All season option for my focus RS (And if there was I wouldn't buy it because it's stupid to me to buy the ultra performance spec of a vehicle and then completely gimp it with no-season tires).

Reading through this it appears you really only want all seasons and you think that is perfectly fine, but really getting a set of winter wheels and tires for actual winter driving will be MUCH better then all season. Doesn't matter how good you think all seasons are, summer tires are objectively better for dry grip and winters are objectively better for wet/snow/ice grip. Don't buy a performance edition of a vehicle if you don't actually care about its performance and you wont have this issue, or if you really really want your no-season tires then go ahead and buy some and put them on your car, but don't get pissy with ford for selling their flagship performance EV with only performance tires (I mean honestly, are you also upset that a GT500 only comes with Michelin cup-2 summer tires?)

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
Hope your garage is heated so it stays above 45 degrees, I for one didn't buy my Mach E to be a garage sculpture for 5 months out of the year...

"The Pirelli P-Zero tire that is on the GTPE has this in it's description:
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in summer performance tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° F (7° C). The P-Zero, like all summer tires, are not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
Good catch. My garage is at 35° F currently, up from 32° F earlier this morning. This could be a huge issue - people could expect not to *use* the summer tires in the winter due as they would be slick and cause material / rubber issues, but the near hidden statement not to be stored in cold is not evident. I suspect they'll be okay, but for sure will have to take a look. During Jan/Feb in Iowa I think the garage temp got to 25° F a few days.

And I probably don't want to move / drive the car at all while it's this cold. I have a heated garage I could drive it to (next door), but likely will just wait until it warms up in a week or two.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
If they put all season tires on the GTPE they would need to put an * on all those 0-60 times, and you would be complaining that you have to but extra equipment to achieve those advertised times. It’s almost like you’re looking for something to complain about.

Last edited:

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Has anyone in the other half of the world (temperatures that can get below 45 degrees Fahrenheit) been able to get an explanation from Ford on why they won't provide all season tires as an option with the performance package. I don't think it is fair to force people living in the colder climates to choose between performance and safety when we should be able to have both. This is the first time I have ever had to throw away brand new tires off a brand new car in order to keep it functional safe. I can only assume Ford and Pirelli stuck up an agreement to only use a proprietary tire in the performance package. If that was the case why can't Pirelli offer an all season version tire with the performance package?
I live in cold New Hampshire, USA and I prefer that it came with summer tires. I run my (performance oriented) vehicles with dedicated summer tires, and dedicated winter tires. I would otherwise have to "throw away" (as you say) my all-season if it came with those.