No cigarette lighter but a plug instead?

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
This may be an ignorant question. Could also be UK/US language barrier.
I originally planned to buy something like this for normal outlet needs (e.g. plugging in laptop)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KWP2H...olid=30NMYRYE8IO9Z&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But when I checked the order guide I couldnt see a mention of a cigarette lighter. I did, however, see "Powerpoints (12V)" 1 in front console and 1 in cargo area.
I thought, great! no need for adapter but when I searched 12V plug on amazon a load of cigarette lighter adapters came up.
Is 12V a term for the cylindrical cigarette lighter style port?
Bit confused.
Sponsored

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Bit confused.
Yes. Most people don't put cigarette lighters in there anymore but it's still common vernacluar, at least in the US. Ford isn't going to use it in their official statements, hence the 12v powerpoint. Unfortunately it seems that the Mach-E doesn't include a built-in 120v outlet.

I wonder if the USB-C port in the car supports power delivery? Probably doesn't but it would be neat if it did. May allow you to charge your laptop directly from USB-C to USB-C. Assuming your laptop had that.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I originally planned to buy something like this for normal outlet needs (e.g. plugging in laptop)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KWP2H...olid=30NMYRYE8IO9Z&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But when I checked the order guide I couldnt see a mention of a cigarette lighter. I did, however, see "Powerpoints (12V)" 1 in front console and 1 in cargo area.
I thought, great! no need for adapter but when I searched 12V plug on amazon a load of cigarette lighter adapters came up.
Bit confused.
i think they are same thing

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag

Bit confused.
Partial to Cigar lighter myself ?.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Yes. Most people don't put cigarette lighters in there anymore but it's still common vernacluar, at least in the US. Ford isn't going to use it in their official statements, hence the 12v powerpoint. Unfortunately it seems that the Mach-E doesn't include a built-in 120v outlet.

I wonder if the USB-C port in the car supports power delivery? Probably doesn't but it would be neat if it did. May allow you to charge your laptop directly from USB-C to USB-C. Assuming your laptop had that.
I've been unable to get power to a laptop through the USB-C port. I'm going to have to install a hardwired inverter. This is probably one of my biggest disappointments in the Mustang--it should have had several 120v outlets.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I've been unable to get power to a laptop through the USB-C port. I'm going to have to install a hardwired inverter. This is probably one of my biggest disappointments in the Mustang--it should have had several 120v outlets.
15 watt on that USB. Can't do much of anything higher than a ipad sadly. I toyed around with the 20watt cig lighter usb adapters and they go so hot I didn't trust leaving them plugged in. I agree we needed a 'small' wattage 120 in there somewhere. I'm not willing to run my own cables to my own inverter yet. (But to use Forscan I have to have an extension cord as my 16 year old Dell laptop is the only windows box I gots and it's battery died a decade ago)

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
15 watt on that USB. Can't do much of anything higher than a ipad sadly. I toyed around with the 20watt cig lighter usb adapters and they go so hot I didn't trust leaving them plugged in. I agree we needed a 'small' wattage 120 in there somewhere. I'm not willing to run my own cables to my own inverter yet. (But to use Forscan I have to have an extension cord as my 16 year old Dell laptop is the only windows box I gots and it's battery died a decade ago)
I have a failing MacBook with Windows installed just to run Forscan/FDRS.
I also often do work while charging at DCFCs while on road trips and that required my full Mac power adapter, which pulls 87 Watts. I don't think I feel comfortable using any of the ports that are built into the Mustang...Have to find the right place to install a switched outlet or port that can provide 100 Watts.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
You mean like the pretty useless cubby under the phone console? (If I can find an easy route to run a 12 aug cable through the 'firewall' ) That'll be the spot I pick, mounting this like 200watt dc/ac converter and it's on/off switch. Then ABS plate in the sides of that cubby. 1/8th inch 12x12 abs plates are cheap on Amazon.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
You mean like the pretty useless cubby under the phone console? (If I can find an easy route to run a 12 aug cable through the 'firewall' ) That'll be the spot I pick, mounting this like 200watt dc/ac converter and it's on/off switch. Then ABS plate in the sides of that cubby. 1/8th inch 12x12 abs plates are cheap on Amazon.
That's basically my plan. I haven't even begun digging into which open fuse slots are switched, where to run the cables, etc, but that seems like the best place to put the one in the front. I also want one in the back for when we bring our small AC/DC refrigerator picnicking.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
It does not. I haven't measured it, but the C port on the console is attached to the same circuit as the A port. It won't supply much wattage. 😕🐩
Sponsored