Alex_whietehad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
I see most of Teslas design decisions as cost cutting, all hidden under the guise of 'progress and innovation' I admire the company for such a well rounded implementation of EVs and the surrounding network however the cost cutting is getting too severe especially as the prices of the cars and FSD continue to rise.

As for Radar I agree... seems like its just a good thing to have on self driving cars. Even if 95% of the time the cameras can do the job that 5% could prove very important. Why limit the cars abilities to what us as humans can see/perceive? Might as well make them as well equipped as possible for all driving conditions.

Last edited:

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
Subaru eyesight relies solely on cameras and is one of the best driver aid systems out there.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Almost all companies working on high levels of autonomy/drive assist are using multiple layers of sensing. Basically everyone that is not Tesla. One camera layer and one layer for radar/lidar, because each layer is better at certain things. Plus it provides redundancy, once the camera gets covered by bug splatter (and the wipers just smear them on the window), or it's too dark for the regular cameras to see well, there is another redundant level of sensors.

Additionally, how resistant are cameras to optical illusion or getting blinded?

Reactions: ARK

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/25/tesla-ditching-radar-for-autopilot-in-model-3-model-y.html

Seems like a lot of downsides to this idea

In case of fog, heavy rain, snow
More distance needed between cars
Direct sunlight into cameras

I see it as cost saving, not an improvement, that's why it is started in the "budget" models.
I think it is cost savings. If it were truly the best solution why aren't they making the change on the S and X? They are being refreshed right now and it would be the perfect time to change.

It's like the driver's instrument cluster screen. The Tesla fans argued it was unnecessary and the way of the future. They said the S and X had it because it was an older design. Well, now the refreshed S and X are coming out and they still have the driver's screen. It is cost savings and only Tesla fans see it as something else.

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
I don't think they are claiming its sufficient for "full self driving."
No, you are correct. But maybe this means the FSD/Level 4 won't ever really ever come to the Model 3/Y. The article notes that the Model S and X will retain the radar. He's not known to be the most honest or ethical person out there...so I can see him trying to use this to bolster the bottom line but try and play it off.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Subaru eyesight relies solely on cameras and is one of the best driver aid systems out there.
Well, there aren't really any metrics on this that any of have access to, but anecdotally, from what I've read it doesn't seem that great.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I think it is cost savings. If it were truly the best solution why aren't they making the change on the S and X? They are being refreshed right now and it would be the perfect time to change.

It's like the driver's instrument cluster screen. The Tesla fans argued it was unnecessary and the way of the future. They said the S and X had it because it was an older design. Well, now the refreshed S and X are coming out and they still have the driver's screen. It is cost savings and only Tesla fans see it as something else.
And as even Tesla points out in this article... there will be an immediate degradation to existing functionality. I'd hate to be already paying $10k for incomplete FSD only to find out the capability is further crippled by this...

The company also cautioned that Autopilot and FSD systems would not be as useful or as strong during this period of technical adjustments.

“For a short period during this transition, cars with Tesla Vision may be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, including: Autosteer will be limited to a maximum speed of 75 mph and a longer minimum following distance. Smart Summon (if equipped) and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance may be disabled at delivery.”

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
I don't think it is a bad idea, but sucks that they are forcing people to beta test the new tech for them. And because of that they will remove some of the features they have now or limit others, like limiting the cruise control to 75mph.

Reactions: ARK

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Almost all companies working on high levels of autonomy/drive assist are using multiple layers of sensing. Basically everyone that is not Tesla. One camera layer and one layer for radar/lidar, because each layer is better at certain things. Plus it provides redundancy, once the camera gets covered by bug splatter (and the wipers just smear them on the window), or it's too dark for the regular cameras to see well, there is another redundant level of sensors.

I was watching a Quebec carshow not too long ago and they mentioned this, that all companies except Tesla were using Lidar sensing....

Like many other things Tesla is trying to cut costs down, but look at some of the incidents with Tesla "self driving" and there's a cost related with cost cutting measures!!!

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I don't think it is a bad idea, but sucks that they are forcing people to beta test the new tech for them. And because of that they will remove some of the features they have now or limit others, like limiting the cruise control to 75mph.
Tesla has been using this approach, almost (if not all) their innovations are beta tested by customers. Like their heatpump, ask the people in Canada who found themselves without heat last winter, because the system didn't work... oh wait, they didn't test the cold weather conditions in California?!

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Yup! another cost cutting measure. Also hear FSD is going to be raised to $14,000 and moved to monthly charge. You know if the fish are biting......

The thing that puzzles me is why TSLA still seems to be losing money causing all these desperate moves. Arn't they a $500 Billion stock company.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
That’s an interesting question, I wonder if cameras are susceptible to the same type of optical illusions as people are.

People after all can much of the time see past the illusion once they are told about it. Might computers always be able to see past them from the start?
Sponsored