No prompt to enter backup start passcode - Update: FIXED

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I think that pressing the Start button without the brake pedal reliably opens the Enter the start password when the fob and PaaK are not present.

I didn't try it enough to become scientifically proven, but it was a 100% success in a half dozen times when I did.
Sponsored

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
Same issue but I end up brute-forcing it.... Usually, 6-10 times works and it finally asks.

Every time I've had to use the backup code, it's been at least 6-10 times in quick succession with brake depressed and the button..

It eventually gets there. No response from my dealer about scheduling service or recalls, so I just... wait.

I'm driving a forgotten 1st series with all the fun PaaK bugs, so I basically have to always keep my fob with me.

Between this and the first app being delivered a sketchpad, this isn't the tech dream I thought it would be. No BlueCruise Q3 2021, and if you want to watch Netflix while charging, you need a ghetto Android box from China.

Sigh.

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I think that pressing the Start button without the brake pedal reliably opens the Enter the start password when the fob and PaaK are not present.

I didn't try it enough to become scientifically proven, but it was a 100% success in a half dozen times when I did.
Thanks for the tip. I tried this a couple dozen times, achieving a success rate of exactly 0.00%.

Science!

I can't get the passcode entry screen to appear at all today. Remarkable.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
The backup passcode is on the car level, not in PaaK or FP. But for some unknown reason the car has the potential to fail to trigger this at times. I was stranded one day because of this and because of the fact that yes, you do need the key to re-setup PaaK.
I wonder if this changed. I was able to setup PAAK on a new phone with no FOB from outside the vehicle. My post from 6 months ago explains in more detail. I'll have to try this again to see if this still works. I've had some Power-up updates since then.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Same issue but I end up brute-forcing it.... Usually, 6-10 times works and it finally asks.

Every time I've had to use the backup code, it's been at least 6-10 times in quick succession with brake depressed and the button..

It eventually gets there. No response from my dealer about scheduling service or recalls, so I just... wait.

I'm driving a forgotten 1st series with all the fun PaaK bugs, so I basically have to always keep my fob with me.

Between this and the first app being delivered a sketchpad, this isn't the tech dream I thought it would be. No BlueCruise Q3 2021, and if you want to watch Netflix while charging, you need a ghetto Android box from China.

Sigh.
I think it's mostly agreed upon that if you want the superior tech experience, you'll want a Tesla; however, if you want a superior driving car, you'll want the Mach-E.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
PaaK will never be a hundred percent reliable as long as Bluetooth is involved. I have to futz with my Bluetooth settings on my phone every once in a while to get my hearing aids to connect.

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
PaaK will never be a hundred percent reliable as long as Bluetooth is involved. I have to futz with my Bluetooth settings on my phone every once in a while to get my hearing aids to connect.
I would be fine with that, if the backup code were reliable.

But flaky PAAK with flaky backup is just not practical. It's a toy, for entertainment value only. Kinda like BlueCruise...

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I would be fine with that, if the backup code were reliable.

But flaky PAAK with flaky backup is just not practical. It's a toy, for entertainment value only. Kinda like BlueCruise...
I'm full PaaK myself. I haven't had the problem of the backup not working, so fingers crossed.

drironman

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Occupation
Veterinarian
Country flag
My passcode did not show up. I went to settings>vehicle and passcode and I noted it was not there. I tried to create one but got an error that no device could be found. I spoke with ford through chat and had to reset PAAK. That seemed to work. Just as a note … I had set up a passcode when I had previously had to reset PAAK. Not sure why it disappeared. I will definitely be checking routinely from now on.

I found out it didn’t work when driving to the store I opted to update my phone. Ha. Forgot that would take time. After got out of store the phone had not finished updating. It was then I realized the backup code was not working. Fortunately only took a few more minutes to upload and restart and I was on my way. Just so many ways that a backup code is necessary and working

Last edited:

RSH

First Name
RSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
Country flag
Ok so I normally don't like to post assumptions or theories because somehow they become gospel to the next person, but here goes.

I tend to think that somehow the car gets locked into thinking that a key is present, which wouldn't trigger the passcode screen. Because however a key isn't present the car won't start. I'm not entirely sure that this wouldn't happen with a physical key either. I say this because I've seen where the car will report that it's connected to BT when it's not and I'm far, far away from it. It's something I'm working on diagnosing, but replicating it is not easy.
Here is another example for you to consider as you mull over a diagnosis. I use PAAK exclusively. I'm okay with using my door code/backup passcode when needed. I took my car in for the windshield and roof recalls, and the dealer spent time with 21P22 and trying to get 1.7.1 unstuck. In the process of working through 1.7.1, they did a master reset of the car so all of my connectivity was gone. When I picked up the car (with 1.7.1 still stuck btw), I set everything back up, including the backup passcode. However, I can no longer get the backup screen to come up. I deleted and reset PAAK multiple times and deleted backup codes to try to force it, all to no avail. Under settings/vehicle in the car I had tried to put in a new backup code with PAAK and fob present, but received an error code saying the necessary devices (PAAK and fob) are not present. After a week of trying, I gave in and called Ford today. They tried everything I had tried, and now have this elevated. Waiting for a call back.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

redrambha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MachE Premium Extended RWD
Country flag
Here is another example for you to consider as you mull over a diagnosis. I use PAAK exclusively. I'm okay with using my door code/backup passcode when needed. I took my car in for the windshield and roof recalls, and the dealer spent time with 21P22 and trying to get 1.7.1 unstuck. In the process of working through 1.7.1, they did a master reset of the car so all of my connectivity was gone. When I picked up the car (with 1.7.1 still stuck btw), I set everything back up, including the backup passcode. However, I can no longer get the backup screen to come up. I deleted and reset PAAK multiple times and deleted backup codes to try to force it, all to no avail. Under settings/vehicle in the car I had tried to put in a new backup code with PAAK and fob present, but received an error code saying the necessary devices (PAAK and fob) are not present. After a week of trying, I gave in and called Ford today. They tried everything I had tried, and now have this elevated. Waiting for a call back.
I have the exact same situation, after the recall/software update Paak is flaky and more importantly no prompt for backup passcode.

TSLKLLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Performance
Country flag
My passcode did not show up. I went to settings>vehicle and passcode and I noted it was not there. I tried to create one but got an error that no device could be found. I spoke with ford through chat and had to reset PAAK. That seemed to work. Just as a note … I had set up a passcode when I had previously had to reset PAAK. Not sure why it disappeared. I will definitely be checking routinely from now on.

I found out it didn’t work when driving to the store I opted to update my phone. Ha. Forgot that would take time. After got out of store the phone had not finished updating. It was then I realized the backup code was not working. Fortunately only took a few more minutes to upload and restart and I was on my way. Just so many ways that a backup code is necessary and working
I had the same issue. I set a backup passcode when I initially setup PAAK, but later it disappeared. Not sure why it disappeared. I noticed when I went to drive and realized I didn't have my phone. I did not get a prompt to use backup passcode and could not start my car without using the backup keyfob which I keep in a Faraday case in my glove box (pro tip-- if you don't do this, I highly recommend it!)

Once I got my phone, I tried to add a passcode (I had my PAAK iPhone with me along with my main keyfob tied to my driver profile), but I keep getting an error. Still no success.

Glad to hear that a PAAK reset worked for you. Guess I'll be doing the same. Wish Ford would take a closer look at this...

TSLKLLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Performance
Country flag
I have the exact same situation, after the recall/software update Paak is flaky and more importantly no prompt for backup passcode.
Please post if you hear from Ford. Sounds like a recurring problem for several of us...

MrRongoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR Red/Blk Onyx
Country flag
Following, I was stranded once because of this
Sponsored