First Name
RSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
Country flag
Let us know when that happens....
I did get a call from Ford after the recent FordPass update. They wanted to know if the update allowed me to now access the backup code. It did not, and I still get an error message saying I don't have the necessary devices when I try to set a new backup code. It's been like this for over a month now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Bonus Feature:

When I repeatedly follow Ford's directions to get the passcode entry screen to appear (brake + start button), I am treated as an intruder! Horn and lights start flashing, and FordPass sends a message that the "security system has detected vehicle intrusion and triggered the alarm" This has happened to me several times now.

Lovely.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Bonus Feature:

When I repeatedly follow Ford's directions to get the passcode entry screen to appear (brake + start button), I am treated as an intruder! Horn and lights start flashing, and FordPass sends a message that the "security system has detected vehicle intrusion and triggered the alarm" This has happened to me several times now.

Lovely.
Hi there! Can you send us a PM with your VIN and Ford dealership information? I’d be happy to look into this Mach-E concern on my end.

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I think that pressing the Start button without the brake pedal reliably opens the Enter the start password when the fob and PaaK are not present.
I can also get the passcode prompt by pressing the brake alone, without pressing the start button.

Strange, but true! Sadly, not reliable either.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I can also get the passcode prompt by pressing the brake alone, without pressing the start button.
Interesting! I'll try it too.

It probably works every time when you don't really need it and doesn't when you do :rolleyes:

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Hi there! Can you send us a PM with your VIN and Ford dealership information? I’d be happy to look into this Mach-E concern on my end.
Ford and my dealer are looking into this for me now - thank you, Ford!

So far, they have confirmed that the passcode prompt does indeed fail intermittently. Dealer service technician also triggered the intruder alarm while testing it today.

No solution yet, but I will update the thread if they are able to fix it. Or if they aren't able to fix it.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
The two main reasons for PaaK failure or poor performance, in my testing, are throttling and location access.

On Pixel devices we have something called adaptive battery. It's a form of throttling to maintain battery health. Other phones and OS' have their own versions. Basically anything that restricts Bluetooth power or connectivity to save battery should be turned off and location access should always be granted to FP.
I have a Samsung Flip, and went to check the permissions for FP. For Location, the only option I have is to allow only while using the app (or ask every time/ don't allow, neither of which are really relevant options). IT doesn't even give me the option to allow all the time, which seems odd.

Seems you may be on to something with Paak failures, there.

Yesterday it took so long for the backup passcode prompt to appear the car actually set off its alarm. Really don't want to go back to carrying a key fob, so hope they sort it out.

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
UPDATE 10/22/22:
I recently got several software updates, including the 21P22 Field Service Action software calibration. One of these updates fixed the problem with the backup start passcode prompt failing to appear. The passcode now works for me every time.

I understand 21P22 is available for eligible vehicles only through next month. For me, it has been very helpful.

Wolverine

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've gotten all the software updates but as of February 2023 still having the problem of the backup passcode prompt not appearing -- sometimes. PAAK works and the backup passcode works at times. But of course the one time my wife needed it in a crisis, the prompt didn't show up.

In this thread, I've seen several solutions proposed: depress brake+start button; only brake; only start button. Is there a consensus solution? Ford please help. This is an embarrassment.

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
In this thread, I've seen several solutions proposed: depress brake+start button; only brake; only start button. Is there a consensus solution? Ford please help. This is an embarrassment.
Brake vs. start button vs. both - none of that matters. All three work (or not) equally.

The only solution I know of is the software update. Continues to work for me every time. Sorry it did not work for you. Perhaps your software updates are incomplete? Or perhaps they omitted the 21P22 Field Service Action - that may have been the one that fixed it for me.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
This happened to me this morning. First time i ever needed the passcode—no luck! Did everything described in this thread and the prompt never came.
Sponsored