No Rew/FF with SiriusXM?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Am I missing something or is there really no way to rewind and fast forward when listening to SiriusXM? There are skip buttons to skip to the beginning or end of a song, but that's not the same thing, and almost useless when listening to talk radio.

In my previous cars, I would pause Stern when making a phone call. Then when my call was done, I'd unpause and continue where I left off. In the MME, pause works fine, but after my call SXM is no longer paused and is back to Live. That's annoying, but at least I can rewind to get back to where I left off, right? Aparently not. This is pretty basic SXM functionality that's been around for years, but I don't see a way to do it in the MME.
Sponsored

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sirius is satellite radio with channels. Just like regular radio, you can't FF or REW.
Sure you can. The radio has a buffer, so you can rewind to go back and FF to any point up to Live. That's how TuneStart is able to start at the beginning of a song when you change the channels. I've been doing it in all my cars since around 2012.

Dnorwood98

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Gray AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Education/Healthcare
Country flag
Sure you can. The radio has a buffer, so you can rewind to go back and FF to any point up to Live. That's how TuneStart is able to start at the beginning of a song when you change the channels. I've been doing it in all my cars since around 2012.
I realized my response was in error, sorry about that.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Try holding down FF and holding down RWD.

If you tap them it should skip foward and back but holding them down should seek.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I just use the on demand for stern. It actually works pretty well. I hate the commercials anyways so I prefer listening to it later. Just don't make the mistake of using the steering wheel buttons to skip through segments. It'll change the radio station then you'll have to go find it again.

Not very helpful since I've never tried what you're asking, but just what I do.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Try holding down FF and holding down RWD.

If you tap them it should skip foward and back but holding them down should seek.
I tried that. Unfortunately, holding them down just does the same thing as tapping them.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After playing around with SXM some more, it's actually worse than I thought. For some odd reason, the buffer seems to be completely lost on talk stations if you change the channel. This is not the case for music stations. You still can't rewind, but on music stations you can at least skip back to go to the beginning of any previous songs that are in the buffer since the car was started. But that doesn't work for Howard 100 and Howard 101. I usually switch back and forth between those two stations to avoid commercials. If there are commercials on both stations at the same time, I just rewind or skip back on the one I wasn't listening to for fresh content. That doesn't work at all now.

I hope the SXM functionality in the MME is a work in progress and will get better over time. I know this is a non-issue for a lot of people, but for those of us that have been using this functionality daily for years, it's a real bummer.

bkboygenius

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue MME FE
Occupation
IT Security
Country flag
At least your SiriusXM WORKS. lol
Been getting the 'Hardware Problem' error since day one.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There's more to this SXM interface than I originally thought. After driving around more, I noticed that a new "Start Over" button appeared on the screen while I was listening to Stern. When I hit that button, it said "loading" for a bit and then started playing again, but I couldn't tell what part of the show it was playing. It didn't skip back to the beginning of the show, but it also wasn't any part of the show that had played recently. Still no FF or Rew, but this might be of some use since the buffer doesn't seem to survive a channel change on talk stations.

I switched to a Music station, and saw the same "Start Over" button appear. I hit the button and saw the same "loading" screen before it changed to a random song. I could skip forward or backwards to different songs, but it counted down the number of skips allowed from a max of 5. When I used the 5th skip, it said I had to wait an hour to skip again. This behavior seems like it's downloading the buffer from the Internet when you hit the "Start Over" button, so I guess this is part of 360L? And the skip limit seems to be something they've incorporated from the Pandora side. Not sure how much value this functionality adds, but I'd much rather just have a persistent buffer with FF/Rew functionality.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
There's more to this SXM interface than I originally thought. After driving around more, I noticed that a new "Start Over" button appeared on the screen while I was listening to Stern. When I hit that button, it said "loading" for a bit and then started playing again, but I couldn't tell what part of the show it was playing. It didn't skip back to the beginning of the show, but it also wasn't any part of the show that had played recently. Still no FF or Rew, but this might be of some use since the buffer doesn't seem to survive a channel change on talk stations.

I switched to a Music station, and saw the same "Start Over" button appear. I hit the button and saw the same "loading" screen before it changed to a random song. I could skip forward or backwards to different songs, but it counted down the number of skips allowed from a max of 5. When I used the 5th skip, it said I had to wait an hour to skip again. This behavior seems like it's downloading the buffer from the Internet when you hit the "Start Over" button, so I guess this is part of 360L? And the skip limit seems to be something they've incorporated from the Pandora side. Not sure how much value this functionality adds, but I'd much rather just have a persistent buffer with FF/Rew functionality.
Typically on talk stations on SXM if you go back or "start over" it will rewind back to when the track data last changed. Which is either when they manually change it when they move to a new topic, or when it goes back to the show after a commercial break.

All my previous cars, you had to actually change the mode to be able to RW/FF the audio. Depending on which mode you had it in, the < and > buttons would just switch between presets, but when you changed the mode, those buttons changed to seeking in the track.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Typically on talk stations on SXM if you go back or "start over" it will rewind back to when the track data last changed. Which is either when they manually change it when they move to a new topic, or when it goes back to the show after a commercial break.

All my previous cars, you had to actually change the mode to be able to RW/FF the audio. Depending on which mode you had it in, the < and > buttons would just switch between presets, but when you changed the mode, those buttons changed to seeking in the track.
Yeah, in all my other cars, that's exactly how it worked. But this is a different beast. If you have it on a talk station for a while without changing channels, you can skip back to the last chapter mark, which is usually a commercial. But as soon as you change the channel, that buffer is lost. So if you switch back to the talk station, and hit the skip-back button, it just skips back to the point where you switched back to that channel. The buffer does not seem to be lost on music stations when you change the channel, because you can skip back to previous songs in the buffer right after changing to that channel.

But the behavior with the "Start Over" button is different. First of all, that button is only there sometimes. Not sure what makes it appear. And when you hit that button, it seems to download or stream content from the Internet. The content it was playing was from before I even started the car, so it definitely wasn't in the buffer. The skip limit when in this mode further implies that it's some sort of Internet streaming a la Pandora. But it doesn't give enough information on the screen to really tell what it's doing. There's not even an option to go back to Live once you're in this "Start Over" mode, so you have to change the channel and change it back to get back to Live. It's all very odd.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yeah. I haven't figured out how any of the SXM stuff works in this car yet. Every time I turn it on, I turn it right back off because it sounds so bad. So far i've only seen the start over button as well. And it does work for music stations even if you change the station, which my previous cars didn't. They only buffered the current station.

The other thing I have found is that SOMETIMES, if I'm on wifi, It will actually use wifi to stream instead of the satellite feed. Its only worked while in my garage and the signal is blocked. It will eventually add a "Use internet" button and starts streaming.

I haven't figured out any of the new 360L features in sxm.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From what I can tell 360L is supposed to include all kinds of on-demand content, but it's not clear to me how to find it. It sure would be nice to have some instructions. This is the extent of what the owners manual has to say about 360L:

Where equipped, SiriusXM with 360L may
use the modem. To disable, turn off the
SiriusXM 360L or Vehicle Connectivity
setting.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Okay, I figured out where to find On Demand content. You have to hit the magnifying glass in the upper right, and then hit Browse and then select a genre (like Talk), and then a specific category (like Howard Stern). Then there's an On Demand tab next to Channels that will show you a list of programs. Pick one of those to get to a list of episodes. Pick an episode and it will start playing. This is actually pretty cool, but even while listening to this On Demand content, you can't FF or Rew. This omission is particularly weird with On Demand since there's a scrub bar showing where you are in the show and how much time you have left.

Ford Mustang Mach-E No Rew/FF with SiriusXM? 1618052435040

Ford Mustang Mach-E No Rew/FF with SiriusXM? 1618052518813

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know I'm pretty much just having a conversation with myself at this point, but figured I'll continue to post related nuggets here as I find them in case somebody is looking for similar info at some point in the future. As far as I can tell, none of this is documented anywhere.

I found an easier way to get to On-Demand. While listening to a regular SXM station, hit the button that says Related. That will pop up a screen with a Related Content tab and an Available Shows tab. Hit the Available Shows tab, and it will show you a list of On-Demand shows based on the channel you were listening to, and you can select a specific episode within each show.

Ford Mustang Mach-E No Rew/FF with SiriusXM? 1618084193248

Interestingly, when playing one of these On-Demand episodes, you can save it to a preset. I guess that's kinda cool, but it would be better if you could save a show to a preset instead of a specific episode. Once you've listened to that episode, you probably won't want it as a preset anymore. But it would be cool to have a preset for a show like Howard Stern Interviews to take me directly to the list of episodes to choose from.
Sponsored