Rudy Bega

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Nautilus, 21’ Rapid Red GTPE as of 2/14/22
Country flag
Read the potential new law on EV Tax Credits sponsored by Michigan Senators and it currently looks like the “SUV” category has a top end of $69,000. My 2021 GTPE comes in at $69,840 with Rapid Red, Pano, Camera and Protection Kit. BTW, Tesla Y comes in under 69. What now?
Sponsored

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Read the potential new law on EV Tax Credits sponsored by Michigan Senators and it currently looks like the “SUV” category has a top end of $69,000. My 2021 GTPE comes in at $69,840 with Rapid Red, Pano, Camera and Protection Kit. BTW, Tesla Y comes in under 69. What now?
I don't know the answer to your question, but a question of my own: Why do lawmakers feel they need to put a price limit on a car when it comes to a tax credit? I just don't get it. Isn't the incentive to get you to buy an EV rather than an ICE car? Who cares how much it costs.

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT PE, 20 Mustang GT 401A PP1, 21 F150
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
I don't know the answer to your question, but a question of my own: Why do lawmakers feel they need to put a price limit on a car when it comes to a tax credit? I just don't get it. Isn't the incentive to get you to buy an EV rather than an ICE car? Who cares how much it costs.
your first mistake was thinking A. Politicians care about the average person. B. Assuming Politicians have a brain

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Because they are Douchebags.

OP
OP
Rudy Bega

Rudy Bega

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree, categories and limits, WTF? these consultants for Congress over engineer. Plus there is a Union adder of 4,500. MME are built in a non-union plant in Mexico by a UAW Auto Maker Ford. Don’t know what I would cut (don’t want to) and a 2022 is 1000 higher for same config.
Ford Mustang Mach-E No Tax Credit for my loaded GTPE? 9C3B8A47-A324-4B83-96AE-E6D9AA888668

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Because they are Douchebags.
That's the easy explanation.

My theory is the more complex explanation is that some members of certain parties want to limit the caps to force the prices down to make the vehicles cheaper, with less features, less range, less power and overall less appealing as a status symbol and reduce their adoption. Big oil doesn't like the threat and lobbies hard.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
That's the easy explanation.

My theory is the more complex explanation is that some members of certain parties want to limit the caps to force the prices down to make the vehicles cheaper, with less features, less range, less power and overall less appealing as a status symbol and reduce their adoption. Big oil doesn't like the threat and lobbies hard.
I get your drift, the whole picture. But lets call a spade a spade. They over complicate everything.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I get your drift, the whole picture. But lets call a spade a spade. They over complicate everything.
Politicians overcomplicating things? No way! Just look at our easy to follow tax codes! /s

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
Agree, categories and limits, WTF? these consultants for Congress over engineer. Plus there is a Union adder of 4,500. MME are built in a non-union plant in Mexico by a UAW Auto Maker Ford. Don’t know what I would cut (don’t want to) and a 2022 is 1000 higher for same config.
Ford Mustang Mach-E No Tax Credit for my loaded GTPE? 9C3B8A47-A324-4B83-96AE-E6D9AA888668
Most if not all foreign car makers in the us are all down south and non-union I do not see the big deal. I worked at Subaru we were non union and are quality was amazing. They can actually hold people accountable. But how dare you hold someone accountable in today's era.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
It's really not about pushing EVs it's more about pushing EVs on lower income people - at least that is my guess. By lower income I really don't mean poor because EVs are all expensive even the least expensive of them. At this point EVs have caught on enough that if someone with enough money wants one they'll buy it - credit or not. I think the lawmakers realize this and are trying not to be a tax haven for the more well off to save money on their expensive cars just because they are electric. When the leaf was your only option....well, rich people didn't want one of those (usually)!

Me and my colleague are good examples. The credit is great, but I would have bought this car with or without it. My colleague bought an E-Tron...but would have bought a Tesla if there was no credit for the E-tron. He has a lot more money than me too and could buy a Taycan Turbo S if he wanted.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
You could drop the protection package and add that after purchase, but I don't think that would be enough

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Why do lawmakers feel they need to put a price limit on a car when it comes to a tax credit?
Because subsidizing rich people isn't necessary. There are enough giveaways to the wealthy, and it makes sense to only give the additional incentives to those who are not wealthy and thus actually need it. The only practical way to do that at point of sale is to base the cap on information that is known: the price of the car. Certainly it is unnecessary to subsidize $300,000 supercars, so the question is where do you draw that line? $70,000 seems like a reasonable threshold.

As mentioned: nothing has been changed yet

OP
OP
Rudy Bega

Rudy Bega

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because subsidizing rich people isn't necessary. There are enough giveaways to the wealthy, and it makes sense to only give the additional incentives to those who are not wealthy and thus actually need it. The only practical way to do that at point of sale is to base the cap on information that is known: the price of the car. Certainly it is unnecessary to subsidize $300,000 supercars, so the question is where do you draw that line? $70,000 seems like a reasonable threshold.

As mentioned: nothing has been changed yet
$70,000 would work for, want Magneride…
Sponsored