DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Here is a short video of a sound meter measuring the noise level in the MME at 72 MPH. This part of the video shows the noise level to be 66.X, but the longer portion shows the level more in the 67-68 dBA range.

Very impressive. Just for something to compare this to, though the Model Y doesn't necessarily set a high bar for noise, this video has the measured level in that vehicle more in the 75+ dB range when going 70 MPH. You can see at 6:00 the noise is being measured more at 79 dB. So it might be that the MME has 10X less noise. (Again for context the MY is apparently quieter than the M3). I wouldn't go overboard with the comparison because at the least you'd want to test both vehicles on the same road on the same day at about the same time using the same sound meter (mine is calibrated). But still ....

The MME is just very quiet. That was immediately apparent from my standard "voice test". That consisted of seeing how fast you can go and still have a conversation without raising your voice. In the Bolt I need to start projecting when it hits 68 MPH. I didn't need to do this when the MME was going 80 MPH. Big difference.
Sponsored

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Indeed, it's quiet. Super quiet. CREEPY quiet.

On my test drive, I accidentally got over 80 a couple times because the typical ICE sound cues are just completely gone. And this is coming from a rather quiet Audi A4 owner. I may turn on propulsion sounds just to give some more clues that I'm going fast!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

On my test drive, I accidentally got over 80 a couple times because the typical ICE sound cues are just completely gone. And this is coming from a rather quiet Audi A4 owner. I may turn on propulsion sounds just to give some more clues that I'm going fast!
Yep - I actually like the propulsion sounds for that reason. Even then you don't necessarily have enough of a realization of how fast you're going.

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag

This is legitimately something to think about. Last year I bought a Zero electric motorcycle that is quite powerful. On a road I often travel I was riding with moderate enthusiasm but slowed well down to a very safe speed as I approached the place that often has a speed trap. The officer was there and I waved as I went past. He wrote me up for 19 over the speed limit anyway. At that he said he was "being generous". Honestly I had no idea how fast I was going.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
This is legitimately something to think about. Last year I bought a Zero electric motorcycle that is quite powerful. On a road I often travel I was riding with moderate enthusiasm but slowed well down to a very safe speed as I approached the place that often has a speed trap. The officer was there and I waved as I went past. He wrote me up for 19 over the speed limit anyway. At that he said he was "being generous". Honestly I had no idea how fast I was going.
the officer knew how fast, though ??

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
dB scale is logarithmic, so a factor of 2 for every 10 dB. The Teslas are more than twice as loud as the Mach E! Very impressive for the MME.
It's actually a factor of 10 for every 10 dB!
So between 60 and 70 it's 1 million vs 10 million "units".

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
I’m noticing some wind noise (seems to be coming from driver side (roof?)). But overall incredibly quiet.

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Not an accurate comparison, majority noise are from tires, and tires noise are depending on the pavement. Wish there's test on same HWY for both. I believe Y is a bit noisier but not that huge difference.

OP
OP

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Not sure I'd rely on this article very heavily. For starters, contrary to what the article is claiming, I don't think there is any question that the MME gets at least as much range as the MY. The real question is probably how much more, not how much less. Odd because Car and Driver has written about how Teslas never manage to get close to their EPA range and has even has published an article explaining how Tesla games the system to come up with the inflated EPA range numbers.

The other puzzling mistake is claiming the Model Y costs less than the MME. It costs more once you take the tax credit into account. Should be obvious that you have to take the credits into account. Moreover, since Tesla advertised its MSRP after the tax credit when it still had them available, according to Tesla the MME costs $47,200.

AFAIK the 0-60 MPH times are the same. Maybe they used are referring to the Acceleration Boost which Tesla will sell you for $2K?

On the sound test, I don't have a ton of experience with the MY or the Kona, but having ridden in the MY I truly doubt the difference is 1 dB. Might not be 10 but it's way more than 1 dB. In this regard, Car and Driver found the Chevy Bolt to be 1 dB lounder than the Kia. I own a Bolt and I think they need to put the crack pipe down if they think the Bolt is only 2 dB louder than the MME. I'll measure it but I can tell you that is a ridiculous number.

There are reasons why the MME is winning a lot of awards and the MY isn't. Driving dynamics are probably a big part of that, but NVH likely also plays a role.

Seems like an article meant to be provocative rather than informative.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Not sure I'd rely on this article very heavily. For starters, contrary to what the article is claiming, I don't think there is any question that the MME gets at least as much range as the MY. The real question is probably how much more, not how much less. Odd because Car and Driver has written about how Teslas never manage to get close to their EPA range and has even has published an article explaining how Tesla games the system to come up with the inflated EPA range numbers.

The other puzzling mistake is claiming the Model Y costs less than the MME. It costs more once you take the tax credit into account. Should be obvious that you have to take the credits into account. Moreover, since Tesla advertised its MSRP after the tax credit when it still had them available, according to Tesla the MME costs $47,200.

AFAIK the 0-60 MPH times are the same. Maybe they used are referring to the Acceleration Boost which Tesla will sell you for $2K?

On the sound test, I don't have a ton of experience with the MY or the Kona, but having ridden in the MY I truly doubt the difference is 1 dB. Might not be 10 but it's way more than 1 dB. In this regard, Car and Driver found the Chevy Bolt to be 1 dB lounder than the Kia. I own a Bolt and I think they need to put the crack pipe down if they think the Bolt is only 2 dB louder than the MME. I'll measure it but I can tell you that is a ridiculous number.

There are reasons why the MME is winning a lot of awards and the MY isn't. Driving dynamics are probably a big part of that, but NVH likely also plays a role.

Seems like an article meant to be provocative rather than informative.
100% had similar thoughts as looked through that data. Well said!
Sponsored