Non-EA DC Fast Charging Companies in the U.S.?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I am hopeful that we will see more companies bringing DC Fast Charging to the masses. Obviously we know about Tesla and Electrify America, but are there other companies investing in DC Fast Charging (above 50 kw) across the U.S.? I would definitely love more concrete information on where EA is planning to build new charging locations over the next few years and EA has always been good about accepting requests that they then claim have been passed along to the teams that work on identifying new sites, but if there are other companies that I can/should be pestering to beg for some proper DCFCs in locations where they really would benefit me and others, please let me know what other companies might be out there. ?
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I am hopeful that we will see more companies bringing DC Fast Charging to the masses. Obviously we know about Tesla and Electrify America, but are there other companies investing in DC Fast Charging (above 50 kw) across the U.S.? I would definitely love more concrete information on where EA is planning to build new charging locations over the next few years and EA has always been good about accepting requests that they then claim have been passed along to the teams that work on identifying new sites, but if there are other companies that I can/should be pestering to beg for some proper DCFCs in locations where they really would benefit me and others, please let me know what other companies might be out there. ?
Oklahoma has a company that has put them in all over the state. They are called Francis Energy. They even recently posted that they have partnered with ford and was at the Lightning event in Austin TX recently.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Non-EA DC Fast Charging Companies in the U.S.? Screenshot_20211019-133319_Facebook

Just a quick view of the chargers in Oklahoma vs all the other states around us from plughshare.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Non-EA DC Fast Charging Companies in the U.S.? Screenshot_20211013-193843_PlugShare

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Great question. There aren't many other companies doing what EA is doing because building a DCFC network appears to be a bad investment.

Most manufacturers of EVSEs are interested in selling machines. Building a network isn't something they are interested in doing.

It is going to be a challenge because while everybody wants more DCFC stations....nobody wants to pay for it. At least not directly.

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oklahoma has a company that has put them in all over the state. They are called Francis Energy. They even recently posted that they have partnered with ford and was at the Lightning event in Austin TX recently.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Non-EA DC Fast Charging Companies in the U.S.? Screenshot_20211013-193843_PlugShare

Just a quick view of the chargers in Oklahoma vs all the other states around us from plughshare.
Wow! Oklahoma really does appear to have some solid coverage for DC Fast Charging! That is awesome! If only Wisconsin would get a similar level of coverage!

MarleysMME

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The DFW metroplex appears to be dominated by EVGo

https://www.evgo.com/.

Anyone have any experience with them? I only tried using them 1 time and could not charge. A guy in a Porsche had just finished charging and another guy in a Bolt successfully charged after I gave up. I called customer service and they said another MME couldn't charge at that location earlier in the day. Does EVGo not like us?

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
EvGO, ChargePoint, and Greenlots all have nationwide L3 charger plans (and a number of them out there already). Many States are doing it themselves now along major highways at rest stops, too. I think they’re getting there, and if we get the infrastructure bill passes, there will be a lot of Federal money up for chargers, so that’s going to help to too.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
EvGO, ChargePoint, and Greenlots all have nationwide L3 charger plans (and a number of them out there already). Many States are doing it themselves now along major highways at rest stops, too. I think they’re getting there, and if we get the infrastructure bill passes, there will be a lot of Federal money up for chargers, so that’s going to help to too.
Yep. The government is going to have to get involved most likely. Which of course is a double edged sword.

MarleysMME

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

I have used multiple Francis Energy chargers. They are very reliable and they're EVERYWHERE in OK. Can't wait for Francis Energy to move west!

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I don't know of anyone doing it quite to the scale of what EA is doing.

You can download the Plugshare app and hit the funnel icon to customize filters. I typically just take the "Minimum Kilowatts" slider up to at least 70 to 120 and let it show me what it found.

When I do this, I find that most of the country has pretty good coverage but there are some obvious holes. The entire states of West Virginia, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming have absolutely nothing ... not a single charger that can handle 70 kW/h or above. Most of Montana is also barren but there are some on the west side of the state. Also the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is barren.

If you drop it to 50kW/h rate ... then you will of course see more ... but some of those states that have nothing still have close to nothing. Michigan has just ONE 62.5kW/h charger located near Iron Mountain and that's it for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (there is a company called Red-E that advertises that they are installing many DC Fast Chargers in Michigan -- including the Upper Peninsula.) At the 50k rate quite a few stations finally show up in North Dakota but South Dakota is still pretty barren ... just ONE station shows up in Rapid City ... located SO FAR from the next DC Fast Charging station that it is doubtful you could go from there to anywhere without stopping for a Level 2 charge.

When you scan around looking at the stations that are affiliated with networks *other* than EA you'll quickly notice that nobody has anything even remotely close to what EA is doing with their network. You can find other networks that have little clumps of good coverage in some spots of the country ... but the rest of the country is blank. For example, EVgo has several decent speed DCFC's in several West Coast cities, several East Coast cities, Atlanta, and Denver ... and the rest of the country only has very little.

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I tried to send a note over to Francis Energy on their support site, but the reCAPTCHA was not working, so I pinged them over Facebook Messenger and got a quick and positive reply. I like these guys and sure hope to see them building out some locations in Wisconsin and other states in the Midwest in the not-too-distant future. Here is the response that I got from them...

Thank you for bringing the reCAPTCHA issue to our attention! We are actively pursuing sites in 24+ states and always looking for entities to partner with. I will share these suggestions with our development team and if you have any other locations or specific entities that would be interested, send that information by email to [email protected]. Congrats on the Mach-E!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
plugshare.com has filters for CCS DCFC stations and you can pick a minimum power level if you want.
Sponsored