Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, 2021 Ford MME FE
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Need some suggestions for a used SUV!!

It is time to replace our 2nd car. My wife will make the final decision since it will be her car. I'm just helping her narrow down the options. Replacing a 2006 A4 Quattro.

Search parameters: 30-40k, 2020 or newer, "premium" mid-size SUV, safety and reliability most important, AWD

And yes, I suggested another MME since it meets all these criteria (my FE has been very reliable fyi). I didn't get a response which I am interpreting as a No.

Currently looking at:
2020 Mercedes GLE 4Matic (only very high mileage cars in budget)

Audi q5 (wife likes it, I prefer something with lower cost of ownership)

Lexus RX

Curious about jeep grand cherokee

No Acura. No Volvo. No Tesla. No BMW. Yes Range Rover or Porsche but no $$. Likely no BEV. PHEV ok.

Thanks!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Switch vehicles and drive the gasser. Order a second MME and you will be fine by the time your new ride arrives.

Of course I knew we were going to end up with 2 when she insisted our first one be Red.

OP
OP
p_haze

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
:)
She has driven the MME a lot and likes it. Takes it whenever she can get her hands on it. Just isn't ready for a fully BEV household. Probably my fault as I took her on many road trips including to charging deserts (e.g., NH)....

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We’ve enjoyed our 2013 Toyota Highlander we bought 6 years ago. Has 140k miles on it and still going strong. Great utility vehicle with 5k towing capacity. If you need to go in the snow put on some winter tires and it will handle most anything.

mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
A family member just got a new CX-50 and it's a very nice car to sit in. And Mazda has a good reputation for reliability. I had a 6 (V6) a number of years ago and it never gave us any problems over a long period of ownership.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag

It is time to replace our 2nd car. My wife will make the final decision since it will be her car. I'm just helping her narrow down the options. Replacing a 2006 A4 Quattro.

Search parameters: 30-40k, 2020 or newer, "premium" mid-size SUV, safety and reliability most important, AWD

And yes, I suggested another MME since it meets all these criteria (my FE has been very reliable fyi). I didn't get a response which I am interpreting as a No.

Currently looking at:

Lexus RX

No Acura. No Volvo. No Tesla. No BMW. Yes Range Rover or Porsche but no $$. Likely no BEV. PHEV ok.

Thanks!!
I haven't looked at Porsche pricing in a while, but before COVID, I bought a 4 y/o Porsche Cayenne turbo (MSRP $145k) with 43k miles for $48k. The car was pristine, no accidents, all services done at Porsche.

So might be worthwhile to look at the Cayenne. Porsche driving dynamics are like no other.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

Currently looking at:

Lexus RX

Thanks!!
I wouldn’t put the Jeep on the list, too unreliable and won’t drive as nice.

A few more that fit the criteria:

Ford Explorer ST
Cadillac XT6
Infiniti QX55
GMC Acadia Denali
Genesis GV70

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
As someone who has owned 6x SQ5s in 10 years I will say that they are amazing vehicles. It's the only vehicle that I've gone back and got another, time after time.

I've never had a single service issue with any of them, except for a temp sensor one time (warranty). Admittedly, they were all purchased new.

My vote is inline with your wife.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I would drop the SUV requirement and get a Prius or Prius Prime. We've had really good luck with the Prius line in our family.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I would drop the SUV requirement and get a Prius or Prius Prime. We've had really good luck with the Prius line in our family.
She wants a AWD premium midsize SUV and you suggest a Prius?

That doesn’t have much in common with the Mercedes GLE they’re considering. 😂 It’s not premium, AWD, or a midsize SUV.

If I’m looking for a 2 seater rwd Performance convertible and like the Corvette, I have a feeling you’d suggest a Prius to me as well!

OP
OP
p_haze

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
We’ve enjoyed our 2013 Toyota Highlander we bought 6 years ago. Has 140k miles on it and still going strong. Great utility vehicle with 5k towing capacity. If you need to go in the snow put on some winter tires and it will handle most anything.
Thanks, but I don't think she will go for a Toyota. Looking for something a bit more premiun/luxury.

OP
OP
p_haze

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
A family member just got a new CX-50 and it's a very nice car to sit in. And Mazda has a good reputation for reliability. I had a 6 (V6) a number of years ago and it never gave us any problems over a long period of ownership.
Yeah, my sister keeps buying the cx series over and over again. Will try pitching that. But may not meet the "premium" criteria.

OP
OP
p_haze

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I haven't looked at Porsche pricing in a while, but before COVID, I bought a 4 y/o Porsche Cayenne turbo (MSRP $145k) with 43k miles for $48k. The car was pristine, no accidents, all services done at Porsche.

So might be worthwhile to look at the Cayenne. Porsche driving dynamics are like no other.
That's very encouraging! I know the user car market is still higher than pre-COVID but will try to find a deal. Would love to get a Cayenne!