p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, 2021 Ford MME FE
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I wouldn’t put the Jeep on the list, too unreliable and won’t drive as nice.

A few more that fit the criteria:

Ford Explorer ST
Cadillac XT6
Infiniti QX55
GMC Acadia Denali
Genesis GV70
Helpful to know about the Jeep. I have never driven one or been in one. But I see a lot in my town. Will add the Infiniti and Genesis to the list.
Sponsored

OP
OP
p_haze

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
As someone who has owned 6x SQ5s in 10 years I will say that they are amazing vehicles. It's the only vehicle that I've gone back and got another, time after time.

I've never had a single service issue with any of them, except for a temp sensor one time (warranty). Admittedly, they were all purchased new.

My vote is inline with your wife.
Ugh..ok. I will give it an honest shot. I just have an irrational dislike for Audi.

OP
OP
p_haze

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I would drop the SUV requirement and get a Prius or Prius Prime. We've had really good luck with the Prius line in our family.
I am assuming this is a joke? 🤨

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Need some suggestions for a used SUV!!

It is time to replace our 2nd car. My wife will make the final decision since it will be her car. I'm just helping her narrow down the options. Replacing a 2006 A4 Quattro.

Search parameters: 30-40k, 2020 or newer, "premium" mid-size SUV, safety and reliability most important, AWD

And yes, I suggested another MME since it meets all these criteria (my FE has been very reliable fyi). I didn't get a response which I am interpreting as a No.

Currently looking at:
2020 Mercedes GLE 4Matic (only very high mileage cars in budget)

Audi q5 (wife likes it, I prefer something with lower cost of ownership)

Lexus RX

Curious about jeep grand cherokee

No Acura. No Volvo. No Tesla. No BMW. Yes Range Rover or Porsche but no $$. Likely no BEV. PHEV ok.

Thanks!!
From your list I would look at the Lexus.

Friends don't let friends buy out-of-warranty European cars. There's a reason they depreciate so fast.

Jeeps are also maintenance nightmares.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
As someone who has owned 6x SQ5s in 10 years I will say that they are amazing vehicles. It's the only vehicle that I've gone back and got another, time after time.

I've never had a single service issue with any of them, except for a temp sensor one time (warranty). Admittedly, they were all purchased new.

My vote is inline with your wife.
Six in 10 years? Why so many?

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Toyota/Lexus usually get the highest marks on most reliability lists. I’ve never personally owned one but if thats paramount…… If she likes Audi and its been dependable, well, go with Audi.

Edit: Most Saturdays I’m driving and listen to this guy, https://www.carpro.com/ on am radio or Iheart. Go to his web page and go to car reviews. The cars you are looking at are probably in there. Seems like a straight shooter and has been on the air a long time.

Last edited:

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
The latest gen of Grand Cherokee generally gets pretty favorable reviews with most reviewers being surprised at just how lux it feels. Reliability is probably average to a little worse, but repair costs are going to be much lower than the Europeans. PHEV is available, but a tough find used.

Lexus has fantastic owner retention, and RX hybrids are available and easier to find used.

My wife currently drives the Acadia Denali that someone mentioned. It's fine. They haven't changed the body since 2017, and they seem to be everywhere here. No hybrid/PHEV options.

I'm not sure what it's like now, but a couple of years ago, Audi was running some pretty amazing lease deals. I normally don't even consider leases, but with Audi and Porsche and BMW, I'd give it a look. It seems like they design their cars now with expectation that most will be leased, so everything will be really solid for the first 3 years. After that....

Following, because I expect to be in the same boat in 6 months.

OP
OP
p_haze

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
From your list I would look at the Lexus.

Friends don't let friends buy out-of-warranty European cars. There's a reason they depreciate so fast.

Jeeps are also maintenance nightmares.
Thanks, friend!

OP
OP
p_haze

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Toyota/Lexus usually get the highest marks on most reliability lists. I’ve never personally owned one but if thats paramount…… If she likes Audi and its been dependable, well, go with Audi.

Edit: Most Saturdays I’m driving and listen to this guy, https://www.carpro.com/ on am radio or Iheart. Go to his web page and go to car reviews. The cars you are looking at are probably in there. Seems like a straight shooter and has been on the air a long time.
Thanks for the pointer, will check out th website.

Re: Audi, the A4 has been ok..lots of things breaking and expensive to fix. Within 80k miles..

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

While it’s true Lexus is usually at the top of dependability lists, I’m honestly not sure why people rank dependability so high on their reasons to buy a car.

Look closer at the data, the difference between the average number of repairs of the #1 most reliable brand and the “average” brand is minimal.

Like the difference between having 1 repair in 3 years per car or 1.2 repairs.

Not worth changing brands for that reason alone.

Now if the car you like the most happens to be the most reliable……. Bonus!

That said there is a significant difference with the cars at the bottom of the list.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
If buying a used luxury car/SUV, I would highly recommend an aftermarket warranty. I had fidelity in the past. At the time you could get for a few thousands for 100k miles and 5 years and it would cover everything except for wear and tear parts like wipers and tires.

It covered over $10k of repairs at a Porsche dealership for me. The dealership handled all the paperwork. No hassle.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Need some suggestions for a used SUV!!

[snip]

No Acura. No Volvo. No Tesla. No BMW. Yes Range Rover or Porsche but no $$. Likely no BEV. PHEV ok.
OP if the wife likes Land Rover, check out the Jaguar F-Pace. Land Rover and Jaguar are essentially the same company, and have been joined since I think the Ford days.

Same engines, interior materials, infotainment systems, key difference is the way they look.

I think Jags drive better, they don’t try to incorporate anywhere near the off-road capability as Land Rover.

They are not nearly as popular as Land Rovers so you can more easily find an F-Pace in your price range than say a Range Rover Velar.

They also get much better warranties than Land Rover because Jaguar knows it’s not as popular. It’s been 5 years, 60K miles for years now, and they include all scheduled service visits (but not wear and tear stuff like new tires).

Same issue with Land Rover though, can get pricey to maintain.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
have you looked at Maserati. Good looking SUV with great sounding engine.
Sponsored