Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Edition AWD Standard Range
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
Does anyone have any good non-windshield mounted dash cams they've seen or have installed?

I'm thinking the dash just behind the touchscreen would be a great place to put one that won't be seen.

Thanks!
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Does anyone have any good non-windshield mounted dash cams they've seen or have installed?

I'm thinking the dash just behind the touchscreen would be a great place to put one that won't be seen.

Thanks!
I got one like this for Christmas. It's decent enough. It has these rubber bands that hold it on the face of your rearview mirror, so the screen of the dashcam is now your rearview mirror too. The forward facing camera slides out to see around the rearview mirror (the photo below shows the camera in the retracted position).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Non-windshield mounted dash cam? 1618937816261

https://www.amazon.com/VanTop-H609-Waterproof-Parking-Recording/dp/B084WWXPBS/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=rearview+mirror+dash+cam&qid=1618937671&refinements=p_89:VanTop&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sr=1-5

OP
OP
KennyCaphill

KennyCaphill

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Edition AWD Standard Range
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
I got one like this for Christmas. It's decent enough. It has these rubber bands that hold it on the face of your rearview mirror, so the screen of the dashcam is now your rearview mirror too. The forward facing camera slides out to see around the rearview mirror (the photo below shows the camera in the retracted position).

https://www.amazon.com/VanTop-H609-Waterproof-Parking-Recording/dp/B084WWXPBS/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=rearview+mirror+dash+cam&qid=1618937671&refinements=p_89:VanTop&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sr=1-5
Hmmm. Do you have any pictures of your installation because I'm curious as to how that screen fits over the front of the rear view mirror.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag

How is the compatibility with the Mach E? Does it do parking monitor while car is off? How does it hook up?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmmm. Do you have any pictures of your installation because I'm curious as to how that screen fits over the front of the rear view mirror.
I have it kind of temporarily mounted to see if I want to keep it. I could tuck/route the cables better but it works for now. The cables run down the A pillar side and down the side of the dash then under the floor mat and up into the center console and plugged into the 12v outlet. It completely covers the stock rearview mirror. One cable for power the other one is for the rear facing camera.

7F07ADD7-616F-4175-ABC8-E8F361624EF0.jpeg

B429D4E1-78D7-4B4C-BEDF-3943D229F3DE.jpeg

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I have it kind of temporarily mounted to see if I want to keep it. I could tuck/route the cables better but it works for now. The cables run down the A pillar side and down the side of the dash then under the floor mat and up into the center console and plugged into the 12v outlet. It completely covers the stock rearview mirror. One cable for power the other one is for the rear facing camera.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Non-windshield mounted dash cam? B429D4E1-78D7-4B4C-BEDF-3943D229F3DE

Ford Mustang Mach-E Non-windshield mounted dash cam? B429D4E1-78D7-4B4C-BEDF-3943D229F3DE
Do you still have the same dashcam? Was it easy to install hardwired or did you have to connect to a cigarette lighter

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you still have the same dashcam? Was it easy to install hardwired or did you have to connect to a cigarette lighter
It’s not hardwired. It’s plugged into the lighter plug in the center console.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
It’s not hardwired. It’s plugged into the lighter plug in the center console.
I ended up getting this hardwired. Seems to work great so far.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
@hybrid2bev @fayt349 Does it rattle against the mirror?
Mine doesn't rattle but the if you turn the screen off and use it as a mirror, it bounces a lot and it's hard to view. I keep the screen on cause the camera looks better than the mirror anyways

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Mine doesn't rattle but the if you turn the screen off and use it as a mirror, it bounces a lot and it's hard to view. I keep the screen on cause the camera looks better than the mirror anyways
Have you tried putting some material in-between so that it's not shaking?
Also I guess it's a pointless question but are you worried about longevity for keeping the screen on constantly?

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Have you tried putting some material in-between so that it's not shaking?
Also I guess it's a pointless question but are you worried about longevity for keeping the screen on constantly?
Nah I'm not worried unless it's an OLED screen and cause burn in or something. If I'm really worried about the screen on I'd just lower the brightness.

I haven't put any material in between. It's weird it's not like rattling a lot at all, but the mirror view is. Odd.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
@hybrid2bev @fayt349 Where did you install rear view camera? Can you post any pictures of it?