"Normal" amount of EV & Charging related apps?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This seems to be getting ridiculous so I wanted to get thoughts from the experienced owners. Maybe I don't actually need all these, or this is just the way of life for non-Tesla owners?

1) Fordpass - of course need this, not just for charging. Hoping BlueOval makes some of the others unnecessary
2) ChargeHub - This one is the first one I installed when researching the feasibility of getting an EV so I could strategize charging locations. Maybe it is not needed anymore... Looks like an umbrella app to streamline payments for many types of chargers, but I have not loaded $$ on it yet since BlueOval should make it not needed. Still on the fence
3) Volta - This is specifically great for me because there is a 30 minute FREE Volta DCFC near (2.7 miles, shopping center I use all the time) my house, just requires the app to initiate.
4) Electrify America - Likely for road trips, don't see needing it for around town when my home rates are so low (9c/kWh overnight). Saw the other thread about how to use the 250kWh credits rather than charge Blue Oval account and it seemed to require the app.
5) ChargePoint - This is required to set up an account and sign up for our corporate discount to charge at my work.

Not installed because it feels like this is getting out of hand:
SemaConnect - the Kaiser chargers at my work condo location are SemaConnect but I believe I can use ChargeHub app on them, but I can't get this particular station to be "selectable" in Fordpass/BlueOval. The SemaConnect app has 1.5 stars review on the Play Store, yikes...
EvGO - again, very poorly reviewed app, and it seems like if ever needed they show up in Fordpass/BlueOval

So is this pretty typical? I can see Fordpass meeting all needs for some, and my situation requires me to add Volta and ChargePoint.
Sponsored

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Charging wise I currently have PlugShare, ChargePoint, ElectrifyAmerica, EVgo, ABRP, Shell Recharge, AmpUp, Volta, SemaConnect, Blink, and ChargeUP installed on my phone.

I have a physical RFID card from ChargePoint and Blink.

When I take a road tip I look and find any chargers I think I might end up needing on the trip and go ahead and download the app and get an account. I don't load any payment until I actually need to use the app. I usually have about $15 in ChargePoint just sitting there and at the moment $23.92 in ChargeUP. Not sure when if ever that money will get used as I did not have a great charging experience with that network. Checking there are only 3 DCFC stations in the US and one of them did not work for me.

I figure it is easier to go through the signup process from the comfort of my home office rather than in a parking lot.

All the apps are in a folder titled Car, together with FordPass, myChevrolet, MyHyundai, and DashCamLink, other Car apps needed for the Mach e or my other cars I own.

Nice and organized.

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have ABRP, Electrify America, PlugShare, ChargeHub, ChargePoint (I have the RFID card in my phone’s wallet app), and SemaConnect (yeah, Kaiser) on my phone. I don’t really use these much, since I am always near home, but I did use EA a lot during my trip to Washington. 😊🐩

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have ABRP, Electrify America, PlugShare, ChargeHub, ChargePoint (I have the RFID card in my phone’s wallet app), and SemaConnect (yeah, Kaiser) on my phone. I don’t really use these much, since I am always near home, but I did use EA a lot during my trip to Washington. 😊🐩
Wow! Ok so far it seems to be kind of normal then. Is the SemaConnect/Kaiser the one off Technology Dr in San Jose? I noticed your location so thought I'd check.

Adding Chargepoint card to my samsung pay sounds like a good idea. Did you get the physical card then add it manually, or was it the "Android Digital Membership Card"? (nvm if you have iphone)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Plugshare is a must. As is "A Better Route Planner".

All the others depend on which chargers you'll use more frequently than others.

Its not much different from having a handfull of gas credit cards in your wallet--just on your phone (This is why you can make folders in both iOS and Andriod ;) ).

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Plugshare is a must. As is "A Better Route Planner".

All the others depend on which chargers you'll use more frequently than others.

Its not much different from having a handfull of gas credit cards in your wallet--just on your phone (This is why you can make folders in both iOS and Andriod ;) ).
Was already a step ahead on the EV folder, even colored it green! It sounds like consensus that Plugshare and ABRP are must haves so adding those to my collection now

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Regular Use: FordPass, PlugShare, ABRP, EA, Shell Recharge,

Seldom Used: EV Connect, EVGO, ChargePoint, ChargeWay, ChargeHub

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Free hours do not require, or use, the EA app...

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Been an owner for 9 months and so far I have:

1. ZEFNet
  2. Electrify America
  3. Electrify Canada
  4. ChargePoint
  5. EVGO
  6. Shell Recharge
  7. PlugShare
  8. A Better Route Planner
  9. FordPass
  10. ChargeHub
... and most importantly because my HVBJB could fail at any moment and leave me stranded

11. State Farm (for roadside assistance)

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Here are mine, in order of utility/frequency of use:
1) Electrify America - go-to for road trips
2) PlugShare, a must for planning charge stops for operability
3) ChargePoint - most free chargers in towns are ChargePoint
4) EVGo - second choice for DCFC on east coast
5) FPL Evolution - a Florida thing
6) Electrify Canada - when you need to go North, eh
7) EVHotels - helps a little in looking for road trip stops
8)ABRP - tried it, didn’t like it but it’s still there
9) Shell Recharge - haven’t used it yet

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm not getting straight answers from Ford or Electrify America.

I've exhausted the included kWh with the purchase. I contacted Ford's Blue Oval Connected Services and they referred me to the general number, who transferred me to Electrify America. (I'm getting dizzy).

My question is, now that I have to pay using EA, do I received the same 25% discount I would get by signing up for EA directly and paying the $4.00 per month? EA said I have Pass Plus account, but the rep said she didn't know if that qualified for the discount and told me to call Ford. (now I'm getting nauseous)

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Wow! I strangely don't feel as weird anymore. I am 3 weeks in and have 5. Just keep adding them as I find new stations. So far EA chargers are my favorite.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm not getting straight answers from Ford or Electrify America.

I've exhausted the included kWh with the purchase. I contacted Ford's Blue Oval Connected Services and they referred me to the general number, who transferred me to Electrify America. (I'm getting dizzy).

My question is, now that I have to pay using EA, do I received the same 25% discount I would get by signing up for EA directly and paying the $4.00 per month? EA said I have Pass Plus account, but the rep said she didn't know if that qualified for the discount and told me to call Ford. (now I'm getting nauseous)
Blue Oval Charging Network does NOT currently provide access to EA's discount. That was rolled out, failed, yanked back, and is currently being tested again.

If you want to use EA Pass+, which is $4 per month (and you can immediately downgrade, which will take effect in 30 days), the ONLY way to use that is through the EA app. Open EA app, select charger, swipe, and then plug in. You do not need to disable Plug and Charge if you do it this way. If you want to plug in first, then you need to disable Plug and Charge.

When Ford rolls out their Blue Oval discount, you will get the same discount as EA Pass+. However, you'll pay Ford $50 a year, and be able to use Plug and Charge. EA is $4 x 12 = $48, you can't use Plug and Charge. BUT, if you only travel here and there, it may be much cheaper to use Pass+ only for the times you travel.

We took a trip in late May, signed up, downgraded immediately. So it expired in late June, and we're paying nothing now. Will activate again in August for another trip. In a year of ownership of Mach-Es (2021 and now 2022), I've paid for Pass+ like 4 times. $16 vs. $50.

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
Blue Oval Charging Network does NOT currently provide access to EA's discount. That was rolled out, failed, yanked back, and is currently being tested again.

If you want to use EA Pass+, which is $4 per month (and you can immediately downgrade, which will take effect in 30 days), the ONLY way to use that is through the EA app. Open EA app, select charger, swipe, and then plug in. You do not need to disable Plug and Charge if you do it this way. If you want to plug in first, then you need to disable Plug and Charge.

When Ford rolls out their Blue Oval discount, you will get the same discount as EA Pass+. However, you'll pay Ford $50 a year, and be able to use Plug and Charge. EA is $4 x 12 = $48, you can't use Plug and Charge. BUT, if you only travel here and there, it may be much cheaper to use Pass+ only for the times you travel.

We took a trip in late May, signed up, downgraded immediately. So it expired in late June, and we're paying nothing now. Will activate again in August for another trip. In a year of ownership of Mach-Es (2021 and now 2022), I've paid for Pass+ like 4 times. $16 vs. $50.
Thank you for the quick response and detailed explanation. Since I mostly charge at home, the $4 when traveling works better for me too.
Sponsored