Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Wish the title was more accurate, i.e. "Three North Carolina State Representatives" does not equal "North Carolina".

Still think the bill is dumb, and someone should introduce one requiring North Carolina state representatives to disclose in their ads how often they use public toilets in the State Legislative Building, and the cost to taxpayers of the toilet paper they've used there.
Maybe they wipe with the same hand that writes these bills. No toilet paper used.
Sponsored

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
There are or maybe were 2 "free" L2 chargers in NC very near my destination. They are in a shopping area and that provides each of those businesses with me and any other EV that is charging with a captive buyer for an hour.
Stupid for the elected officials trying to tell independent businesses that they can't provide free incentives to capture customers.

The language was rather nasty too.

And on the other side we are all hoping to get a $7500 tax incentive, and maybe from your state too and maybe something from your electric provider.

I think of this as priming the pump and trying to get us as beta testers for the entire EV experiment.

As excited as I am with getting my MME my brother said it well. You know it's obsolete already. There is newer technology out there now.

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Red Mach E- C/T Pkg, '23 Escape PHEV/Prem Pkg
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
There are or maybe were 2 "free" L2 chargers in NC very near my destination. They are in a shopping area and that provides each of those businesses with me and any other EV that is charging with a captive buyer for an hour.
Stupid for the elected officials trying to tell independent businesses that they can't provide free incentives to capture customers.

The language was rather nasty too.

And on the other side we are all hoping to get a $7500 tax incentive, and maybe from your state too and maybe something from your electric provider.

I think of this as priming the pump and trying to get us as beta testers for the entire EV experiment.

As excited as I am with getting my MME my brother said it well. You know it's obsolete already. There is newer technology out there now.
"Obsolete: 1. no longer produced or used; out of date." Guess it depends upon your definition. There is newer technology out there(there always is), but how readily available is it?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would say that if technology is being used in our cars, batteries or whatever, they are old news already. Takes a long time to develop something, test it and put into production and by that time new technology is being tested for the next cars, so maybe our cars tech and batteries are not obsolete but getting there quickly

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
I agree with you totally. That's why I'm still excited about waiting for my MME.
A little tongue in cheek humor. - I don't think even the MME is readily available.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
" I do think it is wrong for taxpayers to pay for electricity given to other taxpayers for "free". Especially because a lot of low income tax payers cannot afford to buy an EV. Do we think it is OK for them to pay the electricity cost of those who can afford to buy one? That is immoral, IMO. "

Completely agree. Average income of EV buyers, $100-150k a year.

If your going to give away "energy" it sure shouldn't be form used by people well enough off to pay for it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...EQFnoECBgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0d1a65tSSJxp5VYZOTWpWb

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
"Any person who is engaged in a business where electric vehicle charging stations are provided for use by the public at no charge shall ensure that each customer of the business, without regard to whether the customer uses the charging stations, is informed of, on the receipt for purchases, the percentage of the amount of the customerā€™s total purchase price that is a result of the business providing electric vehicle charging stations at no charge."

Stupid.

Just one more thing to keep the perpetually angry people angry. More division.

I want to see a breakdown on my reciept of how much that bowl of water for dogs at the entrance is costing me.

Stupid.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I have to agree with you, if NC will give me a free charge when I get my Mach E why shouldn't I also get free gasoline at taxpayer expense?
Because taxpayers subsidize things that don't benefit them directly all the time?

Why should my tax dollars go to pave roads that I will never drive on? Because other people's tax dollars go to pave roads that I DO drive on.

Unless you want to make it ILLEGAL to plug your Mach-e into one of the several 110v spots at public rest areas, this seems like REALLY small potatoes.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I agree in theory; however, the government does pick winners and losers all the time. This isnā€™t as much about redistribution of assets but about incentivizing adoption of new technology. This can lead to more jobs, better climate outcomes, promotes tourism, etc. Iā€™m all in if the federal and state governments take away all tax breaks and incentives for petroleum, too.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Government is always picking winners and losers, how about all the tax breaks given to companys not to move to another state.

read the tax code if you have the time and see all the benefits that are given to specific industries. federal or state tax holidays on gasoline . Plenty of instances Where someone is getting something that others do not.

everything in balance is ok. High income earners donā€™t need more benefits but giving free electricity to someone is no big deal.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Why should my tax dollars go to pave roads that I will never drive on? Because other people's tax dollars go to pave roads that I DO drive on.
In my opinion, you shouldn't. Logistically it is hard to charge people for every road they use, but it is possible.

Regardless, two wrongs don't make it right. Why add more things that people have to pay for others to use? It is wrong.

It isn't wrong for private businesses to offer incentives (free charging, free food, free beer, etc.) to get people to buy other things at their business, but it is wrong to force people to do that against their will. Which is what governments are doing when the give away "free" electricity to people who can easily afford to pay for it. And it is easy to require payment also, unlike adding tolls to all roads, which would be really hard.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Because taxpayers subsidize things that don't benefit them directly all the time?

Unless you want to make it ILLEGAL to plug your Mach-e into one of the several 110v spots at public rest areas, this seems like REALLY small potatoes.
Well, I disagree, you are comparing apples and oranges here. And who in heck is talking about plugging into a 110 outlet, the issue is charging stations, they take a little more energy to run, don't you THINK?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In my opinion, you shouldn't. Logistically it is hard to charge people for every road they use, but it is possible.

Regardless, two wrongs don't make it right. Why add more things that people have to pay for others to use? It is wrong.

It isn't wrong for private businesses to offer incentives (free charging, free food, free beer, etc.) to get people to buy other things at their business, but it is wrong to force people to do that against their will. Which is what governments are doing when the give away "free" electricity to people who can easily afford to pay for it. And it is easy to require payment also, unlike adding tolls to all roads, which would be really hard.
I am not sure how government is forcing people by giving away free electricity. I agree thereā€™s no reason to do it other than promote something and high income earners donā€™t really need more incentive any more than some people need tax cuts Or gas tax holidays that are of no benefit to EV owners. They all happen.

this conversation can go on forever and regarding the electricity ā€œgive awayā€ just meaningless In the scheme of things.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Well, I disagree, you are comparing apples and oranges here. And who in heck is talking about plugging into a 110 outlet, the issue is charging stations, they take a little more energy to run, don't you THINK?
I'm just saying that it's something that really isn't worth complaining about. ICE cars are different from our electric ponies, and direct comparisons are almost always inapt. (I.e., if you offer it for EV's, you must offer the same for gas ignores that EVs are different than gas.) But if offering an L1 station at a rest stop allows one to limp to the next town where there are better services available, that's a good thing to offer EV drivers and has negligible cost.

I'd be more swayed by governments offering free DC fast charging MAYBE, but I don't get the sense that that's on the menu in NC. But as someone pointed out above, a town in Michigan put some free chargers there and it attracted people to spend money in the town that may not have otherwise done so. That IS of course why businesses offer it, right? To convince drivers to spend their cash there instead of at the place that doesn't offer it?

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
The Ohio General also lacks vision of the future. No allowance for EV's of any kind and our tags cost $200 per year!
Sponsored