Litnerd88

First Name
Teresa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium with AWD and Extended Range
Country flag
So the problem with why some Mach Es won't charge with the supplied evse plugged into 240 in Illinois is apparently because of an over voltage condition. There is no current fix for this through Ford. Our power measured out at 246v and it will not charge with the supplied evse. Has anybody who encountered this issue been able to use a wall mounted charger (charge point or the Ford one) at their home using the same power source? I understand that dealerships with chargers and power stations may have their own transformers that would supply the correct voltage so they would not encounter this issue. The mme evse plugged into our 240 charged our friend's Prius plug in hybrid with no issue so I know it is a problem with the Mach E and not the evse. Any insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
So the problem with why some Mach Es won't charge with the supplied evse plugged into 240 in Illinois is apparently because of an over voltage condition. There is no current fix for this through Ford. Our power measured out at 246v and it will not charge with the supplied evse. Has anybody who encountered this issue been able to use a wall mounted charger (charge point or the Ford one) at their home using the same power source? I understand that dealerships with chargers and power stations may have their own transformers that would supply the correct voltage so they would not encounter this issue. The mme evse plugged into our 240 charged our friend's Prius plug in hybrid with no issue so I know it is a problem with the Mach E and not the evse. Any insight would be appreciated.
246V doesn't seem too bad IMO, and certainly wouldn't think it's uncommon.

EDIT: Just wanted to say I just looked at one of my UPS's and it's showing 124V coming into it. If there's 124V on both legs in my home, that's 248V... Haven't really checked the actual voltage on my 240 circuits though.

Can't help since I don't have any issues here in VA though, sorry.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
(just an outside observer, but following the discussions with interest) I do not think there is any conclusion as to what the root cause is yet. Have you had a chance to review the main thread on this topic? It is up to 50 pages, maybe just scan the last few pages.

Home Level 2 Charger Issues

OP
OP

Litnerd88

First Name
Teresa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium with AWD and Extended Range
Country flag
(just an outside observer, but following the discussions with interest) I do not think there is any conclusion yet as to what is the root cause. Have you had a chance to review the main thread on this topic? It is up to 50 pages now, maybe just scan the last few pages.

Home Level 2 Charger Issues
I was looking at it. I got the answer, not from there, but because someone at my work is having the same problem I am. It's just an Illinois problem, and it absolutely has to do with the car refusing to take power because of "Input Voltage Too High" according to the codes from my car specifically. There might be more to it than just being up to 246, but it definitely has to do with the power grid and the car not getting along. The other threads unfortunately go on without people finding actual answers and I didn't want to add this to a thread that's already up to 50 pages.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The other threads unfortunately go on without people finding actual answers and I didn't want to add this to a thread that's already up to 50 pages.
I would argue that it's better to add to a 50 page thread to keep the discussion in one place rather than have multiple threads discussing the same issue in parallel.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
... it absolutely has to do with the car refusing to take power because of "Input Voltage Too High" according to the codes from my car specifically. ...
It could be the case, where the 240V AC line to some homes in Illinois is simply too high in voltage. Or, the problem might be that the sine wave is distorted in shape, or has some voltage spikes. That is, there could just be something wrong with the way MME is measuring the 240V (probably MME software). Or, it could be some kind of false signaling, some kind of interference picked up and read or interpreted by MME as, 240V AC voltage too high.

This problem (240V too high) is certainly included in those 50 pages, but still unclear if it is the same problem for all. MME owners in about four or five other states feel like they have the same or a very similar problem. As @generaltso says, I think the preference is generally to consolidate similar discussions.
Sponsored

Last edited: