Not all charging station assholes drive ICE

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I’ve found the EA cables to be annoyingly short sometimes. In Gainesville I had to back car up out a tiny bit out of the stall area for the 150 stall, center in pic, to reach front, I did this so I didn’t end up using a 350kw stall. I know this isn’t extreme at all but I did have to change my behavior in how I parked just so it could reach and I also didn’t annoy owners of 350kw vehicles
95BBD1DB-FD16-41ED-985C-CB329B5A3DFD.jpeg
So they finally fixed the stations there? My stop there was a total bust! On top of that the food at Steak n Shake was awful and we got No charge!!

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium LR-RWD
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
Julie and I ran into this on our road trip in June...this woman tried every plug, including ours, with great frustration not being able to get them to work. She was on the phone with EA when I came out to re-plug in our car (thank god for plug-n-charge). Once she got it charging, she just left it like this.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Not all charging station assholes drive ICE Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 12.20.37 PM

Again, this was her ignorance, but it does point out that not every EV owner is hip to all aspects of EV ownership. For sure some (most?) of that is on her, but some of that is on infrastructure and charging companies. FYI, here is the same station four days later...all were working!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Not all charging station assholes drive ICE IMG_3752

• Wow
Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I had to do something like this at an EA charger last year so that I could get the cable to mate with the CHAdeMO port in the front of my Leaf. The cable was very short and stiff. I had to back out and turn the car at an angle to get it to lock into place.

Did you ask the driver why they were doing this or just assume they were an asshat, doing it to mess up other EV drivers?
No, I didn't, The tool in the front seat gave the finger to another couple that went to talk to him. I took that to mean he is special.

Thesmoothdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Star White Metallic Premium eRWD
Country flag
The Nero guys are ALWAYS the biggest assholes I've found...Every single time...

My last road trip I ran into 2 of them. The first is at a 4 stall EA site and all 4 are taken (I'm 1 of the people charging). Theres another car waiting. These people are sitting in their Nero at 95% still letting it charge at an abysmal 9kW too... I guess ignorance? People don't realize that last 5% takes forever and it's rude to wait for it?

The second one was at a 3 stall EA site and all 3 were occupied yet again (1 being me). Same situation as before car was at 95% and there's someone waiting to charge. Guy is in the car. The eTron next to me finishes charging and leaves and another etron pulls into that spot. Then as I'm about to leave the Nero hits 100%. The guy literally gets out of the car, unplugs it, and goes inside Target. Leaves the car in the space. Theres a chevy bolt there waiting to charge too. I could not believe it.
I'm not sure how I feel about someone charging to 100% yet. It's an abomination to have to wait for a charger, but who am I to say at what a person should drive away with in their battery? I just took a couple of long trips and did have to remove a charger from a 100% charged Ion5 in order to start my fill. It didn't feel right to do, but it also didn't feel right to just let it sit there idling when people (me) were waiting. Still, with the gaps in charging stations and range anxiety, people who don't have a level 2 charger at home might need to charge to 100% before traveling.

Cowboy Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Premium AWD ER order10.30.21 Delivered 7.29.22
Occupation
Hotel Rat
Country flag
The ass hat is sitting in his car doing this
Ford Mustang Mach-E Not all charging station assholes drive ICE IMG_3752
This one is not hard to figure out. The parking angle is very strategic to take advantage of a maximum shade opportunity. A lot of thought and planning at hand here. I think there is an app for that. I’m sure that is all there is to this. 🥸

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
So they finally fixed the stations there? My stop there was a total bust! On top of that the food at Steak n Shake was awful and we got No charge!!
Yeah they’ve been on top of it more it seems like, I had been watching it on plugshare before my trip and it’s a very busy station so I think they are giving it more maintenance finally.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know if it is just here or not. If I plug into a 150kw charger I usually get from 50 to 80 charge rate. If I plug into a 350kw charger I can usually get well over 120kw sometimes even 140.
Yeah it really depends on which brand of DCFC even in the same network. Also there was an issue for a little bit with EA cables overheating so you didn’t get full speed, but I think they’ve done an update for that.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've never seen a charger ICE'd in my 4 years owning an EV. It's always other EVs.

We have some of the biggest idiots driving EVs.

Last week I drove up to Walmart in Salinas, CA to charge and two women were fighting physically because one of them unplugged the other. The one who got unplugged was in an MME.

I attribute the congestion and rudeness in part to free charging. The two women fighting were not travelers, they were locals just there sucking up free kws.

Free charging and putting stalls up front, near store entrances, need to stop.
Yeah especially the free two years for the other vehicles is gonna end up hurting EA. Too many people using it as their sole source of charging.
I hang out on the ioniq 5 subreddit and there’s a lot of whining on there about Mach-Es taking 350 spots, I try my best to just use 150 but these guys get really mad about it. It’s really dumb stuff. We are all in this new thing together not worth a fight to save 10 minutes.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Yeah especially the free two years for the other vehicles is gonna end up hurting EA.
Exactly. More and more I'm seeing "full" on the EA app. For those of us that only DCFC when we are traveling this is becoming a disturbing trend. We need the charger to keep going, those with years of free power, using it instead of plugging in at home, are really creating an emerging issue.

Imagine a free gas station....

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly. More and more I'm seeing "full" on the EA app. For those of us that only DCFC when we are traveling this is becoming a disturbing trend. We need the charger to keep going, those with years of free power, using it instead of plugging in at home, are really creating an emerging issue.

Imagine a free gas station....
Also doesn’t help most EA are at Walmarts 😂

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Also doesn’t help most EA are at Walmarts 😂
I bet in a year this will be a major issue. Maybe they can slow speeds within 20 miles of home or somehow make it less attractive to locals. I bet 75% of EV owners don't even know that DCFC is less good for the battery.

If it continues to trend like this I might be going back to ICE for good. I travel and DCFC (rely on it) way too much to deal with full and out of order stations.

This is right now:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Not all charging station assholes drive ICE Screenshot_20220807-150912

Last edited:

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
No, I didn't, The tool in the front seat gave the finger to another couple that went to talk to him. I took that to mean he is special.
I'm still a little confused about the whole situation, was he doing this with people waiting and needing a charge? Did the couple need a charge and were unable to do this because of his parking or did they just go up to tell him he was an asswipe and he gave them the number 1 signal? 😂

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I'm still a little confused about the whole situation, was he doing this with people waiting and needing a charge? Did the couple need a charge and were unable to do this because of his parking or did they just go up to tell him he was an asswipe and he gave them the number 1 signal? 😂
People were waiting
Sponsored