Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium extended range RWD Mach E
Country flag
The ass hat is sitting in his car doing this
F01C9011-21CA-410F-868F-1015AC59521D.jpeg
Just saw the exact same thing today with a Mercedes EQS. He took up 2 out of 3 chargers and was sitting there on his phone in his car. Best of all he took the 2 chargers that consistently work at this spot. I slowly went past him and I know he was thinking I was checking out his car. But I really was just hating on him thinking how big of an asshole move this was.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Looks like he was trying to stay in the darkest of the shade.

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
The ass hat is sitting in his car doing this
F01C9011-21CA-410F-868F-1015AC59521D.jpeg
Dang, this location really needs a white parking line down the middle to really make it clear when someone is aware and don't care they are taking two spaces.

Thesmoothdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Star White Metallic Premium eRWD
Country flag
Also doesn’t help most EA are at Walmarts 😂
At least I know where they'll be and I can go get whatever it is one gets at Walmart while I charge. We do need little relaxation centers at each station though. A little cappuccino and a biscuit would make the wait more relaxing for everyone. Maybe some grass, chaise lounges, umbrellas for shade would make people less grouchy while waiting :).

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
At least I know where they'll be and I can go get whatever it is one gets at Walmart while I charge. We do need little relaxation centers at each station though. A little cappuccino and a biscuit would make the wait more relaxing for everyone. Maybe some grass, chaise lounges, umbrellas for shade would make people less grouchy while waiting :).
I had my first EA station at a Target a couple weeks ago and it was so much better. There's some truth to the crowds at Walmart, not trying to be mean, it just is what it is.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I had my first EA station at a Target a couple weeks ago and it was so much better. There's some truth to the crowds at Walmart, not trying to be mean, it just is what it is.
My favorite was from my trip from OC to DFW in Pecos Texas. Right there at the Sonic Burger. Pull into the stall, plug in the car so it can eat. Push the button to order food for me to eat. Best charging experience ever!

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
What will make this interesting is that Tesla is setup to charge a certain way - backed into a charger located on the drivers side rear.

When other EVs start using them, for instance the MME, we will actually occupy 2 stations because we will have to pull in with the nose forward and use the station on what would be the passenger side for a Tesla, essentially locking out 2 stations.

Additionally, Tesla's have a unspoken rule that you always attempt to leave a space between you and the next person charging. I guarantee you no other EV owner cares about this and will just take whatever stall they want.
Ran into this issue at a Mcmenamins in Washington last weekend. Brand new150KWchargers!
But...
  • The chargers are in the curb in front of the spaces
  • The lot is striped diagonally
  • The charge cables are "short"
Result, the only way to get a MME to reach is to park opposite the striping occupying two spaces. o_O

So glad to see new DCFC, but the cables need to be longer, and generally pull through works for the greatest number of cars.

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Ran into this issue at a Mcmenamins in Washington last weekend. Brand new150KWchargers!
But...
  • The chargers are in the curb in front of the spaces
  • The lot is striped diagonally
  • The charge cables are "short"
Result, the only way to get a MME to reach is to park opposite the striping occupying two spaces. o_O

So glad to see new DCFC, but the cables need to be longer, and generally pull through works for the greatest number of cars.
I think part of the reason that cables are short is the rash of thefts where scummy criminals are cutting them off the machine to sell the copper. Things have gone to shit with all the stealing. And, I'm not just talking about our people in Congress!

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
What will make this interesting is that Tesla is setup to charge a certain way - backed into a charger located on the drivers side rear.

When other EVs start using them, for instance the MME, we will actually occupy 2 stations because we will have to pull in with the nose forward and use the station on what would be the passenger side for a Tesla, essentially locking out 2 stations.

Additionally, Tesla's have a unspoken rule that you always attempt to leave a space between you and the next person charging. I guarantee you no other EV owner cares about this and will just take whatever stall they want.
I don't think that Musk is going to do a single thing to make it easy for non-Tesla's to charge. Rates will be eye wateringly high, cables short, and he will likely require reservations for non-Tesla cars. He will do enough to get the government cheese, though. Every one of his businesses lives on taxpayer funding. He knows what he is doing.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I think part of the reason that cables are short is the rash of thefts where scummy criminals are cutting them off the machine to sell the copper. Things have gone to shit with all the stealing. And, I'm not just talking about our people in Congress!
The emergence of pro-crime policies in the PNW might be a factor. Stealing copper is one of the crimes generally not be prosecuted in Portland. Relative inexperience with charge site design is another.

On the plus side, the chargers were located a significant distance from the front door.

On the double plus side, the chargers take a credit card just like a gas station... No stupid app to sign up for!

On the negative side, a Bolt was parked at the chargers, but not even plugged in. What is the term for "ICING" when the car doing it is an EV?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I don't think that Musk is going to do a single thing to make it easy for non-Tesla's to charge. Rates will be eye wateringly high, cables short, and he will likely require reservations for non-Tesla cars. He will do enough to get the government cheese, though. Every one of his businesses lives on taxpayer funding. He knows what he is doing.
I don't disagree one bit. I have never once said "I can't wait for Tesla to open up it's infrastructure". I think between the side eyes and general PITA that it'll be, it just wont be worth it. It might get better if he changes all his new production cars to CCS, but until then I agree that it'll be "just to comply".

What is the term for "ICING" when the car doing it is an EV?
A D*#$% bag

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
The only benefit is if you are running out of charge or the usual EA, etc chargers are all down or vandalized.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
An extension cord would have to be a monster to carry DCFC current. I'd be surprised if this existed.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
What a difference a year makes! Last summer I did a road trip and had ALL of the EA stations to myself! Looks like those days are over!
Sponsored