Not getting full range after 1k kilo, tire pressure?

Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Standard Range
Country flag
Hi everyone, I have been driving my standard battery AWD machE for nearly a month but I have noticed I'm only getting 240km with a full charge. I have 1100 km on the odometer now and most of the kms driven was on a highway daily commute at 90-110km/hr. The EPA should be around 340 km for this trim and from what I heard online most people are getting more than the EPA range. Just this morning I got a alert from the vehicle saying the rear right tire is under-inflated. All other tires are at 42 psi while that one is at 29.

Do you guys think my fall short on range could be caused by this tire? I called my dealer and will head there this afternoon for a check. Anything I need to pay extra attention to at the dealer? And if there's a tire replacement needed, should I be asking the dealer to pay for it?
Sponsored

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
well 1 flat tire can really hurt your range quite a bit. Also you can not trust the GOM. What is your Km/Wh?

Also as bad as it sounds one tire being that out of line with the other makes me think you have a nail in your tire.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Someone already tagged my post but…
Are you saying you only able to drive 240km? Or are you saying the range guesser shows 240km?
Because these are two entirely separate things. Right now my range guesser shows 102 miles at 50% SOC. So at 100% it would tell me I only have 204 miles of range. But yesterday I drove 107 and used 36% of my battery, meaning my real range would have been 297 miles. You can believe the GOM or calculate for yourself. But if you believe the GOM, I’ve got a bridge to sell you….cheap.

OP
OP

Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Someone already tagged my post but…
Are you saying you only able to drive 240km? Or are you saying the range guesser shows 240km?
Because these are two entirely separate things. Right now my range guesser shows 102 miles at 50% SOC. So at 100% it would tell me I only have 204 miles of range. But yesterday I drove 107 and used 36% of my battery, meaning my real range would have been 297 miles. You can believe the GOM or calculate for yourself. But if you believe the GOM, I’ve got a bridge to sell you….cheap.
I can only drive around 250 km max. The GOM actually shows me accurate result. However I'm confused because:
1. My consumption is at 24kwh/100km, by calculation with the standard battery at 68kwh, range should be 280 km.
2. On my daily commute I use 19% battery to drive 48km round trip. Range calculated base on this gives me 252 km.
3. Either way I'm not getting over 300 km range which seems far off for me. I know I live in Vancouver Canada and it is one of the colder places, but we are only at October and I do not use too much climate control. I'm going to charge to 100% and record a trip starting today and see how it goes.

Do you think my consumption is too high?

OP
OP

Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
well 1 flat tire can really hurt your range quite a bit. Also you can not trust the GOM. What is your Km/Wh?

Also as bad as it sounds one tire being that out of line with the other makes me think you have a nail in your tire.
I'm at 24kwh/100km. And yes I do have a nail in the tire. $360 BUCKS GONE.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Unless it's too close to the sidewall, a nail in the tire is a easy repair - should be patched on the inside.

Multiple threads on the accuracy / conservativeness of the GOM.

Your consumption is at 2.6 miles per kwh. That is low, but if you're driving 75mph and have the heat running, could be accurate.

We did several long trips and averaged closer to 3.0, no heat running, with A/C running.

JB20

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Country flag
I'm at 24kwh/100km. And yes I do have a nail in the tire. $360 BUCKS GONE.

If my math is correct you are near 2.6kwh per mile which comes out to a range of 280ish KM. Depending on driving conditions and environment this could be accurate.

OP
OP

Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unless it's too close to the sidewall, a nail in the tire is a easy repair - should be patched on the inside.

Multiple threads on the accuracy / conservativeness of the GOM.

Your consumption is at 2.6 miles per kwh. That is low, but if you're driving 75mph and have the heat running, could be accurate.

We did several long trips and averaged closer to 3.0, no heat running, with A/C running.
Unfortunately it was less than 1 inch from the side. So can't patch it smh... I'm driving at around 65 mph and do have the heat on. I'm fine with getting less range but just want to make sure if I should have an appointment at the dealer to check the battery or smth. Thanks for your reply!

OP
OP

Ryanh99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If my math is correct you are near 2.6kwh per mile which comes out to a range of 280ish KM. Depending on driving conditions and environment this could be accurate.
I'm driving at around 65 mph and do have the heat on. So maybe this is accurate. Just making sure I dont have any battery issue, thanks!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm driving at around 65 mph and do have the heat on. So maybe this is accurate. Just making sure I dont have any battery issue, thanks!
Next drive, if you can, precondition the car to be ready for your departure (assuming it's plugged in charging). Then, instead of using the heat, do your drive with the heated seats on and the heated steering wheel (if needed) to see if you get different results.

You could even do this for a limited part of the drive, say 50 miles, one day vs. the next, assuming comparable weather, if you prefer having the heat on for comfort.

WildfireOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition
Country flag
The thing that kills range in cold weather is the cold affecting the battery itself and then powering the resistive heater to warm up the humans in the cabin.

I'd put money down that the government-rated range is under ideal environmental conditions and with nothing running like the heater/ac. In real world winter/cold use, a 20% drop wouldn't be unexpected, then add another 5% for the flatish tire, and then there's your driving style... Throw it all together and I don't think it warrants a trip to check out your battery.
But if a thumbs-up from the dealership allows you to sleep more soundly or eases your mind, that's worth way more than what we all think!

karioka

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Route 1
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
A puncture is a road hazard event and mot tire warranties do not cover road hazard events.
Sponsored