Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Prem Mach-e -2016 Lex RX350 - 2004 Avalanche
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I picked up my Premium awd sr mache on March 17th. The dealer had charged it to 100% but was only showing 158 miles of range. I have charged it twice now and the most I get at 99% is 171 miles. I am new to all of this and am wondering if others are having the same problem. The range is supposed to be 210 miles. Will this change over time? The first home charge was with a Juice Box 32 240v charger and the second was using the included 110 volt charger. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Rob FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Select, 2017 FFE, 2013 Cmax, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Engineer (retired)
Country flag
The range indication in various EVs is often referred to (affectionately or not so affectionately) as the Guess-o-meter and in the MME is very pessimistic and unrealistic. The result is that the indication is so far from reality that its not really a useful feature. Some people think the indication will learn your driving behavior over time and become more accurate. Mine has yet to do this.

Be aware that heater usage can have a significant affect on the range that you get.

I also own a Ford Focus Electric that has a very useful range indication - its much more indicative of what I will achieve. I wish the MME GoM was implemented the same way.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I picked up my Premium awd sr mache on March 17th. The dealer had charged it to 100% but was only showing 158 miles of range. I have charged it twice now and the most I get at 99% is 171 miles. I am new to all of this and am wondering if others are having the same problem. The range is supposed to be 210 miles. Will this change over time? The first home charge was with a Juice Box 32 240v charger and the second was using the included 110 volt charger. Any advice would be appreciated.
The range meter is an estimate only and it is very pessimistic. Just keep a watch on your miles per kWh in the trips section. You should average 3.1 mi/kWh to reach the EPA estimated range for the car. But you also have to know that it can vary quite a bit depending on the conditions. I took a 380 mile trip yesterday. At the end of the day, I had average 3.5 mi/kWh. But there were segments of the trip where it dropped as low as 2.1 (going up a mountain) and then coming down the other side it would shoot up to 4.4.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
What @Mach-E VLOG says. It's just a very pessimistic range estimate. Think of it as the clock you set five or ten minutes fast. Here it's a range estimate that shorts you 30 miles or so. Better than the other way around.

You can clear driving history. That may help. When you first get the MME it's been on but not moving so the driving history will show very low efficiency. That is pretty standard.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Approximately 120 miles driven in two days since buying the car. Was initially charged to 100% by the dealer, and showed a WAG of 200 miles. With the heater running, it dropped about 2 miles for every 1 driven. Recharged by me to 100% and driven again today. WAG stayed at 200 after driving for about 20 miles with the heater off. Definitely going to give a person heartburn if you pay close attention to it. Be patient and just watch the battery gauge like you would a fuel gauge in an ICE-powered car instead. When you reach a low value, recharge. Much less stress that way. Besides, standard or extended, you still have a decent amount of range compared to earlier BEVs where every mile counted.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
There are many reasons for the EST Range......speed you drive, outside temps, heater/ac use etc.....I am retired so no everyday going to work.....I live where everything I could need is within 5-10 miles and usually at lower speeds ( had to go into NYC Thur to Columbia Medical, still only 10 miles).......I am charging with a 120 line (BTW charge distance is about 6 mile /hour, better than the 3 Ford said) until I get a 240 put in......have charged to 100% once and the EST Range was 268.....my car is a Select, SR, RWD.....today I drove around 10 miles before the EST Range dropped even 1 mile.....weather was 60's, low speed (under 40).......do what others have said, reset driver history, then the EST Range will be all on you, haha....oh, I had the car in for FOB programing and for the dealer to retrieve my security code (they never gave me). the tech must have had the ac on all the while he was working, you should have seen the EST Range decrease, I was somewhat pissed, haha....good luck

OP
OP
rnswa

rnswa

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Prem Mach-e -2016 Lex RX350 - 2004 Avalanche
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your input and advice. That makes me feel a bit better.

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Accord EXLN Hybrid
Occupation
Retired / Relaxing to the max.
Country flag
The range indication in various EVs is often referred to (affectionately or not so affectionately) as the Guess-o-meter and in the MME is very pessimistic and unrealistic. The result is that the indication is so far from reality that its not really a useful feature. Some people think the indication will learn your driving behavior over time and become more accurate. Mine has yet to do this.

Be aware that heater usage can have a significant affect on the range that you get.

I also own a Ford Focus Electric that has a very useful range indication - its much more indicative of what I will achieve. I wish the MME GoM was implemented the same way.
Maybe the GOM should show a line chart percentage on every component drawing down battery power. i.e. HVAC, head/tail lights, seat heating and ventilation and other power features being used. It can help a driver understand what items are draining the batteries beside the electric motor(s).

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Maybe the GOM should show a line chart percentage on every component drawing down battery power. i.e. HVAC, head/tail lights, seat heating and ventilation and other power features being used. It can help a driver understand what items are draining the batteries beside the electric motor(s).
It does have a chart. When on Trip scroll down and there it is.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The GOM is very conservative because they don't want you to think you have 200 miles of range and then complain if you drive 150 up into the mountains. You will get far more accurate estimates when you use the navigation. Next time you have a full charge at ~170 miles, pick a spot ~200 miles (road miles) away and see if the navigation adds a charging stop along the way. In over 4,000 miles of driving, mostly a long road-trip, the navigation range has been spot-on.
Sponsored