billc58

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT PE, 2019 F350 Platinum
Country flag
Rather than a blow by blow account of our round trip from Victoria, BC to Disneyland (about 4000 km) , I thought a few general observations and tips might be of interest.

• The trip was flawless from an operational point of view. We went up and down big hills with no HVBJB issues (touch wood).
  • Charging/range turned out to be great. The range was well within the time for bathroom breaks and meals. By the time we finished with those essentials, charging was done. We only ran into one set of chargers that were full and we just moved on to another close by.
  • Blue Cruise was great...almost of the time. The car wanders when starting it and after changing lanes. It takes courage to let it run up to the right line to get its bearings. Passing semis is nerve racking as the car tends to go too close to the right and you never know what swings those units are going to take. I took over during the semi passes. There are a lot of those so this is something that Ford should fix.
  • Super curvy roads are often not good with Blue Cruise. Interstates are fantastic.
  • To stop the alarm from going off on ferries, manual pet mode works. Leave the car on and lock the doors using the door pillar bottom two keys. The inside door lock doesn't work unless you leave a key in the car, the doors unlock after closing. If you don't have a pet, you can turn off the air conditioning to save power. After a 90 minute ferry ride, there was no reported drop in battery charge.
  • I couldn't figure out how to automatically stop charging at 80 or 90% for new stops. If we were too long on a break, the car kept charging to 100% which isn't recommended.
  • I am really worried about the laws mandating EVs. There will have to be way more stations put in. Many of our stops had 100 gas pumps (or more) going at all the different stations. ICE cars filled up in 5 minutes, while the Mach E took about 40 minutes using one of usually 4 stations. To get the same throughput, there would have to be about 800 charging stations going at each stop. And California is running out of electricity!
  • Electrify America was doing back end maintenance on our trip back. 2000 km for free! Thanks, Electrify America.
Sponsored

CRPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the tip about the ferries. We too have had trouble with the alarm going off.

When you left the car on and locked the doors using the door pillar numbers you did not leave the fob in the car right?

OP
OP
billc58

billc58

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s correct. The was no fob or paak on the car. The car warns when the door is closed that no key is detected. The only way that I found to lock the door is with the key pad on the door column.

CRPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks, we'll give it a try next time on the ferry. By "on" you mean full on ready to drive, not accessory correct?

OP
OP
billc58

billc58

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be honest I only tried fully on. It’s possible that accessory mode would work too.

Dustus

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag
Curious about leaving the car on. I've sat in my car before with it on and after 30 minutes it I get a notice that the car is going to shut itself off unless I press the OK button. Is that something you had to turn off?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Curious about leaving the car on. I've sat in my car before with it on and after 30 minutes it I get a notice that the car is going to shut itself off unless I press the OK button. Is that something you had to turn off?
There is a setting to override the 30 minutes.

OP
OP
billc58

billc58

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a setting to turn off the 30 minute auto shut down. From memory, it’s under the vehicle category.

CRPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To be honest I only tried fully on. It’s possible that accessory mode would work too.
Thank you. We'll give it a try.
Sponsored