Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The Kuga PHEV (same car) is recalled in Europe for battery fires while charging. Would not surprise me if all the batteries went to fixing already-sold Kugas and delayed the US launch.
The cause is the battery charging module, which is physically attached to the pack.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Slight change of plans, the Escape PHEV is not going to be a 2020 model.
  • We are moving full scale production of Escape PHEV to the 2021 MY. The first Escape PHEVs will be sold in the first half of 2021.
  • We are moving production to next year while we work with the battery cell supplier to supply batteries for the 2021 MY Escape PHEV
  • Quality is a top priority. Customers love the all-new Escape and Escape Hybrid, which earned top honors in the J.D. Power 2020 APEAL Study. We are targeting to launch the Escape PHEV next year with this same level of quality

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Slight change of plans, the Escape PHEV is not going to be a 2020 model.
  • We are moving full scale production of Escape PHEV to the 2021 MY. The first Escape PHEVs will be sold in the first half of 2021.
  • We are moving production to next year while we work with the battery cell supplier to supply batteries for the 2021 MY Escape PHEV
  • Quality is a top priority. Customers love the all-new Escape and Escape Hybrid, which earned top honors in the J.D. Power 2020 APEAL Study. We are targeting to launch the Escape PHEV next year with this same level of quality
Makes sense. The 2021 MY has already started by this point anyway.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Country flag
Any cars built after January 1, 2021 would have to be 2021 (or 2022) models anyway, so it's not like they have a choice.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Today oct 14, in the dutch press:

Ford has halted production and delivery of the Kuga PHEV, the brand communicates to customers in a video on Wednesday. An unknown problem with the batteries, which could start a fire, is the cause. Owners of a Kuga PHEV are advised not to charge the battery and only drive in 'EV-Auto' mode. In the Netherlands, this concerns about nine hundred cars.

In a German-language video from Ford Europe, marketing and sales director Hans Jörg Klein says that solving the problem is probably more a matter of months than weeks.

Ford Netherlands confirms to AutoWeek that the delivery of the Kuga PHEV has also stopped in the Netherlands. According to the spokesperson, the problems must first be identified and resolved. Ford does not yet know exactly what the problem with the batteries is. That is why the more than nine hundred Kuga PHEVs that are currently driving around in the Netherlands are not yet being recalled. The cars are allowed to continue driving, but Ford recommends that you do not charge the batteries and only drive in hybrid 'EV Auto' mode.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Today oct 14, in the dutch press:

Ford has halted production and delivery of the Kuga PHEV, the brand communicates to customers in a video on Wednesday. An unknown problem with the batteries, which could start a fire, is the cause. Owners of a Kuga PHEV are advised not to charge the battery and only drive in 'EV-Auto' mode. In the Netherlands, this concerns about nine hundred cars.
That sucks. The PHEV Kuga (Escape) looks like a great vehicle that could be a big seller. This will likely slow that down. And perhaps bleed over to other electrics.
Sponsored