Now that we have seen the official F-150 Lightning, what features dues it have that you wish the Mach-E had?

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I’ll go first…

#1 those power numbers.
I’m not sure how negatively those motors would impact range, but I’m not sure I care.

#2 Intelligent Backup
My home isn’t particularly prone to power outages, but I also have 3 freezers full of meat and produce in my garage. It’d be nice to not need to connect, then start the generator in a blackout.

#3 80a charging.
I know, we don’t need it, and it’s going to generate bigger utility bills and more heat in the battery, but… ’Murica

#4 That driver information screen.
Damn it all to hell, the screen on the Lightning gives a metric fuqton more useful information than ours does. They had better give us those screens via OTA by the time that truck is on the road.

finally
#5 the size of the “trunk”.
That truck looks like a tailgating masterpiece. All that frunk space, at such a perfect height, amazing.

let’s hear it ladies and gentlemen, what do you want to see make it’s way to the Mach-E from the Lightning?

#NoWrongAnswers
Sponsored

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I don't have my Mach E just yet but do we really want a super-crowded instrument cluster? The current one seems to give you the needed info and not much else, which is why we have the big screen, right?

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
A $500.00 generator, 15 gallons of gasoline and a few extension cords will be cheaper, waaaay cheaper, than setting up your house up to accept DC juice from a vehicle. So, that's not a real selling point, it's a marketing point. Nobody's buying this for blackout security.

My house is only 26 years old and I couldn't find another 80 amps in my box to dedicate to a vehicle. It'll be charged at 32 amps at night just like the MME. It'll be the rare installation that does this.

Most off the information on the screen will be touched once. Set and forget. Nice to have, maybe important in a job site vehicle though. We'll see.

I love the frunk. If Goodfellas is ever remade.....more room for Vinny and Paulie. The drain will come in handy for cleaning up.

Around here, if a sheet of plywood hangs out the back of their work truck, they under paid and should have gotten a 8' bed. The top ender will be the rich man's toy. I can see a $3,000 beater doing all the work while the ass-end of the new Lightning hangs out past the garage door trying to never get dirty.

Will this fit in most garages at 19.5' long? The MME is 15.5' long. Might have to move the charger hook-up, boys.

Tim_C

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
I admit to some frunk envy. Not so much the volume as treating the frunk as first-class storage:
  • Power raise and lower, with adjustable top-end height
  • 6 ways to access the frunk:
    • using the key fob,
    • pressing the button under the frunk lid,
    • pushing the button inside the cab,
    • tapping the 15.5-inch touchscreen,
    • using the keypad on the door, or
    • through the FordPass app on your smartphone.
  • Lack of silly divider
  • Proper tie-downs and cargo net
  • Power sockets
Lots of details and photos: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-ev-frunk-trunk-details/

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I don't have my Mach E just yet but do we really want a super-crowded instrument cluster? The current one seems to give you the needed info and not much else, which is why we have the big screen, right?
How about we give the Customer an option to decide if they want a feature rich cluster or a less cluttered display? I know there are several things on that screen I would like… for instance, the meter that shows whether you are discharging the battery or regenerating. I would use the hell out of that until I had a good feel for the braking threshold between regen and friction brakes kicking in. Right now, we only get told “You did ok that time Joe”, and that doesn’t tell me if I’m just doing ok or really well. I want to know.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
powered running boards. with lighting what the hell is that. How cool is that. I want one....

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
It’s a nice Truck but did not inspire me to jump up and cancel the Mach-E order! I think I will just keep my old Dodge Ram until the wheels fall off!

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
It’s a nice Truck but did not inspire me to jump up and cancel the Mach-E order! I think I will just keep my old Dodge Ram until the wheels fall off!
I feel you. My first Impression was that the Lightning is underwhelming. But after sleeping on it, there is some stuff to like about it.
such as, I’m looking forward to the mustang coupe getting those motors.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
How about we give the Customer an option to decide if they want a feature rich cluster or a less cluttered display? I know there are several things on that screen I would like… for instance, the meter that shows whether you are discharging the battery or regenerating. I would use the hell out of that until I had a good feel for the braking threshold between regen and friction brakes kicking in. Right now, we only get told “You did ok that time Joe”, and that doesn’t tell me if I’m just doing ok or really well. I want to know.
An option is definitely a good compromise, allow us to select how "busy" we want the screen to be.

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
The automatic switchover to powering the house during a black out is actually really nice. Where I am most power outages last 30-45 minutes and it's not worth it to get out the generator and flip the manual transfer switch, but if everything just automatically switched over to the vehicle for those short outages that would be really convenient for me.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It’s not any one feature per se, but I like how the Lightning has a Platinum trim. I’m not a fan of all that chrome that sometimes goes with Ford’s Platinum trims, but the Premium trim the Mach-E has, it has been mentioned, is basically what Ford would call a Titanium trim on its other cars.

Especially with the price cut Ford put in place last year, I wouldn’t have been opposed to an even nicer upgrade package, as happy as I am with my Mach-E now.
Sponsored