Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So it didn't work on Friday but it worked again on Saturday and Sunday. This is not making much sense unless there are power surges tripping the mobile home charger.
I got mine working again after lots of efforts. Not sure how long it will work. Dealer says Ford is working on it.

Carini

First Name
Goose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Country flag
All of the sudden my 240v charger is not working again in the chicagoland area. Anyone else having problems?

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
I charged on Thursday to 95% without incident in NW burbs in Lake County on my Grizzle-e Classic.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Do you folks with issues know how to check your line voltage? You can do with a voltmeter, or if you're lucky some of the utility meters will show the voltage as they cycle through numbers on the display.

Should be 228V or more. If it's less, should call someone out.

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME CR1 AWD
Country flag
Do you folks with issues know how to check your line voltage? You can do with a voltmeter, or if you're lucky some of the utility meters will show the voltage as they cycle through numbers on the display.

Yes, my PG&E smart meter displays the voltage as part of the scrolling data. Here is some additional info from PG&E about voltage tolerances: https://www.pge.com/includes/docs/p...ergystatus/powerquality/voltage_tolerance.pdf

The state of Illinois mandates max of 127 V for nominal 120 V split phase systems, so the nominal 240 V is a max of 254 V (aligns with the PG&E doc as well). https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/083/083004100D03000R.html

If you are receiving more than 254 V then complain to ComEd, and if they won't do anything you'll need to put in a complaint with the Illinois Commerce Commission. Someone with a similar issue here: https://www.electriciantalk.com/threads/comed-incoming-voltage-dispute.37500/

If the voltage is equal to or less than 254 V and it's still not working then it's a Ford problem.

Paddy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lincoln PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

So I have a 2021 Lincoln Corsair GT Plug-in hybrid and am having the same problem as you guys here in Palatine. I just had an electrician (Kapital Electric, Tesla, Juice Box certified installer) paid for by Lincoln Corporate check our 240VAC outlet, breakers and wiring. I have had a Lincoln/Webasto, Grizzl-e (two of them), emporia and Juice Box Level 2 charging stations at my home with the same results: NO CHARGING.

During the test, the electrician even installed a new Juice Box Level 2 charging station and the car did NOT charge. The voltage out of our outlet measured 254VAC which is within the State's +-5% tolerance but NOT within the range of operation for the Corsair HV charger. It saw 245VAC as an overvoltage and shutdown charging.

The electrician brought his boss out with a 2021 Tesla S and when hooked it up to the Juice Box, it worked perfectly. Per Don, Kapital Electric has seen a number of people with Mach-e, Escape PHEV, Lincoln Corsair and Aviator PHEVs have this issue. Ford/Lincoln has not done enough REAL WORLD testing of provided Residential service voltages around the US before releasing their cars. Tesla had the same issue in early models but all the new HV chargers in Tesla products have an expanded 240VAC input range that has cured this false overvoltage issue.

Our car sat at Wickstrom Lincoln for 21 days while their service department scratched their bottoms with no solution in sight. All they could say over and over is "it charges in the Service Department so you must have old wiring or something". Well, they knew so little about electricity that they did not know that he Commercial building they worked in was supplied with 208VAC and that did NOT cause the HV charger to measure a voltage overload.

As Exlon/Commonwealth Edison is providing 240VAC to our Residence that is in compliance with the State of Illinois, Kapital puts the blame squarely on Ford/Lincoln engineering. The REAL WORLD does not exist in a shielded test room inside their factory but at our homes.

Kapital said they could install a Buck Box to knock the voltage down to 208VAC BUT that would only solve the problem with our Corsair charging at our home not somewhere else. This is Ford/Lincoln's issue to solve, like Tesla did if they want to play in the EV world for real.

20211217_Breaker panel 246VAC to 14-50r outlet.jpg

20211217_Juice Box charger works with Tesla1.jpg

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I took delivery of my Premium ER RWD MME in March from Wickstrom as well. Had my 50A circuit installed by family friend on the morning of delivery. Since the car was charged, didn't even think to try my Grizzl-e charger till Sunday when I plugged in and got nothing. Swapped out adapter and charged on wall outlet successfully. When I reached out to Wickstrom for support, I had to lead them by the hand for troubleshooting and they didn't possess the expertise to be my advocate and escalate through channels. The shop didn't even have a 14-50 outlet to test the mobile charger. And they don't understand the differences between commercial and residential service delivery which explains why charging can work at the dealer but not our respective homes.

To make this long story shorter, I ended up getting a call from Detroit/EV Service Strategy who shared the details behind the culprit that impacted not only IL owners, but CO, PA and other locations as well. Received the patch in early April and have been charging since.

I still suspect there may continue to be service delivery issues with ComEd. And there's been reported instances where charging fails after receiving the 1.7.1 OTA update and the patch needed to be reinstalled.

When another patch was required in late August and Wickstrom said it would be 2 weeks out, I went to Arlington Heights the next day. After 30 years of repeat business in Barrington starting with the first model year of Explorer, it might be time to reconsider.

Reach out if you want to try another charger. I'm just north of you in Hawthorn Woods.

Paddy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lincoln PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I took delivery of my Premium ER RWD MME in March from Wickstrom as well. Had my 50A circuit installed by family friend on the morning of delivery. Since the car was charged, didn't even think to try my Grizzl-e charger till Sunday when I plugged in and got nothing. Swapped out adapter and charged on wall outlet successfully. When I reached out to Wickstrom for support, I had to lead them by the hand for troubleshooting and they didn't possess the expertise to be my advocate and escalate through channels. The shop didn't even have a 14-50 outlet to test the mobile charger. And they don't understand the differences between commercial and residential service delivery which explains why charging can work at the dealer but not our respective homes.

To make this long story shorter, I ended up getting a call from Detroit/EV Service Strategy who shared the details behind the culprit that impacted not only IL owners, but CO, PA and other locations as well. Received the patch in early April and have been charging since.

I still suspect there may continue to be service delivery issues with ComEd. And there's been reported instances where charging fails after receiving the 1.7.1 OTA update and the patch needed to be reinstalled.

When another patch was required in late August and Wickstrom said it would be 2 weeks out, I went to Arlington Heights the next day. After 30 years of repeat business in Barrington starting with the first model year of Explorer, it might be time to reconsider.

Reach out if you want to try another charger. I'm just north of you in Hawthorn Woods.
Wickstrom has treated the identical problem with my 2021 Lincoln Cosair GT PHEV like three blind mice. They are ill equipped to move into the EV era. They didn't have a 6-20p to plug-in the Lincoln/Webasto charging cable to test 240VAC operation when I first went back there. So Ford has a TSB 21-2123 talking about a fix for Mach-e but nothing for this issue for the Corsair/Aviator. FYI this is from the Aviator PHEV manual, as it uses similar modules to the Mach-e and Corsair.

"If the AC voltage input is within range the SOBDM (Secondary on board control module) enables the DCDC. The DCDC uses the voltage required to maintain the 12V system before the high voltage charges the high voltage battery. (I understand another Mach-e TSB covered issue).

The under-voltage is Level 1 =75VAC for 110VAC and 148V = level 2 (220V) or over-voltage greater than 143V = level 1 (110V) or 280V = level 2 (220V) AC.

Thus, if the Secondary on board control module has been programmed correctly and is not damaged in someway, at Level 2 charging any voltage the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) provides between 149VAC and 279VAC should allow the HV battery charger to charge the HV battery. At my home the Lincoln/Webasto Level 2 EVSE is providing 245VAC to my car, well within the limits, yet it will NOT charge. I have had to open a case with Lincoln over this.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Wickstrom has treated the identical problem with my 2021 Lincoln Cosair GT PHEV like three blind mice. They are ill equipped to move into the EV era. They didn't have a 6-20p to plug-in the Lincoln/Webasto charging cable to test 240VAC operation when I first went back there. So Ford has a TSB 21-2123 talking about a fix for Mach-e but nothing for this issue for the Corsair/Aviator. FYI this is from the Aviator PHEV manual, as it uses similar modules to the Mach-e and Corsair.

"If the AC voltage input is within range the SOBDM (Secondary on board control module) enables the DCDC. The DCDC uses the voltage required to maintain the 12V system before the high voltage charges the high voltage battery. (I understand another Mach-e TSB covered issue).

The under-voltage is Level 1 =75VAC for 110VAC and 148V = level 2 (220V) or over-voltage greater than 143V = level 1 (110V) or 280V = level 2 (220V) AC.

Thus, if the Secondary on board control module has been programmed correctly and is not damaged in someway, at Level 2 charging any voltage the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) provides between 149VAC and 279VAC should allow the HV battery charger to charge the HV battery. At my home the Lincoln/Webasto Level 2 EVSE is providing 245VAC to my car, well within the limits, yet it will NOT charge. I have had to open a case with Lincoln over this.
Thanks for sharing, yes they absolutely should test the full range of charging voltages to make sure it works on all EVs. Tesla has done this, and some of their vehicles can charge on 277V service with no problems. The service manual lists 280V as the maximum voltage for both the Mach-E and Corsair, so it should definitely charge on 254V without issue. IL law says voltage cannot go outside 226-254V (±6%) for more than two minutes, so you are right at the max.

I would opt for the buck converter for now if home charging was important, until a fix can be put out. Luckily you still have a gas engine to get you home if it won't charge.

TSB 21-2171 should have solved this issue in the Mach-E, but I don't see a relevant TSB for the Corsair unfortunately. Your dealer should contact the technical assistance center and report a vehicle concern regarding the charging voltage tolerance.

Last edited:

Paddy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lincoln PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Lincoln has finally escalated my situation and is sending me to Rohrman Lincoln in Schaumburg to see if they can solve my charging issue. Thanks very much for your info. Hope you had a great Xmas! Pat

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Lincoln has finally escalated my situation and is sending me to Rohrman Lincoln in Schaumburg to see if they can solve my charging issue. Thanks very much for your info. Hope you had a great Xmas! Pat
Covid resurgence put a damper on family gathering but was still a great Xmas.

Besides charging issue, have you had any software patches applied? We’ll be road tripping to suburban Phoenix late March and want to choose right dealership to maximize success of installation.
Sponsored