gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
I am looking to take delivery of a Premium Mach-E AWD Ext. Range that's currently en route to a NJ dealer. I was wondering if anyone here has any information on how the $500 EV Tax Credit (NY State) is applied to vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealer.

When an eligible EV is purchased from a NY State dealer, the $500 tax credit is applied directly at the point of sale.

I'm just not sure how to navigate this when taking delivery from an out-of-state dealer.

I've sent an e-mail to the NJ dealer with the same question, but for obvious reasons, I prefer an answer from someone other than a salesperson :)

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

OP
OP

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
Got some answers here. The New York State tax rebate of $500 (for which the Mach-E qualifies) can only be applied at the point-of-sale at a participating NY State dealership. That is, the dealership MUST be in NY State, and it must be specifically registered with the state for the tax incentive program.

So, unfortunately, another, rather dumb law. Why not allow this credit to be applied when the vehicle is registered? Why not apply it against sales tax?

The more I read about tax incentives for EV vehicles, the more I realize it's one giant, convoluted, bureaucratic mess.

// Rant over, thanks for reading.