Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Is the hood open because they are checking the engine to see what’s wrong?
Maybe that's where they keep the charger cord.

Either way, keeping a fleet of two dozen EVs afloat with two DC chargers isn't going to work. They really need Level 2 at every parking spot. If they were smart, they'd be working with Ford to deploy Ford Pro Charging so the fleet managers can keep track and be notified when cars aren't getting charged.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe that's where they keep the charger cord.

Either way, keeping a fleet of two dozen EVs afloat with two DC chargers isn't going to work. They really need Level 2 at every parking spot. If they were smart, they'd be working with Ford to deploy Ford Pro Charging so the fleet managers can keep track and be notified when cars aren't getting charged.
True

I think they bought over 150 of the MMEs

My dealership is the one that sold many of them to NYC but at the time I saw them at the lot they were regular GTs no police marking and various colors. Probably slated to non patrolman

Martin desbrulais

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD Extended range
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Similar thing, in London the other day and saw a Mach E fast response Ambulance painted or wrapped in green and yellow livery

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
I saw a report on TV that said that using Hybrids alone saved the NYPD about 750 gallons of gas per year per vehicle.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was also at the Javits car show and there were a few variations of MACE-E being shown by various departments such a sanitation, corrections, PD and I think DEP.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
don't know if they're going to do well in high speed chases with the 5 sec limit

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
don't know if they're going to do well in high speed chases with the 5 sec limit
More likely they scrape the battery or blow a tire since the suspension, ground clearance, and tires aren't up to jumping curbs like a real police vehicle. There's a reason police vehicles use high aspect ratio tires.

The other major issue with the Mach-E is the touch screen, it's in the way of all the radios and computers that are usually installed between the seats.

If Ford really wants to offer the Mach-E as a police vehicle, it will need 18" steel wheels, a raised ride height, non-IRR windshield, different seats, much smaller radio, and physical HVAC controls. The shifter knob should also moved or converted to pushbuttons on the dash so the center console area can be dedicated to equipment. It would also need enhanced rear crash structure for patrol use to protect against a 75 mph rear impact.

Kafka

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE Nite Pony Vapor Blue
Occupation
Techie
Country flag
I saw the OP news clip on Youtube a night or two, and came here to post it, found this thread already exists 😇

Yeah, I've been seeing a few MMEs with various NYC departments:
One with a NYPD precinct in Brooklyn.
One or more with the Parks Dept. in both Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.
One unmarked (City of New York plate on it only) in the Financial District.

Like others, my concern has been mainly... in a place where many people get to jump in a car and use it, specially during emergencies, then walk away, how will they enforce some sort of responsibility for people plugging vehicles in to charge, specially after they are done with their shifts and are pulling a Fred Flinstone?
I also had heard that about City fleet vehicles in general, some vehicles are pretty much driven non-stop: a shift ends and someone new gets into the car and keeps driving it. At what point will they set aside downtime to charge it? Also, as much as a lot of the driving that they do is short stop and go trips, I imagine that batteries in fleet vehicles will go through a ton more frequent charging events and charge cycles than say my weekend driving MME.
It sounds like they might need to end up designating someone per precinct to go around and managing what vehicles are charging and which are assigned as OK to use for the rest of the day.

And here's another bonus MME sighting that I noticed last night while watching an Apple TV trailer.
MMEs from the Future! (at minute 1:08 of the video. It fades away quickly.)

Last edited:

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Why does everyone want to take my precious Mach-E and turn it into a taxi or police car? Please don't.
Blame Apple. Somehow the 2023 MME is still the police car in 2047
Ford Mustang Mach-E NYPD Mach-E police cars being tested IMG_4454

Haha I was having a heck of a time grabbing a screen cap of the show. These are Israeli police cars. Also Indian police cars. But havn't seen them in America (yet, I also am only 5 episodes in)

bdaughtry

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E Select, 2016 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I spoke with a NYC Highway officer at the NY Auto Show. He said they won’t be used by the Highway division. They’re married to ICE pursuit vehicles for now.
Sponsored