Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nice article. I completely agree with many of the points and saw some key ones:

His point is that designers should focus on things like aerodynamic drag and weight to avoid the need for big, expensive batteries in the first place. “There is kind of a myopia,” Mr. Rawlinson said. “Everyone is talking about batteries. It’s the whole system.”

That's a place where battery density, which they also talk about, will make a difference.
I imagined that is why ford started with the mustang's basic shapes in the first place. I am sure the mustang has evolved over the years based in some part on aerodynamics testing. It will be a combination of weight and power I think, once 600 km real world range hits this guessing will be answered. Batteries ten year from now may produce our 88 kwh at half the size and even less weight and as he notes has not only to do with drag but also with gravity and rolling fictions F=uN
Sponsored

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Agree, articles that mention aerodynamics all get somewhat of an eye roll from me as they all seem to forget that most manufactures have made low drag test vehicles eons ago so its is not some huge unknown.
Yup, prime example would be the Tatra 77 & 77a built from 1933-1938 had a Cd of 0.212!