Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Mustang GT, 1996 Cobra, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Optical Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone noticed that the Occupancy Mode is missing in the Audio Sound menu?

This Mode has been present in all Ford vehicles dating back to the early 90's, but for some strange reason it is not listed under Sound settings although the 400+ page User's Manual states that it should be there.

See link: https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...d=7430&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

I've asked the dealer to look into this; they contacted the local field rep who also didn't know where it went. At first, the dealer didn't even know what I was talking about, so I brought him out to my 2003 Focus to "show" him the effect. For other's who are in the dark here, Occupancy Mode changes the relative phase of the speakers to position the constructive interference of the sound waves at different locations inside the vehicle (e.g. center, back seat, or driver). It is not the Fade settings, which only change the relative volume of the speakers. If you are normally alone when driving your vehicle, the Occupancy Mode should always be set to Driver. Just play Pneuma by Tool and you'll quickly understand what I'm talking about. Why would Ford leave this functionality out? Probably because they rushed the release of this vehicle before it was ready for prime time (my own opinion here). I would gladly give up the fake Surround Sound mode for the Occupancy Mode any day. Don't you agree?
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

This Mode has been present in all Ford vehicles dating back to the early 90's, but for some strange reason it is not listed under Sound settings although the 400+ page User's Manual states that it should be there.

I would gladly give up the fake Surround Sound mode for the Occupancy Mode any day. Don't you agree?
My 2013 Fusion has Surround but not Occupancy although I know what you mean from some rented Fords.

So I honestly wouldn't miss it since it's not an option I have now (despite your "early 90s" statement... for that matter my 1995 Mustang GT didn't have it either).

the Surround Sound in the Fusion on the other hand sounds pretty amazing to me, better than what I'm used to with the Driver mode in the Mustangs I've rented... especially with high-quality sound sources (eg not Sirius ?).

But this is what I'm used to and what I expect.

That said since it's obviously in the manual, it's completely reasonable to expect it to be there in this vehicle.

OP
OP

Oh Wilbur

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Optical Engineer
Country flag
My 2013 Fusion has Surround but not Occupancy although I know what you mean from some rented Fords.

So I honestly wouldn't miss it since it's not an option I have now (despite your "early 90s" statement... for that matter my 1995 Mustang GT didn't have it either).

the Surround Sound in the Fusion on the other hand sounds pretty amazing to me, better than what I'm used to with the Driver mode in the Mustangs I've rented... especially with high-quality sound sources (eg not Sirius ?).

But this is what I'm used to and what I expect.

That said since it's obviously in the manual, it's completely reasonable to expect it to be there in this vehicle.
I should have said, "all Ford vehicles with Premium Sound Systems ..."

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
hmm it's not in the PDF manuals so I wonder if it's a missing thing or a web manual thing.

OP
OP

Oh Wilbur

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Optical Engineer
Country flag
hmm it's not in the PDF manuals so I wonder if it's a missing thing or a web manual thing.
Just go look at the car's User Manual on the touch screen. It lists Occupancy Mode under Sound Settings, but it's not really there. Our Southern CA field rep is looking into it. Perhaps on a subsequent software release?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Just go look at the car's User Manual on the touch screen. It lists Occupancy Mode under Sound Settings, but it's not really there. Our Southern CA field rep is looking into it. Perhaps on a subsequent software release?
yeah either to put the feature in or take it out of the web manual (which is what the in-car manual is, HTML5 pages)... since it's not in the PDF it feels like the latter is more likely than the former.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

See link: https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...d=7430&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

I've asked the dealer to look into this; they contacted the local field rep who also didn't know where it went. At first, the dealer didn't even know what I was talking about, so I brought him out to my 2003 Focus to "show" him the effect. For other's who are in the dark here, Occupancy Mode changes the relative phase of the speakers to position the constructive interference of the sound waves at different locations inside the vehicle (e.g. center, back seat, or driver). It is not the Fade settings, which only change the relative volume of the speakers. If you are normally alone when driving your vehicle, the Occupancy Mode should always be set to Driver. Just play Pneuma by Tool and you'll quickly understand what I'm talking about. Why would Ford leave this functionality out? Probably because they rushed the release of this vehicle before it was ready for prime time (my own opinion here). I would gladly give up the fake Surround Sound mode for the Occupancy Mode any day. Don't you agree?
You mean like this?
Just move the dot to where you want it.

20210303_200017.jpg

OP
OP

Oh Wilbur

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Optical Engineer
Country flag
You mean like this?
Just move the dot to where you want it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Occupancy Mode Missing 20210303_200017
Like I said earlier, it is not the Balance and Fade controls, which only change the relative volume of the speakers. The Occupancy Mode changes the relative phase of the speakers. Find a car that has it and experience the difference for yourself: the sound appears to originate from inside your head. Try it, you'll never go back.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Like I said earlier, it is not the Balance and Fade controls, which only change the relative volume of the speakers. The Occupancy Mode changes the relative phase of the speakers. Find a car that has it and experience the difference for yourself: the sound appears to originate from inside your head. Try it, you'll never go back.
It was the first thing I looked for on the way home from the dealer in mine when I was disappointed by the sound system, and was even more disappointed to find it wasn't there, unlike my Mustang's Shaker Pro system offered. :( Definitely notice its absence here.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Oh okay. I have no clue what you are talking about.
I probably havent owned as many Ford vehicles as you. I just have the 2021 Mach-E, a 2017 Focus Electric, a 2015 C-Max Energi, a 2012 Fiesta, 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer, 3 Super Duty PowerStroke 7.3 trucks. None of them are fancy enough to phase the speakers as far as I know. ????

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Oh okay. I have no clue what you are talking about.
I probably havent owned as many Ford vehicles as you. I just have the 2021 Mach-E, a 2017 Focus Electric, a 2015 C-Max Energi, a 2012 Fiesta, 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer, 3 Super Duty PowerStroke 7.3 trucks. None of them are fancy enough to phase the speakers as far as I know. ????
The Focus Electric and the C-Max Energi both had it if my memory is correct.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Occupancy Mode Missing 1614828471990

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The Focus Electric and the C-Max Energi both had it if my memory is correct.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Occupancy Mode Missing 1614828471990
You are right. Just went out and checked. Occupancy mode just switches between Driver or All. Toggling that control between the settings sounds about the same as toggling between Stereo and Surround in the Mach-E ( at least to my ears anyway... )

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have had several Ford vehicles with the upgraded sound system, Occupancy mode has never been a setting I've seen in the menu's.

The only option I've gotten is being able to switch between stereo and surround.

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The manual also says there is a Mute button on the steering wheel. Haven't found that either. I can see to find a quick and easy way to mute the radio other than to hold the volume down button on the steering wheel till it mutes.
Sponsored