Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Trying to setup a CAN bus sniffer and I haven't found the second HSCAN bus CAN2-2 that OBDLink and ForScan says is there. I have the required HSCAN bus on pins 6 and 14, and the MSCAN bus on pins 3 and 11 (running at 500000), but don't see the other HSCAN bus that OBDLink calls 'Network B' and ForScan labels 'HSCAN3'?

I tried pins 1 and 9 from the following table and had no luck seeing the CAN bus traffic that my OBDlink MX+ is getting updates from. Hoping someone with access to a Mach-E schematic and/or a labelled pinout for the OBDII connector can guide me to the third CAN bus.

Why so I want this CAN bus? The APIM module is located on this bus and has the GPS data that I would like to include in my logging software

From http://openxcplatform.com/vehicle-interface/hardware.html:
CAN Buses on OBD Pins
The OBD-II port has one standard pin pair for a single CAN bus, but many automakers expose other buses on additional, non-standard pin pairs. For this documentation, we’ll use this nomenclature:

OBD-II Pin PairOpenXC Bus NameOther common name
6 (+) and 14 (-)CAN1CAN high / CAN low from ISO 15765-4 and SAE-J2284
3 (+) and 11 (-)CAN2-1Ford secondary, Chrysler CCD
1 (+) and 8/9 (-)*CAN2-2Ford: infotainment, GM: J2411
* If available, Pin 8 on Ford B, C platforms and Pin 9 on Ford D platforms. This is typically not available.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Got some wiring harness info and did more digging and there are just the HSCAN and MSCAN buses on the ODBII and both run at 500000 bits per second.

And there is nothing to sniff. If you hook up to either bus you see no traffic until you send a request to a module.