OEM diagnostic tools for MMe - any luck buying and from whom?

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
(Note to mods: feel free to relocate to appropriate forum if required - Maintenance perhaps?)
I recall seeing someone here post that they had recently acquired the Ford OE scan tool(s) to use with their MMe. Looking for info on a reputable place to buy them, and what tools to look for. I've seen ads for the VMC3 as well as a breakout box (something related to the vehicle's security platform I think), sold I believe by Rotunda. I know these tools are not cheap and probably require a license and/or subscription to one or more services. Also, if I am not mistaken, a subscription to some major locksmith org is required to program keys so I'm not concerned with that aspect. Any tech-heads out there who have invested in these that can perhaps point me in the correct direction?
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
The VCM's are on infinite backorder right now. I have had one ordered since February. They had a release last month but wasn't enough to get to my order.... There are third party alternatives that will work.

These guys are legit but their price keeps going up the longer its been: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114923677805?epid=7037476794&hash=item1ac1fc286d:g:cGQAAOSweNVecnZg

Retail on a VCM 3 is $1499 straight from Rotunda, but you can get it from your dealer for as little as $1200 if they like you.

FDRS/IDS (we use FDRS for the mach e) is $799/yr or $70 for 2 days. You can get either IDS and FDRS or FDRS and FJDS...FJDS there's no point to get unless you're trying to program modules on an older vehicle with a 3rd party scan tool and not a VCM.

You CAN program a second key from 1 key if you have a dealer login. You cannot program with 0 keys present without the special locksmith stuff.

Also keep in mind the third party tools ONLY work with FDRS/FJDS it will not work with IDS (for most pre 2021 Fords).

OP
OP

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Appreciate the info. I asked my selling dealer, and no surprise, I got crickets... Since I'm looking at using this on both my MMe, and (if possible) a '17 F450, I'm looking for max compatibility.
Glad to know about the one-key option, although from the sounds of things, trying to find a spare fob is difficult right now.
I think what I'll do is try poking the dealer in town (selling dealer was a few counties over) to see if I get a better response from them. Otherwise I'll stick with the Rotunda route.
Gotta say, though...I really despise this dealer paywall nonsense. Holding out hope that the growing right-to-repair movement keeps its momentum, even if slow.

Laker212

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Country flag
(Note to mods: feel free to relocate to appropriate forum if required - Maintenance perhaps?)
I recall seeing someone here post that they had recently acquired the Ford OE scan tool(s) to use with their MMe. Looking for info on a reputable place to buy them, and what tools to look for. I've seen ads for the VMC3 as well as a breakout box (something related to the vehicle's security platform I think), sold I believe by Rotunda. I know these tools are not cheap and probably require a license and/or subscription to one or more services. Also, if I am not mistaken, a subscription to some major locksmith org is required to program keys so I'm not concerned with that aspect. Any tech-heads out there who have invested in these that can perhaps point me in the correct direction?
I have. A vcm3 w a laptop for sale has plugs as well let me know if your interested
Sponsored