First Name
Matt
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Another question for the masses.... If you have a reservation with a dealer and when it's time for ordering and you find out that ADM chargers are being applied or the price is marked up... What are your options? If you cancel your order, you'll have to start all over again and wait another year? I'm just wanting to know all options in worse case scenario.

MarkSFL

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Ford C-Max
Country flag
Another question for the masses.... If you have a reservation with a dealer and when it's time for ordering and you find out that ADM chargers are being applied or the price is marked up... What are your options? If you cancel your order, you'll have to start all over again and wait another year? I'm just wanting to know all options in worse case scenario.
Oh gosh, if that happens please reach out to me and I'll try to help out. We have an internal support line we can use specifically to help Mach-E reservation holders. I'm sure there's a way to switch your reservation over to a different dealership that won't try to nickel & dime you.

Mark Thomas
Springfield Ford
610-482-4340 (text or call)
[email protected]
(or email me directly at [email protected])

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
That's exactly what I want to know. What is the difficulty in transferring my reservation to a different dealer.

My alternate path is to make a second reservation at another dealer while holding on to the original and go from there.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2015 Mustang Convertible, 2016 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You can switch your dealer, color, model, drive, battery size, etc at order time. I don't have the exact article/interview, but I thought it was also mentioned somewhere on the ford.com mach-e page. It might have been on one of the pages you see while making the reservation, like where you picked the dealer. It isn't in the reservation FAQ at the moment, but it should be

JSAlexVa

First Name
Jerry
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicles
VW Alltrack
Country flag
Contacted my dealership, Ourisman Ford Lincoln of Alexandria, VA and they indicated wanting to be transparent, per Ford, and not to expect an ADM. Promising......

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
An OEM offered to sell me a car in another part of the state with lower sales taxes. Does anyone think it's a problem to change dealers based on sales tax rates?
Check your state tax laws for motor vehicles. In my state, it's based on where you live, not the location of the dealership (unlike most other purchases).

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Check your state tax laws for motor vehicles. In my state, it's based on where you live, not the location of the dealership (unlike most other purchases).
Thanks for spurring me to look into this even more! Two things came up in my search on this topic:
  • I can't find a law that says that sales taxes will be assessed based on registration location in my state.
  • Dealers actively advertise their sales tax rates as a differentiator.
This is a $900 or more difference in price that I'm willing to use a bit of travel time on.

jlauro

First Name
John
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicles
Charger R/T AWD, Rav4, future Mach-E
Country flag
Thanks for spurring me to look into this even more! Two things came up in my search on this topic:
  • I can't find a law that says that sales taxes will be assessed based on registration location in my state.
  • Dealers actively advertise their sales tax rates as a differentiator.
This is a $900 or more difference in price that I'm willing to use a bit of travel time on.
From: https://roadloans.com/blog/buying-a-car-out-of-state
Sales tax must be paid in your home state and dealerships usually provide assistance with this, too, sending on the payment to the relevant agency. While you don’t have to pay sales tax twice, you may have to meet the difference if the state where you bought the car has a lower sales tax than your own.

You will likely need to pay the taxes when you file your state taxes, or risk a big fine if you get audited... and I would think when you register a new vehicle to get plates they would tie those bits together to increase the chance of an audit if you skipped out on state taxes for it... that said, some states are probably pickier about it than others.

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
@jlauro, right. Sorry for the confusion.
I'm looking at changing my selected dealer from my home county to another dealer two counties over within the same state.

My selected dealer has a 10% sales tax rate. I located another dealer with an 8.5% sales tax rate. That's a big difference for this business transaction.

jlauro

First Name
John
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicles
Charger R/T AWD, Rav4, future Mach-E
Country flag
@jlauro, right. Sorry for the confusion.
I'm looking at changing my selected dealer from my home county to another dealer two counties over within the same state.
I forget that some cities(/counties too?) have a sales tax... bad enough states have different rates... I am glad around my area we only have varying property tax by location and a few cities also have "city" employment taxes. A single sales tax rate in all cities/states would be better...

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I forget that some cities(/counties too?) have a sales tax... bad enough states have different rates... I am glad around my area we only have varying property tax by location and a few cities also have "city" employment taxes. A single sales tax rate in all cities/states would be better...
It's certainly simpler. But it's also not as fair for the people in small towns to be paying extra for the services of the big cities in the state.

Here in CO we have big differences in sales tax rates. The state sales tax rate is only 2.9%. But then there can be county, city, and special district on top of that jacking it up over 8%. Which it does in most of the Denver area. But out in rural counties it's usually just the 2.9% because they don't have a bunch of expensive services to fund.

Mp71323

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
That's exactly what I want to know. What is the difficulty in transferring my reservation to a different dealer.

My alternate path is to make a second reservation at another dealer while holding on to the original and go from there.
You can switch your dealer, color, model, drive, battery size, etc at order time. I don't have the exact article/interview, but I thought it was also mentioned somewhere on the ford.com mach-e page. It might have been on one of the pages you see while making the reservation, like where you picked the dealer. It isn't in the reservation FAQ at the moment, but it should be
So should we be talking to other dealers to have a backup plan? It doesn't sound like my dealer is going to tell me anything until May. I have a feeling they are going to unload everything on the day of purchase.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2015 Mustang Convertible, 2016 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So should we be talking to other dealers to have a backup plan? It doesn't sound like my dealer is going to tell me anything until May. I have a feeling they are going to unload everything on the day of purchase.
The advantage of a dealer network is that you can shop around.