silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Another question for the masses.... If you have a reservation with a dealer and when it's time for ordering and you find out that ADM chargers are being applied or the price is marked up... What are your options? If you cancel your order, you'll have to start all over again and wait another year? I'm just wanting to know all options in worse case scenario.
That's exactly what I want to know. What is the difficulty in transferring my reservation to a different dealer.

My alternate path is to make a second reservation at another dealer while holding on to the original and go from there.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You can switch your dealer, color, model, drive, battery size, etc at order time. I don't have the exact article/interview, but I thought it was also mentioned somewhere on the ford.com mach-e page. It might have been on one of the pages you see while making the reservation, like where you picked the dealer. It isn't in the reservation FAQ at the moment, but it should be

JSAlexVa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
Contacted my dealership, Ourisman Ford Lincoln of Alexandria, VA and they indicated wanting to be transparent, per Ford, and not to expect an ADM. Promising......

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
An OEM offered to sell me a car in another part of the state with lower sales taxes. Does anyone think it's a problem to change dealers based on sales tax rates?
Check your state tax laws for motor vehicles. In my state, it's based on where you live, not the location of the dealership (unlike most other purchases).

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Check your state tax laws for motor vehicles. In my state, it's based on where you live, not the location of the dealership (unlike most other purchases).
Thanks for spurring me to look into this even more! Two things came up in my search on this topic:
  • I can't find a law that says that sales taxes will be assessed based on registration location in my state.
  • Dealers actively advertise their sales tax rates as a differentiator.
This is a $900 or more difference in price that I'm willing to use a bit of travel time on.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Thanks for spurring me to look into this even more! Two things came up in my search on this topic:
  • I can't find a law that says that sales taxes will be assessed based on registration location in my state.
  • Dealers actively advertise their sales tax rates as a differentiator.
This is a $900 or more difference in price that I'm willing to use a bit of travel time on.
From: https://roadloans.com/blog/buying-a-car-out-of-state
Sales tax must be paid in your home state and dealerships usually provide assistance with this, too, sending on the payment to the relevant agency. While you don’t have to pay sales tax twice, you may have to meet the difference if the state where you bought the car has a lower sales tax than your own.

You will likely need to pay the taxes when you file your state taxes, or risk a big fine if you get audited... and I would think when you register a new vehicle to get plates they would tie those bits together to increase the chance of an audit if you skipped out on state taxes for it... that said, some states are probably pickier about it than others.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
@jlauro, right. Sorry for the confusion.
I'm looking at changing my selected dealer from my home county to another dealer two counties over within the same state.

My selected dealer has a 10% sales tax rate. I located another dealer with an 8.5% sales tax rate. That's a big difference for this business transaction.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@jlauro, right. Sorry for the confusion.
I'm looking at changing my selected dealer from my home county to another dealer two counties over within the same state.
I forget that some cities(/counties too?) have a sales tax... bad enough states have different rates... I am glad around my area we only have varying property tax by location and a few cities also have "city" employment taxes. A single sales tax rate in all cities/states would be better...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I forget that some cities(/counties too?) have a sales tax... bad enough states have different rates... I am glad around my area we only have varying property tax by location and a few cities also have "city" employment taxes. A single sales tax rate in all cities/states would be better...
It's certainly simpler. But it's also not as fair for the people in small towns to be paying extra for the services of the big cities in the state.

Here in CO we have big differences in sales tax rates. The state sales tax rate is only 2.9%. But then there can be county, city, and special district on top of that jacking it up over 8%. Which it does in most of the Denver area. But out in rural counties it's usually just the 2.9% because they don't have a bunch of expensive services to fund.

Mp71323

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
That's exactly what I want to know. What is the difficulty in transferring my reservation to a different dealer.

My alternate path is to make a second reservation at another dealer while holding on to the original and go from there.
You can switch your dealer, color, model, drive, battery size, etc at order time. I don't have the exact article/interview, but I thought it was also mentioned somewhere on the ford.com mach-e page. It might have been on one of the pages you see while making the reservation, like where you picked the dealer. It isn't in the reservation FAQ at the moment, but it should be
So should we be talking to other dealers to have a backup plan? It doesn't sound like my dealer is going to tell me anything until May. I have a feeling they are going to unload everything on the day of purchase.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So should we be talking to other dealers to have a backup plan? It doesn't sound like my dealer is going to tell me anything until May. I have a feeling they are going to unload everything on the day of purchase.
The advantage of a dealer network is that you can shop around.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
Good news, Galpin Ford in Van Nuys California has confirmed no ADM:
"I just spoke with my Department Manager who tells me we can guarantee there wont be a mark up in price for the Mach E in our part. Our sales price will be the price listed by Ford as the MSRP.
If you want to place your order with us, you will need to cancel your excisting order and place a new order choosing Galpin Ford as your dealership."

I have my order placed with Star Ford in Glendale, actually. Still waiting to get confirmation they will not add ADM. The Star salesperson I spoke with said he didn't think so, that the Mach-E isn't quite rare enough like a Shelby and that he had not heard any plans to do so -- but he couldn't promise. Said he would check with his general manager and get back to me....

But is the 2nd point from Galpin above correct, if I want to switch to Galpin?
I thought we can pick/switch our dealer at the time of ordering?

I don't want to cancel and lose my chance to get my Mach-E in 2020 (especially with all these battery shortages!)

Last edited:

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@jksu , I wouldn't risk canceling and loosing my place in line unless you were sure you didn't want to get the vehicle from the current listed dealer (especially if you have a FE on reserve). Someone called Ford and Ford said you could have the new dealer take over the reservation at the time of ordering, At this point in time, I would trust Ford more than a dealer about knowing the best procedure. I suggest you call their customer support at 800-392-3673 if you want to do something now instead of waiting.

TheBluf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
Good news, Galpin Ford in Van Nuys California has confirmed no ADM:
"I just spoke with my Department Manager who tells me we can guarantee there wont be a mark up in price for the Mach E in our part. Our sales price will be the price listed by Ford as the MSRP.
If you want to place your order with us, you will need to cancel your excisting order and place a new order choosing Galpin Ford as your dealership."

I have my order placed with Star Ford in Glendale, actually, and am still waiting to hear back whether they can confirm the will not add ADM. The salesperson I spoke with said he didn't think so, that the Mach-E isn't quite rare enough like a Shelby and that had not heard any plans to do so -- but he couldn't promise. Said he would have to confirm with the general manager and get back to me....

But is the 2nd point from Galpin above correct if I want to switch to Galpin?
I thought we can pick/switch our dealer at the time of ordering?

I don't want to cancel and lose my chance to get my Mach-E in 2020 (especially with all these battery shortages!)
Please let us know if you hear back from Star Ford - that's my current dealer, but I would switch to Galpin if Star Ford plans to charge ADM. I'm also wondering if either (or both) of them will accept X plan pricing, as I'd change dealers for that...

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
I do not think my dealer has a clue on what to do about selling the Mach.
Too early in the game to get straight answers. Sure call them and ask your
questions. They will be there to make you happy. Then call them again later
but first add *67 when you call to block your name. This is because when your
number comes up the computer shows you are their customer.
I did this and spoke to different salesmen and got different answers.
As: I was the only one to have a reservation then 2 days later there were
20. Yesterday there was 2. It does happen.
Sponsored