OK Mach-e horde, why is VW delaying the ID4?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Saw the news, didn't get the reason why.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Last edited by a moderator:

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Because no EV comes out on time?
I think there were a couple of people before talking delays and they didn't want to wait for the mache and went with the ID4. they could get the ID4 this year and decided no mache. Again shows how hard ford and the people at the plant worked to keep things on track.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think there were a couple of people before talking delays and they didn't want to wait for the mache and went with the ID4. they could get the ID4 this year and decided no mache. Again shows how hard ford and the people at the plant worked to keep things on track.
I hope those folks didn't cancel their Mach E orders yet counting on VW to be on time.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I hope those folks didn't cancel their Mach E orders yet counting on VW to be on time.
Unfortunately with the resurgence of covid the MME we are all hoping to get in the next few months may be delayed also.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Unfortunately with the resurgence of covid the MME we are all hoping to get in the next few months may be delayed also.
Please at least keep everyone safe and running smoothly through the end of the year!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
They can't build enough due to supply issues to send vehicles to all their markets. So instead they focus on the are which will result in the least amount of fines.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
From the article, which is in turn quoting a paywalled Auto News article:
More from the article:

Top VW executives announced Oct. 29 that the company expects to be fined in Europe this year for failing to achieve its carbon dioxide reduction target for its new-car fleet. The ID4 — a Tiguan-sized crossover built on the automaker's modular electric platform — is currently produced for Europe and North America in Zwickau, Germany, alongside the Golf-sized ID3 hatchback EV that is not destined for the U.S.

European sales of the ID3 were delayed this year by nagging software issues. The delay held up the planned start of production of the ID4 for several weeks.

By prioritizing sales of the two EVs in Europe through the end of the year, VW can lower the fines it expects to incur. As of last month, a second plant, in Shanghai, was producing ID4 variants for sale in the Chinese market.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
They have parts issue with the id4 and the platform supplies 4 different vehicles and shares around 40% of the same parts. With the risk of fines, they decided to sell what they could make in Europe before sending the id4 here next year.

The bigger problem is with the supply problems already going on how much later than march could it go.
Gm has shut down plants for extra weeks due to parts just now and Toyota. Planned extra weekend shifts at ford plants have been called off.
Parts and suppliers are getting squeezed hard right now.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Please at least keep everyone safe and running smoothly through the end of the year!
Mark,

I am going to have to give you a ticket for being mean. I assume your Mach-e is scheduled for production this year. Some of us (me included) have a scheduled production date for January, February, etc. We hope that everyone remains safe through all of 2021 and beyond.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Mark,

I am going to have to give you a ticket for being mean. I assume your Mach-e is scheduled for production this year. Some of us (me included) have a scheduled production date for January, February, etc. We hope that everyone remains safe through all of 2021 and beyond.
Sorry, just sarcasm with a bit of truth. I don’t mean anyone’s individual car, I meant EV models. Can you name a single EV that has actually come to market on schedule?
Sponsored