Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Once 'green' plug-in hybrid cars suddenly look like dinosaurs in Europe | Reuters

LONDON/BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Remember when plug-in hybrid cars were the go-to technology for the climate-conscious driver? Turns out, they’re not good for the environment, according to some experts, and they could be phased out by carmakers in the face of tougher European rules.

EU policy plans for plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs), which contain an electric battery and a combustion engine, could mean the “transition” technology has a shorter lifespan than envisaged by some leading automakers.

Draft green finance regulations would ban manufacturers from labelling them as “sustainable investments” beyond 2025, potentially deterring investors. Meanwhile planned rules on emissions of pollutants like nitrogen oxides could increase the cost of producing these cars.

The aim of such reforms is to speed the transit to fully-electric vehicles and meet climate goals. Yet they would mark a shift from existing EU policies, such as CO2 standards, which have treated hybrids on a par with all-electric cars and helped spur the auto industry to invest tens of billions of euros in the technology.

(more at source)
Sponsored

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
there's been other threads on here around "value" of PHEVs etc. although I'm having no luck finding them.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
there's been other threads on here around "value" of PHEVs etc. although I'm having no luck finding them.
From what I have been reading Hydrogen Cell cars are also on the way out. Toyota cant even give away a Mirai right now, actually owners want Toyota to buy them back since most owners can't even fuel them. These PHEV and Alt fuel cell cars going the way of the Beta and TurboGrafx16

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
From what I have been reading Hydrogen Cell cars are also on the way out. Toyota cant even give away a Mirai right now, actually owners want Toyota to buy them back since most owners can't even fuel them. These PHEV and Alt fuel cell cars going the way of the Beta and TurboGrafx16
yeah there was a thread about the Toyota:

(1) Toyota Mirai Owners; There Is No Fuel And We Want Out Of These Cars | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com

things now are very different than they were in 2013 when I bought my Fusion Energi..

of course that said - there's a massive amount of range anxiety on this very forum and that's one thing you never worry about in a PHEV.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
This is idiotic. If people don't bother charging their PHEVs they shouldn't buy them.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
These are the same governments that promoted diesel for a decade, then suddenly claimed it is oh so bad. I hope people vote these politicians out of power soon.

A PHEV is worse than a combustion car? Whom are they kidding? A PHEV is still as good as a hybrid due to regenerative braking even if it is never charged.
And to ensure people charge them, there is a simple solution. Make the cars log the number of miles driven on electricity vs. on gas and adjust the annual registration fees based on that ratio. Even the average mpg for the year will do.

A PHEV has a few advantage, especially in cold weather. Not to mention the much longer range and fast fill-ups on long trips.

I smell heavy lobbying here to bend the facts for the benefit of some groups.
Sponsored

Last edited: