Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Also do we know if Ford will autolock? I know you can manually lock it by touching the door button, but can you just walk away like a Tesla?
That's hardly a new feature nor is it unique to Tesla. My 15-year-old Tacoma does that.
Sponsored

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I'm in Las Vegas... If you don't use a fob, how do you Valet Park?

Seem like a minor point, but I can name many occasions where you must valet park.
There's always a choice. I don't let anyone drive any of my cars, no matter what.

OP
OP
lwilliams0514

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag

Seem like a minor point, but I can name many occasions where you must valet park.
Now THIS is a good question! I dont know the answer.....

OP
OP
lwilliams0514

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag

Ok after a little digging.... you can set Valet mode and that will give a temporary code to use to start the car. Give that to the Valet and they can get in and start and move the car. Once your done you can turn it off when the car detects the PAAK.

Quoted from the Owner's Manual:

Using the Valet Mode
  1. Press Settings on the touchscreen.
  1. Press Valet Mode.
Note: Have your Backup Start Passcode completely setup before using Valet Mode.
Note: Once the system detects a valid Phone as a Key, the temporary passcode displays in both the touchscreen and mobile app. If the system does not detect a valid Phone as a Key, it prompts you to enter your Backup Start Passcode. Once validated, the temporary passcode displays on the touchscreen.
  1. Enter the first five digits of the passcode on the keyless entry keypad to unlock your vehicle.
  1. Enter the eight-digit passcode on the touchscreen to start and drive your vehicle.
To disable Valet Mode, press Exit Valet Mode on the touchscreen. Once the system detects an authorized Phone as a Key, it disables. If the system does not detect a valid Phone as a Key, it prompts you to enter your Backup Start Passcode. Once validated, Valet Mode disables.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Ok after a little digging.... you can set Valet mode and that will give a temporary code to use to start the car. Give that to the Valet and they can get in and start and move the car. Once your done you can turn it off when the car detects the PAAK.

Quoted from the Owner's Manual:

Using the Valet Mode
  1. Press Settings on the touchscreen.
  2. Press Valet Mode.
Note: Have your Backup Start Passcode completely setup before using Valet Mode.
Note: Once the system detects a valid Phone as a Key, the temporary passcode displays in both the touchscreen and mobile app. If the system does not detect a valid Phone as a Key, it prompts you to enter your Backup Start Passcode. Once validated, the temporary passcode displays on the touchscreen.
  1. Enter the first five digits of the passcode on the keyless entry keypad to unlock your vehicle.
  2. Enter the eight-digit passcode on the touchscreen to start and drive your vehicle.
To disable Valet Mode, press Exit Valet Mode on the touchscreen. Once the system detects an authorized Phone as a Key, it disables. If the system does not detect a valid Phone as a Key, it prompts you to enter your Backup Start Passcode. Once validated, Valet Mode disables.
I read that too and was trying to understand it…. So we would have to give the Valet both the passcode for the door, as well as the passcode to start the vehicle? Would we all make a laminated card with this and put it in our wallets just for the valet?

Or, there’s this…
https://www.youtube.com/watch/a6iW-8xPw3k

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I read that too and was trying to understand it…. So we would have to give the Valet both the passcode for the door, as well as the passcode to start the vehicle? Would we all make a laminated card with this and put it in our wallets just for the valet?

Or, there’s this…
https://www.youtube.com/watch/a6iW-8xPw3k
I wonder if it's feasible to let the valet write down that code on the valet ticket. How well does valet react to such an arrangement? Has any one tried?

By the way, this is one area where I think key card is really convenient. The key code approach is a little less convenient. But I only valet once in a while, when I don't have other choices.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
So we would have to give the Valet both the passcode for the door, as well as the passcode to start the vehicle?
It's a single 8-digit passcode. They would enter the first 5 digits of the code to unlock the door and the full 8 digits on the screen to start it. But if I was going somewhere that I knew would be valet, I would just bring the key fob with me to avoid confusion.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I am just learning that the MME will only come with one key. The reason for this is that you can use Phone as a Key and the door code to get in and drive the car. This is a short video that shows that...

I think that video missed the ability to use FordPass' Web site to remotely unlock the car, assuming the battery were charged. At least I know My Ford Mobile has that capability, so I expect FordPass does/will as well. {Jonathan}

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
There's always a choice. I don't let anyone drive any of my cars, no matter what.
LOL, there is always that choice, if you don't mind limiting your style of life.

For example, if you happen to start your Alaska cruise from San Francisco, you can drive there and utilize the cruise parking, within walking distance of the ship. I have.

But, they will drive the cruise parking vehicles into a separate parking area, and pack them in like sardines.

10 days later, you show up, and they deliver to you a freshly washed vehicle, and off you go.

As for the valet procedure in the Manual, good luck with that.:)

Just give them the freaking fob. In Vegas they park Ferrari's, Maserati's, etc. They won't dent your MME, LOL.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
you could always keep a key fob in the glove compartment in a Faraday bag so you always have it but you have to make the effort to get it out. There's plenty of options on Big River etc. for this.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
you could always keep a key fob in the glove compartment in a Faraday bag so you always have it but you have to make the effort to get it out. There's plenty of options on Big River etc. for this.
IS the glove compartment lockable? I know locking your fob in the glove compartment seems nonsensical, but my concern is break-ins - especially here in San Francisco where it's rampant.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
IS the glove compartment lockable? I know locking your fob in the glove compartment seems nonsensical, but my concern is break-ins - especially here in San Francisco where it's rampant.
I don't think so - it's absolutely a risky scenario. I probably should have had that as a disclaimer.

It may be that there is a place you can hide the fob-in-a-bag well enough that it won't be easily found - the glove compartment doesn't count. :) I don't have my car yet to play around and see.

I think the "valet problem" as it were is real. Although the process is documented, it feels just tedious enough that I don't know if the "teenager that thinks hooning your rental car at over 50 in a 35 while on the phone with his girlfriend" (*) could handle it.

that said I hate valet parking with a passion. I know some places require it but whenever I can self-park, I do. Less hassle, less time lost waiting, less cost, and higher trust.

So I am trying to think of a balance that doesn't involve me carrying the fob in my pocket all the time. In winter, it's just in my coat pocket and I don't worry about it, but in summer, it can be a real PITA to carry it. (**)

(*) I've mentioned this true story on here before.
(**) FIRST WORLD PROBLEM

OP
OP
lwilliams0514

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Never thought about the Faraday bag option! That is a great suggestion so that the car doesn't give you the obnoxious double beep letting you know you left your key in the car lol.
Sponsored