One man's road trip across California revealed many of the inconveniences of driving a non-Tesla electric car

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
  • CNBC reporter Brian Sullivan said he faced several difficulties charging his EV on his road trip.
  • Charging times took longer than he expected and the California heat took a toll on his car's range.
  • Sullivan's report comes just a week after another driver faced difficulties charging a Mach-E during a trip.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/one-mans-road-trip-across-152619231.html
Thoughts
Sponsored

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
  • CNBC reporter Brian Sullivan said he faced several difficulties charging his EV on his road trip.
  • Charging times took longer than he expected and the California heat took a toll on his car's range.
  • Sullivan's report comes just a week after another driver faced difficulties charging a Mach-E during a trip.

Thoughts
I recall reports early last year with fast charging issues and non-Tesla cars/charging stations but it does seem that the picture has improved and will continue to improve. Note this in the piece:

Musk tweeted earlier in July that he plans to make Tesla's entire charging network accessible to all EV drivers by the end of the year. But, he said during the company's earnings call last month that non-Tesla drivers will have to pay extra to use the company's supercharging network.

Well of course non-Tesla cars makers have not invested the time, energy, and expenses to put in these superchargers so he's not about to give Ford and others the same rates as they do Teslas.

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
I recall reports early last year with fast charging issues and non-Tesla cars/charging stations but it does seem that the picture has improved and will continue to improve. Note this in the piece:

Musk tweeted earlier in July that he plans to make Tesla's entire charging network accessible to all EV drivers by the end of the year. But, he said during the company's earnings call last month that non-Tesla drivers will have to pay extra to use the company's supercharging network.

Well of course non-Tesla cars makers have not invested the time, energy, and expenses to put in these superchargers so he's not about to give Ford and others the same rates as they do Teslas.
Maybe but he will still have to compete with other charging companies if he actually hopes to make a profit from the chargers so he can't charge much more than other companies that have chargers in the same area. An to be honest if I have a choice between a Tesla charger and EA I'm gong to use EA even if they are the same price because the last thing we need is a Musk Monopoly on chargers.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Maybe but he will still have to compete with other charging companies if he actually hopes to make a profit from the chargers so he can't charge much more than other companies that have chargers in the same area. An to be honest if I have a choice between a Tesla charger and EA I'm gong to use EA even if they are the same price because the last thing we need is a Musk Monopoly on chargers.
I'm not sure the tesla superchargers are a profit item for tesla but you're right about having to compete on pricing when other charging options are available. It's just that right now Tesla's SC network is far larger and seemingly far more reliable than its competitors.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Thoughts
One of the better written articles that I've seen in a while. Can't really argue.....road trips in a Tesla have less anxiety compared to a CCS vehicle. Luckily that guy didn't come across a Tesla occupying a CCS space and NOT CHARGING. That is another problem we have to deal with sometimes.....

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I think there are plenty of EV drivers out there who would gladly pay a premium to charge at a Supercharger if it meant that they could reliably get full wattage from an unblocked and functioning charger.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's 2022 and I still can't charge my MMEGT at superchargers. C'mon Tesla. Summer is coming. I have places to go and I'd love to give you my charging dollars ?
It's my understanding that @Ford Motor Company has to request to set this up and it would be huge for Ford if Mach e's could charge at Tesla's SC network.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The Brand T charging network is reliable because they have control over the communication and charging protocols in the chargers, in the cars, etc. We will see how well they do in Europe with open charging there and multiple manufacturers’ implementation of charging standards. After they open up to CCS cars in the US, we will see how well they handle multiple manufacturers’ implementation of CCS. I think they will have a learning curve just like EA and everyone else has. ?‍♂??
Sponsored