One Pedal driving Mach-E? Are you a fan?

Are you a fan of one-pedal driving?

• Total voters

Res Nullius

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-Golf, X3
Country flag
Any one-pedal driving fans here? Vote in the poll :)

Has anyone read details about one-pedal driving the Mach-E?

I hope Ford engineers have set it up so one-pedal driving is possible since that's a big draw to me when it comes to an EV. Porsche for example dialed out one-pedal driving completely on the Taycan even though it still has brake regeneration.

So it seems like it's up to an EV's engineers whether they want to bake one-pedal driving into the car's abilities, and it's not a function of whether the car has brake regen or not.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, many of the reviews and interviews discuss the one-pedal and regenerative braking. Supposedly it has the three modes: Whisper, Engage, and Unbridled that range from gentle response with lots of coast to rapid acceleration and high regeneration. Additionally, they've mentioned there is a separate selector for full one-pedal driving.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Mach-e is supposed to have a one-pedal setting. Haven't seen any of the drive demos say anything about it in real life yet though.

Here's one excerpt I found...

Ford also doubled down on the experience of one-pedal driving. Many EVs employ aggressive regeneration when the driver lifts off the accelerator, providing defacto braking that lets them start and stop the car using only the accelerator. This one-pedal driving can be very convenient in traffic, but it usually works only at slow speeds, not when you need to come to a complete stop.

“Many electric cars, when you take your foot off the gas, they regen down to 3 mph and then they can’t regen any more. You can’t really stop by just taking your foot off the accelerator because it is not bringing you to a halt.”

Recognizing this issue, the Mach-E will actually activate the foundation brakes at these very low speeds to give drivers a seamless one-pedal driving experience, Palmer explained. “We have integrated the brake system to do that. You get one pedal to bring the vehicle to a stop because we blend in the brakes and hold you on a hill.”

https://www.designnews.com/automoti...ach-es-recipe-success/22583893962143/page/0/1

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Once you get used to one pedal driving, it is hard to go back to the "old" way!!!!
I'm almost afraid I'll like it too much, or get too used to it. Like many mainstream buyers, we'll have both a BEV and an ICE vehicle in our household (especially for road trips). I don't want it to be too big of a difference to jump back and forth.

Blinkingicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Mustang GT, 2015 Taco
Country flag
I only recently drove a Tesla for the first time and admit it was strange and did not like regenerative braking at first. It’s changing decades of driving habits but once I got used to it I found it easier and less work. I do like how they have settings for people used to traditional two pedal driving to ease into it.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'm almost afraid I'll like it too much, or get too used to it. Like many mainstream buyers, we'll have both a BEV and an ICE vehicle in our household (especially for road trips). I don't want it to be too big of a difference to jump back and forth.
Its really a non-issue. You're used to years and years of driving with a brake pedal that the instant something happens to make you react quickly you rely on your first instinct: to hit the brake. Even with 1-pedal mode on the brake pedal still works to stop the car.

Switching back and forth between driving an EV in one pedal mode and an ICE is fairly trivial. When you get in the ICE and let off the gas it feels like you're on ice--reminding you to hit the brake LOL.

Reactions: Nak

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
It takes one stop light, where the car is not stopping and your brain goes into retro mode to push the brake pedal.....

:oops::rolleyes:;):)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't think it will really be an issue - I drove stick for almost 25 years before getting too old and lazy. I almost always let the engine slow me down, only using the brakes to fully stop or for emergencies. It was never a problem when I was driving my wife's automatic; I realized pretty quickly the car wasn't slowing down and tapped the brake.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Don't forget, when your battery is full or cold, one pedal driving doesn't really work. (The battery can't accept the charge.) So you'll be transitioning back and forth even in your EV. Going between your EV and your ICE car will be a non-issue as far as the brake differences. You won't like driving your ICE car anymore, but it won't be a safety issue.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Don't forget, when your battery is full or cold, one pedal driving doesn't really work. (The battery can't accept the charge.) So you'll be transitioning back and forth even in your EV. Going between your EV and your ICE car will be a non-issue as far as the brake differences. You won't like driving your ICE car anymore, but it won't be a safety issue.
In this case, the car should automatically use friction braking to achieve the same end result.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
That sounds like a good idea to me. Do any cars do that? The Tesla doesn't.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
In any car that only has two pedals then I automatically use both feet and left foot brake so I would prefer to continue on as normal.

I like porches approach with the taycan you want to slow down you push the brake pedal if that is achieved via regeneration or the friction brakes should be irrelevant to the driver. As long as there is an option to have it either way as forcing it one way is going to leave people unhappy.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Here's the screen that controls one pedal driving mode ... so it's in the software ?
Ford Mustang Mach-E One Pedal driving Mach-E? Are you a fan? IMG_2411
Sponsored