One Pedal driving Mach-E? Are you a fan?

Are you a fan of one-pedal driving?

• Total voters

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I don't think it will really be an issue - I drove stick for almost 25 years before getting too old and lazy. I almost always let the engine slow me down, only using the brakes to fully stop or for emergencies. It was never a problem when I was driving my wife's automatic; I realized pretty quickly the car wasn't slowing down and tapped the brake.
That's an interesting analogy/comparrison I had not really thought about. I still would prefer a stick, and I learned on one, but impossible to find a car I would buy with a manual transmission these days since my first year Ford Contour 5 speed that I had.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's an interesting analogy/comparrison I had not really thought about. I still would prefer a stick, and I learned on one, but impossible to find a car I would buy with a manual transmission these days since my first year Ford Contour 5 speed that I had.
I would say that I miss driving stick, but I love the ability to sit inside my house and drink coffee while the car warms itself for 5 minutes on a cold winter day. I tried doing the paddle shifters but it's not the same.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I would say that I miss driving stick, but I love the ability to sit inside my house and drink coffee while the car warms itself for 5 minutes on a cold winter day. I tried doing the paddle shifters but it's not the same.
Brick on the clutch?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Unfortunately, no. The amount of regen doesn't seem to be changeable outside of selecting the drive modes. If you want little to no regen when lifting off the accelerator, you have to be in Whisper mode.
Correct. No regen paddles unfortunately. :(
I have driven a Chevrolet Bolt a few times and there were two things that I enjoyed about that car. The regen paddles were nice to have and the rear view mirror that displays the camera feed was pretty cool. I can imagine it could go from cool to very useful if there was a large crate or box loaded in back that obstructed the actual mirror view image. In that situation having the camera feed might be super handy.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Brick on the clutch?
Not in a slanted driveway for sure, especially since I don't use emergency brakes :)

I used to put the e-brake on all the time in my mom's ford Granada (it was an automatic), and one winter day in 1984 I must have gotten water up in there while driving, and then put the e brake on like always. The next day it was frozen solid and my dad couldn't get the damn thing to unfreeze. I'll never forget him cursing while the one drivewheel was spinning and smoking and the car still wouldn't budge. I don't remember how he got it to finally release (hair dryer I think), but I haven't used an emergency brake since.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Correct. No regen paddles unfortunately. :(
I have driven a Chevrolet Bolt a few times and there were two things that I enjoyed about that car. The regen paddles were nice to have and the rear view mirror that displays the camera feed was pretty cool. I can imagine it could go from cool to very useful if there was a large crate or box loaded in back that obstructed the actual mirror view image. In that situation having the camera feed might be super handy.
Only one paddle. Two paddles are even better but it only has one on the left side. That said, I think Ford made the right call in not having one. If you're using the high regen setting (aka one peddle driving), which is what you'd be using in a stop and go situation, then the car is already using max regen so the paddle has little or no effect.

The camera is fantastic. It's useful even if the back window isn't obscured. The view covers such a wide area you can easily see what's coming from two lanes over, which is particularly helpful when merging or getting to an off-ramp. Wave of the future!

FWIW the one feature Tesla has that I lust after is the driver cam. I love that. Seems like it could help you see whether you really are a good driver as well as help when someone else who isn't causes and accident.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Only one paddle. Two paddles are even better but it only has one on the left side. That said, I think Ford made the right call in not having one. If you're using the high regen setting (aka one peddle driving), which is what you'd be using in a stop and go situation, then the car is already using max regen so the paddle has little or no effect.

The camera is fantastic. It's useful even if the back window isn't obscured. The view covers such a wide area you can easily see what's coming from two lanes over, which is particularly helpful when merging or getting to an off-ramp. Wave of the future!

FWIW the one feature Tesla has that I lust after is the driver cam. I love that. Seems like it could help you see whether you really are a good driver as well as help when someone else who isn't causes and accident.
Only 1? Was there a paddle on the right side for something different?
I've tested so many different EVs that it's hard to remember stuff sometimes. The FFE has two paddles but they are for something different. The one on the right activates the voice command feature. The one on the left pauses and then resumes the cruise control. When I first got my car I thought "Well that is going to be totally useless...." Turns out its actually kinda useful! Go figure. :)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Paddle shifters are a poor substitute

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Only 1? Was there a paddle on the right side for something different?
Only one. Maybe a different car -- the ELR had two. Love the idea of having the paddle engage cruise. Using the paddle on the Bolt disengages it. Just like a brake.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have to agree with the comparison to a stick. I drove a stick for 32 years. The regen in the Bolt is very similar to driving a stick, when you let off the accelerator it slows down just like engine drag but it uses it as regen.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
Can someone explain which drive mode maximizes the brake regen? Is it one pedal driving + unbridled? Or is it all the same as long as it's on one pedal driving?

Irfan

First Name
Irfan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Investments
Country flag
Can someone explain which drive mode maximizes the brake regen? Is it one pedal driving + unbridled? Or is it all the same as long as it's on one pedal driving?
Unbridled mode allows the maximum regen of all the modes, however when selected One pedal driving provides the most regen braking and ignores the different levels of regen one can select in unbridled mode.
Sponsored