One Pedal driving Mach-E? Are you a fan?

Are you a fan of one-pedal driving?

• Total voters

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Taycan just coasts when you let off the accelerator because Porsche wanted to make the car as similar to every other Porsche as possible. It's a lost opportunity to capture energy and add range back to the battery.
That's not the way it works. It still gets energy from region when you press on the brake pedal. Lots of people think that "sailing" is more energy efficient than one-pedal. Anyway, my Audi e-tron used the Taycan method and regain worked very well.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That's not the way it works.
Sure it does. Regeneration does not happen until the brake pedal is pressed on the Taycan. The Porsche's software blends the mechanical and regenerative braking as needed.

In one-pedal driving modes in cars such as the Bolt EV in L or the Model 3 on standard, you modulate your speed with the accelerator and the software will use the motor's acceleration or regenerative capability as needed. The brake pedal will of course engage mechanical braking.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sure it does. Regeneration does not happen until the brake pedal is pressed on the Taycan. The Porsche's software blends the mechanical and regenerative braking as needed.

In one-pedal driving modes in cars such as the Bolt EV in L or the Model 3 on standard, you modulate your speed with the accelerator and the software will use the motor's acceleration or regenerative capability as needed. The brake pedal will of course engage mechanical braking.
You'd be correct if the Taycan were trading potential regenerative braking for mechanical braking. In reality cars like the Taycan don't use any mechanical braking until the requested braking exceeds the braking force that regenerative braking can provide.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
You'd be correct if the Taycan were trading potential regenerative braking for mechanical braking. In reality cars like the Taycan don't use any mechanical braking until the requested braking exceeds the braking force that regenerative braking can provide.
Yes, now you're understanding. The Taycan behaves just like any other Porsche when the accelerator is released. There is no one-pedal setting. If it did, its range would likely be higher.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, now you're understanding. The Taycan behaves just like any other Porsche when the accelerator is released. There is no one-pedal setting. If it did, its range would likely be higher.
I think you misunderstood what I said: the Taycan is getting just as much regeneration using it's driving mode as it would get if it had one-pedal mode. When you let of the pedal it "sails" and uses very little energy, when the brake pedal is pressed it regenerates. They are very close to the same. The Taycan's range is not a result of not having one-pedal braking. This can be shown in cars that have different levels of regenerative force.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I think you misunderstood what I said: the Taycan is getting just as much regeneration using it's driving mode as it would get if it had one-pedal mode. When you let of the pedal it "sails" and uses very little energy, when the brake pedal is pressed it regenerates. They are very close to the same. The Taycan's range is not a result of not having one-pedal braking. This can be shown in cars that have different levels of regenerative force.
Sorry Fred, you're not making sense. Let me try again to explain it.

The Taycan only recaptures energy when the brake pedal is pressed.

One-pedal driving modes recaptures energy whenever you lift off the accelerator.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
It all depends on how and where you drive doesn't it: If you use up a "tank" of charge by freeway driving for hundreds of miles you're not going to get much regen out of that.

If you do a ton of city driving with lots of stopping you'll get a lot more--even more if its San Francisco ;)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Porsche Taycan's technology press kit discusses a bit about how energy recuperation works on that vehicle.

It's not entirely clear. The way I'm understanding it, they are storing energy during deceleration, and not yet sending it back to the battery pack. This is possible with large capacitors, for example.

They refer to the energy stored during this type of deceleration -- where the driver isn't pressing on either pedal -- as "overrun recuperation."

They've designed it this way so that this energy is more efficiently and immediately available to the next acceleration event ("go" pedal is pressed). If instead, the driver presses the brake pedal, then the stored energy is sent to the battery pack, as well as the additional energy accumulating from the ongoing deceleration event.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Porsche Taycan's technology press kit discusses a bit about how energy recuperation works on that vehicle.

It's not entirely clear. The way I'm understanding it, they are storing energy during deceleration, and not yet sending it back to the battery pack. This is possible with large capacitors, for example.

They refer to the energy stored during this type of deceleration -- where the driver isn't pressing on either pedal -- as "overrun recuperation."

They've designed it this way so that this energy is more efficiently and immediately available to the next acceleration event ("go" pedal is pressed). If instead, the driver presses the brake pedal, then the stored energy is sent to the battery pack, as well as the additional energy accumulating from the ongoing deceleration event.
Thanks. On page 6 they say:

"Driving tests have shown that approximately 90 percent of everyday braking is per- formed by the electric machines alone – without the hydraulic wheel brakes being activated."

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry Fred, you're not making sense. Let me try again to explain it.

The Taycan only recaptures energy when the brake pedal is pressed.

One-pedal driving modes recaptures energy whenever you lift off the accelerator.
I'm making perfect sense. Take this example: a Model 3 and a Taycan driving down a city street at 30 MPH. Approaching a stop sign, both slow down gently and stop. The Model 3 driver slows down by lifting off the accelerator. The Taycan driver presses on the brake pedal. Do you think that there's a significant difference in the amount of regeneration captured by each? I think not.

Also see posts 39 and 40.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
I'm making perfect sense. Take this example: a Model 3 and a Taycan driving down a city street at 30 MPH. Approaching a stop sign, both slow down gently and stop. The Model 3 driver slows down by lifting off the accelerator. The Taycan driver presses on the brake pedal. Do you think that there's a significant difference in the amount of regeneration captured by each? I think not.

Also see posts 39 and 40.
I believe Tesla does not use a blended braking system like other EV's. When you step on the Tesla brake pedal, you are only applying the friction brakes with no regen.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
You will only be correct if initial brake application is "Brake by wire" on the Taycan. I doubt it is, but I admit I don't know. If the initial brake application is brake by wire, then the brake feel is going to be different when the battery is cold or full. It doesn't seem to me that would be something Porsche would do, but again I don't know. I'm curious, does anyone here actually KNOW, or is everyone just assuming they know how the Taycan's brakes work? If you KNOW, then how about a link? I mean, it's a silly argument because the answer isn't a matter of opinion, it's a simple fact. I for one don't know what that fact is, I'm just guessing.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I believe Tesla does not use a blended braking system like other EV's. When you step on the Tesla brake pedal, you are only applying the friction brakes with no regen.
Yes and no. Yes, the brake pedal only activates the friction brakes. No, you are getting blended braking because as soon as you lift off the accelerator pedal you are getting regen. (Assuming you haven't set it to "coast" in the settings.) So when you lift off the accel, regen starts. Hitting the brake pedal applies the friction brakes, but regen continues. Regen is less effective though because the friction brakes are absorbing energy.
Sponsored