One Pedal driving Mach-E? Are you a fan?

Are you a fan of one-pedal driving?

• Total voters

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Stop trolling the OP's thread and start your own thread and I'll be happy to continue to point out your foolishness.
Sponsored

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
"When the brake-by-wire controller engages the conventional friction binders for more aggressive deceleration, it does so by imperceptibly blending the two systems. " Very interesting. I would have thought for safety's sake all vehicles still would have a mechanical connection to the brakes. Man, it is amazing how fast technology is moving. I wonder if you push the brake pedal far enough you still engage the brakes mechanically? I would think that would be a requirement... Blow a fuse and no brakes? I did read an article in Motor Trend where the author said he could feel the switch from regen to friction. MT Article
I wonder if "brake-by-wire" doesn't mean the same thing as "drive-by-wire". By this I mean, "drive-by-wire" systems generally work (as I understand it) by having a variable capacitor in the accelerator panel, and by measuring the value of this capacitor, the ECU modulates the throttle valve.

But, maybe the "brake-by-wire" still works based on hydraulics as normal, but includes bleed valves and servos for the ECU to blend it's control vs. driver control. If that is the case, then technically the driver still does have full control, for example, if a fuse blows.

Don't know, would love to find some deep dive info to confirm.

Edit: Oops, I missed this post between all the vitriol ... https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/one-pedal-driving-mach-e-are-you-a-fan.443/page-5#post-8068 good to know I was fairly close to the implementation :)

Last edited:

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I'm reading this correctly, I think I like Ford's implementation a tad better than Tesla's. Tesla uses regen down to almost zero, and then applies the brakes to stop & hold you when the car is barely moving. They do this to maximize energy recaptured, but I'd like to see the brakes blend in just a bit earlier; like it sounds what the Mach-e will do. Tesla's model is great, except that you have just a bit more creep than I'd like. If the car itself is doing the driving in stop & go driving on the freeway it's fine. But if I'm driving and coming up to a red light it's a tiny bit annoying. At a stop sign, it really encourages a "California stop." Don't get me wrong, it's still great overall. It just sounds like Ford's implementation is a bit better. You never know though, Tesla may update the feature to match Ford's approach.

BadaBing

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang & Explorer
Country flag
Tesla's model is great, except that you have just a bit more creep than I'd like. If the car itself is doing the driving in stop & go driving on the freeway it's fine. But if I'm driving and coming up to a red light it's a tiny bit annoying. At a stop sign, it really encourages a "California stop." Don't get me wrong, it's still great overall. It just sounds like Ford's implementation is a bit better. You never know though, Tesla may update the feature to match Ford's approach.
Sounds like you're talking about having creep mode enabled on the Mach-E, but wanting it to creep less than in a Tesla?

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like you're talking about having creep mode enabled on the Mach-E, but wanting it to creep less than in a Tesla?
No, what I'm saying is with "Hold" mode enabled on the Tesla, it blends in the brakes a little later than I'd like to see. Not a huge deal, but a minor annoyance. Reading Ford's website it sounds like Ford is going to blend in the brakes a tad earlier, which I think would be a bit better than Tesla's approach.

OP
OP
Res Nullius

Res Nullius

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-Golf, X3
Country flag
Good explanation about one pedal driving in the Mach-E from the CNET Roadshow ride along review: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ang-awd-first-ride-review-winter-driving.579/

"There's a driver-selectable One Pedal setting that operates independently of whatever Drive Experience is running. Both functions are accessed via the massive, portrait-oriented infotainment screen, and One Pedal is an absolute -- it's on or off, though the rate of deceleration actually varies depending on Drive Experience. For instance, maximum retardation comes in Unbridled, while Whisper (which is not an eco setting) offers the least. I'll have to try this for myself, but I'm tempted to say that I'd rather be able to select my amount of regen, as people's tastes for such things vary greatly."

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
@ResNullius Yea, I would prefer to see something like (Off | Low Regen | High Regen)

Reactions: Nak

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Have one pedal driving in my Tesla. Took a bit of getting used to, but good!

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Same here, have it in the Tesla and it’s just great. So much less tiring than not having it.

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag

Luffie

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e RWD Ext.range TP+
Country flag
Till last week I had never experienced a one pedal drive. The garage gave a electric Mini for the day.

Maybe I have to practise more, but when only lifting my foot a bit, it felt like I was braking roughly and I've felt it in my head which was very annoying.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Till last week I had never experienced a one pedal drive. The garage gave a electric Mini for the day.

Maybe I have to practise more, but when only lifting my foot a bit, it felt like I was braking roughly and I've felt it in my head which was very annoying.
If that was the case, then one pedal driving in the Mini is poorly executed. In a Tesla it's very smooth, very predictable and a pleasure to use. Those who've never experienced good one-pedal driving don't know how much more relaxing it can be. Eliminating the constant gas-brake-gas-brake can be a joy, especially in stop & go driving.
Sponsored

Last edited: