Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
is the one pedal driving mode more efficient in giving better mileage per KWh? What does the car behind the Mach E observe? Do the brake lights illuminate when decelerating? Do you drive more cautiously in one pedal mode. I tried it today while driving in town. Felt clumsy at first but kinda got use to it. The decelerating part is most difficult to control as I am use to coasting some distance before applying braking. However, it appeared the trip indicator suggested better mileage with one pedal.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
In another post on 1PD a forum member posted that there is an accelerometer that illuminates the brake lights as the MME decelerates.

since I do not yet own an MME I am not qualified to answer the rest.

Omar

First Name
OMAR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
Military
Country flag
Yes break light lights up when you use one pedal driving. You get use to it took me about a day and your break pad will last longer since car doesn’t use them.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Had the wife followed me to answer that question. Yes the brake lights come on, no it does not look like you are riding the brakes. The function and benefits of one pedal are just too good not to use for me. You need to get use to how much to ease up on the accelerator for different conditions. You learn pretty quick and should have it mastered within a full day of driving. More mellow way of driving for me and has been on since day one.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It is not that difficult to adjust to using 1PD, just a matter of finesse with pressure on the accelerator / decelerator pedal. One thing to consider, while you know when you will be pressing and easing on the pedal, any passengers will not, so they might not enjoy the feeling, especially if they are prone to motion sickness. Regeneration helps efficiency some, and wear and tear on brakes but maybe not enough to warrant an uncomfortable ride for your passengers.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
If you typically use relative moderate braking (where the friction brakes don’t engage until slower speeds), the 1 pedal driving won’t actually increase your range in any meaningful manner. Even using the brake pedal, the Mach-e uses blended braking, and will always use regeneration on light and moderate braking, until it’s not possible to regenerate more, then it will begin mixing in friction braking. Pretty much every EV and Hybrid (except for Teslas or the BMW i3) does this. If you aren’t a heavy brake user, you’ll only use friction at the slowest end right before stopping (same as 1PD).

However 1PD makes it a LOT easier to maximize your regeneration; it won’t engage the friction brakes until right before stopping, so it optimizes the regeneration. And it is generally more convenient to drive in stop and go traffic. Of course you can always apply more stopping power by using using the pedal if you need to.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
It is not that difficult to adjust to using 1PD, just a matter of finesse with pressure on the accelerator / decelerator pedal. One thing to consider, while you know when you will be pressing and easing on the pedal, any passengers will not, so they might not enjoy the feeling, especially if they are prone to motion sickness. Regeneration helps efficiency some, and wear and tear on brakes but maybe not enough to warrant an uncomfortable ride for your passengers.
I've read this comment about the effect on other passengers a few times on the forum, and for what it's worth, that hasn't been my experience based on five years' experience with two different BMW i3s. First, I know my wife would say something. But also, when she's driving and I've been a passenger, I've never felt unprepared for the stopping. Whether we're used to the feeling, not prone to car sickness or just world class one pedal drivers, I'm not sure.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Ive tried it on and off. You can get a pretty smooth ride with 1 pedal in whisper mode.

The issue is when the car stops the brakes get grabby and you feel a shudder when they release.

In standard mode, I can modulate the brake and use the creep function to.make smooth starts and stops.

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
I'm coasting a significant amount of the time, which gives my foot and leg time to relax. With 1PD aren't you on the pedal 99% of the time? That doesn't seem relaxing to me.

OP
OP
Blackbluff

Blackbluff

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree. With one pedal the foot is in constant contact with the pedal until completely stopped. However, It appears the regenerative braking that you feel with one pedal is contributing to battery life. Friction braking is pure energy loss thru heat.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It appears the regenerative braking that you feel with one pedal is contributing to battery life. Friction braking is pure energy loss thru heat.
Sure, but just because you use the brake pedal doesn’t mean you’re using the friction brakes. And just because you use 1PD does’t mean you’re not using the friction brakes. That’s the whole point of blended braking. You can have the same amount of regeneration with either method.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Sure, but just because you use the brake pedal doesn’t mean you’re using the friction brakes. And just because you use 1PD does’t mean you’re not using the friction brakes. That’s the whole point of blended braking. You can have the same amount of regeneration with either method.
I pick up my Mach E tomorrow but had 300 miles over the last 2 days on a demo unit. I have had a hyundai electric for two years. Not using the one pedal and coasting as much as possible (braking of course when needed to slow or stop) is typically more efficient on an EV than 1 pedal regen coasting. I can add over 25 miles to a charge to my range when coasting with little to no drag. Of course the Hyundai is a very aerodynamic shape with a super low drag coef And has zero resistance when regen is off. When you have to brake, you are using the regenerative brakes and putting energy back in the battery when pressing the pedal. If you press harder, stop quicker, more energy goes to the battery. The hydraulic's are back up or if the ABS/traction is tripped. I have a section of road on my way home from work that I can coast for 2 miles. I plan on doing some extensive efficiency testing and will report which may be better.

This May not Be the case with the Mach E as there seems that there is always resistance when letting off the accelerator pedal, so regen may be programmed all the time instead of free coasting. I will have to drive many ways and figure it out. I kind of miss my freewheeling mode. If the Mach E had that option, I bet with it’s mass, it could coast for over 3-4 miles where I can only do 2 with my Hyundai.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Frankly I’ve been surprised how hard I can get on the brake pedal while still getting 85%+ regen.

I don’t feather it at all and I usually get max or close to max regen with 1PD off. In fact, when I get something low like 50% regen, it’s because someone cut in front of me, the light changed right as I was nearing the intersection, basically something along those lines where I have to make an unanticipated somewhat hard stop.

So I agree completely the Mach-E’s blended braking can handle mild AND moderate braking with regen alone, it is when you need a hard brake or extreme brake where the friction brakes appear to come into play.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Don't forget that the car's motors are in a regenerative state when off throttle and not on the brakes. In Unbridled mode, the regenerative system is pretty aggressive, almost like having the parking brake on.
Sponsored